Dead branch on otherwise healthy plant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I kill the ones in my cucumbers and such with a sharp knife.

I've attached two images: a closeup of the sick looking stem and branch connection and one of the wilted branch.
I've cut the branch off and smeared that wound with aloe vera gel.

Anyone know what caused this and how to treat.
The plant is Banana Punch just about in flower...View attachment 303191View attachment 303192
Thank you all!
I'm attaching 3 post mortem pix: the entire stem; the end that was attached to the main stem; the other end of that piece. Last 2 images are of the main stem and the wound on the main stem. The rest of the plant above and below looks healthy and the main stem is not soft or pulp, nor was the damaged stem.

I guess if its gonna happen, its better now, early in the grow so I don't get complacent.

I think that about the only thing I can do if this has become endemic to my soil is to add hydrogen peroxide to the water. (We've had warm and extremely foggy weather, now clearing and hot so perfect for fusarium I guess. ) Also more diatomaceous earth to make the plant harder to damage.
Again thank you all for advice & sympathy
Stem.jpg
main stem end.jpg
other end.jpg
closeup.jpg
closeup2.jpg

I seemed to have stopped what I have assumed was fusarium wilt (roots were red on plant I partially pulled up and put back in soil) with water and peppermint essential oil. This also worked when I was trying a kratky grow. Many essential oils can stop fungus: Antifungal activities of selected essential oils against Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. lycopersici 1322, with emphasis on Syzygium aromaticum essential oil - PubMed
The plant I pulled up and put back is still alive, not wilting, and seems to want to make a go of it.

I believe I stopped the fusarium with peppermint essential oil. As you can see from the picture, I've left an affected branch on the plant to test my theory. As you can also see: the very dead branch is still dead, the rest of the plant seems to be ok,. Recipe: So maybe 1/2 Cup EO in 35 gallon nutrient reservoir initially; been using smaller amounts of the EO throughout the rest of the grow (30 plants) if I see it popping up. Seems to be working there too. There are a number of other EO's that would work; I just happened to have a lot of peppermint.
Here's a link to NIH to various studies about various EO's effectivity w/regard to soil and other fungi.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27876218/'
1663018149375.png

Latest posts

Back