Deficiencies... Could Use Some Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungBuck

Reaction score
I've been having yellowing leaves and brown patches beginning to appear on many of my fan leaves... I'm wondering if anyone had any advice. I thought it may have been phosphorus deficiency, however after adding nutes for two waterings the problem is still persisting... seems to be getting worse. PH of water is 6.3. Growing in FFOF soil. Temp is steady 75 Lights on and 68 Lights off. humidity stays at 42% ish. This is day 14 of flower.

Any Advice is greatly appreciated. This is my first indoor grow.

Attachments

• IMG_0266.JPG
    IMG_0266.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0267.JPG
    IMG_0267.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0268.JPG
    IMG_0268.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0269.JPG
    IMG_0269.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 39
How much are you feeding? How often? You could be over feeding. Flush em and give them a light feed. Ph for soil is usually 6.8

I've only fed them three times with the recommended amount on the back of the lotus nutrient package. 1/2 tsp. per gallon of both boost and bloom. All within the last 1.5 weeks. before that I relied on the FOFF to provide the plants with nutrients.

I think I may have waited to long to feed the plants. They began yellowing approx 3 weeks ago and for some reason I figured the plants would fix them selves(stupid idea). Once I began to notice the brown spots appear(about 10 days ago) I began feeding...

How much are you feeding? How often? You could be over feeding. Flush em and give them a light feed. Ph for soil is usually 6.8

It's actually pretty cool that you're the first person to reply to my first post. I stumbled upon this website and began following your grow pretty diligently.

I actually bought the KIND led because you had one and then you switched it up LOL. The blurple is annoying:mad:

I would like to eventually switch to hydro once I get a few grows under my belt, and I will definatley be paying attention to your old and future posts.

To further elaborate on your original question:

I let the soil dry out until it feels dry to about the second knuckle on my pointer finger, and I split two gallons of water among the (4)five gallon pots. Got about a 1/4 gallon of run off from the 4 pots.

should I be using more than 1/2 tsp. Gallon, what the nutrients say to, since they are meant for hydro?

Again I’m very new to growing lol, I hope I’m not asking stupid questions...

Not at all.
There are some great growers in soil here who will be along to help.
But if i had to guess, they were probably hungry. Now possibly a little overfed as three full doses in that amount of time may be too much. I could be completely wrong. Recovery in soil takes a little longer than hydro, so give them some time and water. dont do what i did on my first few grows, which was to knee jerk and try to help them too much. I burned them and hurt my yeilds. But these are good questions.
I grew some great buds with a kind led. You will too.

Not at all.
There are some great growers in soil here who will be along to help.
But if i had to guess, they were probably hungry. Now possibly a little overfed as three full doses in that amount of time may be too much. I could be completely wrong. Recovery in soil takes a little longer than hydro, so give them some time and water. dont do what i did on my first few grows, which was to knee jerk and try to help them too much. I burned them and hurt my yeilds. But these are good questions.
I grew some great buds with a kind led. You will too.
Thanks Lesso. I just checked the soil and it feels somewhat dry I will probably just add Ph'ed water Tonight. Should I raise the PH to 6.8 or gradually increase it to 6.8 over maybe two waterings?

I'm not familiar with Lotus nutes, but they offer a Cal/Mag supplement that I'd look into.

I had some of those necrotic spots on one of my strains last time out - I diagnosed Calcium deficiency, but am unsure if that was ultimately correct or not. The plants did respond to a degree and were fine. The yellowing is common Magnesium deficiency, I'd say.

https://growershouse.com/lotus-nutrients-pro-series-calmag -- I don't know this company, but they had a picture

I'm not familiar with Lotus nutes, but they offer a Cal/Mag supplement that I'd look into.

I had some of those necrotic spots on one of my strains last time out - I diagnosed Calcium deficiency, but am unsure if that was ultimately correct or not. The plants did respond to a degree and were fine. The yellowing is common Magnesium deficiency, I'd say.

https://growershouse.com/lotus-nutrients-pro-series-calmag -- I don't know this company, but they had a picture
I seen they had the Pro Series... I went to a local hydro store and picked up a 1/2 gallon of cal/mag (cheaper) they had some pictures of tomatoes on them lol. The recommended dosage is like 1 tsp. to gallon. I've only ever gave them one feeding with the cal/mag I bought...

I'm using tap water with a Brita filter on it. I don't check the PPMS often but im pretty sure my last reading was like 60 ppms from the tap before I add nutes.

My experience is only from what I have read online, but I'm pretty sure i recalled reading somewhere that tap water contains Calcium/Magnesium.

How often should I introduce additional cal/mag in my feedings?

I'd actually jack up the pH to 7 for the next watering or two to correct for how low it was. You want to bring up the residual pH in the soil itself. Then go back to 6.8. This looks like ph lockout to me. Hungry plants that are just nitrogen deficient don't go directly to stripey very often; the leaves are more likely to get uniformly pale from the bottom up, and then start dying. You've locked out magnesium by giving them acidic water. Thats the most common cause of distinctively striped leaves. Happens all the time, easy to fix:
A pinch or two of Epsom salts plus a drop of dish soap in a quart sprayer of warm water will help - mist the plants lightly with this every couple days for a week as you are also fixing the soil pH. I wouldn't add more variables into your feeding quite yet.

I'd actually jack up the pH to 7 for the next watering or two to correct for how low it was. You want to bring up the residual pH in the soil itself. Then go back to 6.8. This looks like ph lockout to me. Hungry plants that are just nitrogen deficient don't go directly to stripey very often; the leaves are more likely to get uniformly pale from the bottom up, and then start dying. You've locked out magnesium by giving them acidic water. Thats the most common cause of distinctively striped leaves. Happens all the time, easy to fix:
A pinch or two of Epsom salts plus a drop of dish soap in a quart sprayer of warm water will help - mist the plants lightly with this every couple days for a week as you are also fixing the soil pH. I wouldn't add more variables into your feeding quite yet.
Okay I will give this shot! I will adjust the PH to 7.0 on the watering tonight.

And as far as the dish soap goes what kind should I use? I'm pretty sure I got some Dawn at the house, will this work? might be scented tho not sure. (Currently at work)

By the way thanks for all the advice guys! Really do appreciate the experienced views I'm getting!

Doesn't matter, just regular mild dish soap or even liquid hand soap only one drop. It's just there as a spreader/sticker for the magnesium sulfate.

Doesn't matter, just regular mild dish soap or even liquid hand soap only one drop. It's just there as a spreader/sticker for the magnesium sulfate.
YB is in week 2 of flower so he probably doesnt want to foliar feed any later than week 3, correct?

Latest posts

Back