Decarboxylating yes or no?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKINGRANPA

Reaction score
I am making cannabis coconut oil for cooking and I seem to have hit another one of those 50 different answer modes.
Should I bake my product prior to adding it into the oil?
What is the preferred temp and time?

I see some saying just heat the oil but some indicators state that the THCA needs temps up around 260* (126c) to properly convert to THC.

I'm getting a bit frustrated and have always received good input here so I am looking for any input.

Thank you SG:vap-n15614613_33925vaping away with good old JACK

I personally decarb everything. There is a good thread at Marijuana-Culture re this. Whoever wrote it actually took samples of decarbed and non-decarbed bud from the same plant to a lab. The difference in THC and THCA before and after makes me even more convinced that it is the way to go.

When I made canna caps I did decarb. They were very strong. Too strong.

When you folks decarb, at what temperature and how long do you do it?
I've made canna caps without doing it and they do the trick, but if decarbing will make 'em more potent, I'm in.

Aww, come on! Nobody's gonna share? I did it once years ago, and if I remember right (first time for everything), it was three hundred degrees for a half hour.

Any input? Roesbud? The idea of being "too strong" intrigues me. It means I could use smaller caps instead of those 000 horse caps I'm using now.

From everything I have read, 200F for 20 to 30 minutes.

HG, if you examine the trics with a magnifier before and after decarb, do they look any different?

Is it the dry heat that does it, or just the heat? My crock pot gets to 210 degrees, and I leave the stuff to cook (weed and coconut oil) for a minimum of three hours, most time eight or nine.
I don't dump the stuff directly into the crock. I stick 8 ounces of coconut oil and one ounce of ground weed in a quart mason jar, put the jar in the crock pot, put enough water in the crock pot to come above the level of the weed/oil mixture, but not enough to float/tip the jar. I stick the lid on and forget about it for a while.
After I figure it's time, I pour the mix through a double layer of cheese cloth, squeeze it out, and put the leftover weed in a 20 ounce of brownie mix. Taste like hell but gets the job done. The oil, once it's cooled a bit, is eye droppered into the gel caps and tucked in the freezer.

I made my last batch of coconut oil , baked the bud for 30min at 240* F then simmered the oil and bud for 3hrs.
I made some dino-mite brownies, blueberry crumb cake and a nice zucchini bread

Still enjoying the goodies.

SG

Latest posts

Back