Defoliation During Bloom

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy Bagseed

Reaction score
Hey guys! Been pretty busy the last week or so after killing off the three GIANT male plants. I cleaned everything very well as suggested and spread the remaining three ladies out. We hit day 22 of bloom today and there are many bloom sites all over the plants. Though 40'' tall I've been bending the stank outta the stems and bud sites are developing nicely across the canopy and lower on the plants as well. I've only REALLY taken the larger fan leaves and a couple of times a week I trim leaves blocking light penetration.
The plants are healthy and happy I hate to remove more than is needed. "If it ain't broke..."? I read someone's comment about popcorn buds to go along with his colas. First grow and I'm taking the long route. I have plenty of time and am not SO concerned with the total yield this grow but .... I must admit, Popcorn and Colas sounds good to me. I have great air circulation and everyone's happily waving through the foliage.
How soon before harvest should the excess leaf be removed to be most beneficial to flower quality?
Thanks Ya'll

Last day, anything after day 24, shocks em too much and will neg your yield. JMO

Keep it simple on your first grow. Dont defoliate on this round. Gather some baseline data.

I was just trimming some of these small leaves around the base and I accidentally split a branch coming off of a node? I guess that what I would call it. I just kind of taped it back together and am hoping it will mend itself. No more trimming. Lol

Alrighty then. The bent stems have just about 'woodened' up, too. The buds are getting bigger and whiter but not fatter yet; though they are beginning to show tiny sugar leaves inside. Just plain beautiful to look at, but no real odor yet; other than armpit. I'll try to take more sorry a$$ pics later in the week.
Thanks for all your help with this cherry boy grow ...

Keep it simple on your first grow. Dont defoliate on this round. Gather some baseline data.
Yeah man that's it. Fer shure I've puh-lenty of data with this one. Next time up will make more sense as a result, too. Thanks, Lesso

The cable tie can be handy when breaking a branch , Ive snapped heaps when scroging cable tie and tape they carry on .

Yeah man that's it. Fer shure I've puh-lenty of data with this one. Next time up will make more sense as a result, too. Thanks, Lesso

I defoliated the snot out of a scrog plant I have going last week. It is my first real attempt at defoliation and I may have gone overboard but looking in on my thread may give you some insight into defoliation and how it affects the final outcome. My reason to defoliate was I would like larger colas with fewer or no popcorn.

I defoliated the snot out of a scrog plant I have going last week. It is my first real attempt at defoliation and I may have gone overboard but looking in on my thread may give you some insight into defoliation and how it affects the final outcome. My reason to defoliate was I would like larger colas with fewer or no popcorn.
I've been nosing around over there to your past and ongoing projects; very impressive. I'm still having big fun with it all and plan to have a perpetual garden. I've taken pretty good notes(handwritten on a printed calendar) along the way. It's interesting to see how those first few pinches above the fifth node have shaped them to the bushy, leggy, ladies they have grown into. Plenty can still go wrong but if it does I'll do it different next time. This forum is aptly named, imo.
Thanks OF8!

The cable tie can be handy when breaking a branch , Ive snapped heaps when scroging cable tie and tape they carry on .
Right now I'm using velcro tape like I used on my 'maters. https://www.homedepot.com/p/VELCRO-Brand-45-ft-Plant-Tie-91384/202261952
it's reusable, too. Some stems are bent and attached to other stems and on two I have small bamboo stakes to tie off on. I DO have cable ties and some stems are still stretching but at this stage I'd be a'skeered to bend them old stems.
Thanks QBC!

I defoliate them like crazy. I take off most of the fan leaves first, then start with the rest. It’s good to open the plants up and let the light shine in. I start after they finished their initial jump in height after week 1 flowering and go until they are ready. A lot at first, mostly the larger ones making shade, then a little at a time as you approach the harvest.

If you have healthy plants it shouldn’t shock them. It will promote bud growth, especially inside the plant where most people get nothing.

Just my opinion and experience....

I defoliate them like crazy. I take off most of the fan leaves first, then start with the rest. It’s good to open the plants up and let the light shine in. I start after they finished their initial jump in height after week 1 flowering and go until they are ready. A lot at first, mostly the larger ones making shade, then a little at a time as you approach the harvest.

If you have healthy plants it shouldn’t shock them. It will promote bud growth, especially inside the plant where most people get nothing.

Just my opinion and experience....

I'm reading up on how to do this .... sometime in the future.

Attachments

• colas.jpg
    colas.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Back