Defoiliation and pruning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonnieB

Reaction score
Ive learned that when defoiliating to inspect the nodes on my branches. Any branches with 1 or 2 nodes get cut. These are the branches that create those airy buds that waste energy of the plant. What do you do? Prune or let them grow?

I learned a little trick that kinda went against everything i had believed. When my girls reach around week 6 or 7 weeks in flower i cut all fan leaves and bigger sugar leaves off. The buds/fruit will do everything that's needed with the sun/photosynthesis that's needed.Tomatoes grow just fine without a lot of leaves when the fruit is established. I got bigger buds doing just that. And all the energy in the last weeks of flower are put toward the buds not leaves.
If ya dont believe me,,try it.

Last edited:
Ive learned that when defoiliating to inspect the nodes on my branches. Any branches with 1 or 2 nodes get cut. These are the branches that create those airy buds that waste energy of the plant. What do you do? Prune or let them grow?
cut the lower branches if they don't come up to at least mid height on the plant...if the get low light they drain the plant...

cut the lower branches if they don't come up to at least mid height on the plant...if the get low light they drain the plant...
I did. It was a bit of a learning curve. But got it figured out.

My general rule of thumb is if it is over 12" from the canopy top before I flip it, take it off. I've gone 6" before but my light penetrates enough to hit those at 12" even with the stretch.

Im buying a new light and this will make things easier. Electric sky vs300 is the winner

Depending on the light, i try to make each branch that i leave on the plant with 2 to 3 internodes, i remove the lower nodes on the branch and leave their adjacent fan leaf so the energy is focused on the top buds. The buds grow to be much bigger and more dense. This is one video that explains it thoroughly >>>

Latest posts

Back