Did the dEVIL CURSE MY WEED PATCH?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeytail

Reaction score
i HAVE BEEN TALKING WITH THE FORUM FOR ABOUT A YEAR, AND DID UPGRADE TO THE NEW t5 HIGH OUTPUT LIGHTS . i HAVE 5 24 WATT LIGHTS AND MY PLANTS UNDERNEATH , RIGHT ABOVE THEM (ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT). THEY GROW IRREGULAR , IN SPURTS BUT FROM WHAT i REMEMBER I HAD BETTER PLANTS GROW FROM REGULAR FLOURESCENT LIGHT. tHE LIGHTS KEEP MY GROWBOX AT ABOUT 30 CELSIUS WITH 20 PERCENT HUMIDITY.

fOR THE FIRST WHILE THEY GROW BETTER IN LOW HUMIDITY AND THEN THEY SEEM TO STOP IN THERE TRACKS.

i HAVE HUMIDIFIERS i CAN USE BUT THEY INCREASE THE HUMIDITY TO ABOUT 40 PERCENT AND HEAT TOO. WITHOUT ANY BENEFIT THAT i SEE.

Of course the basement was cool , and the miniheater and humidifier still didnt go much above 27 celsius. With about 40 percent humidity. The trouble with forums is alot of people are high!!!

i AM CONFUSED. i HAD BETTER LUCK WITH A FLOURESCENT IN THE SAME GROWBOX, THE ONLY DIFFERENCE WERE THE SEEDS AND THE CABINET WAS IN A BASEMENT SUMPROOM.

i GOT HIGH HUMIDITY AND LOWER TEMPERATURES. uSING WILD SEEDS.

It sounds like temps may be your problem. 30c is a bit high especially if they aren't getting good ventilation. Are you keeping a fan blowing on them? I have noticed that in high temps(even allowable range) if the humidity is very low and the lights are close to the plants then they are getting hot and dry. They will curl to try to conserve water and release heat. Are they using a lot of water? If so then that is the problem. The T5s shouldn't hurt the plants if the other conditions are right.

I would try to make sure that there is plenty of fresh air blowing around the tops of the plants, and either lower the temps to about 23-24c or find a way to raise the humidity. If the lights are right on the plants, then raise them just about 10cm and put a bowl of water in there to increase the humidity, unless you can increase the ventilation and get the humidity higher that way(which would be the best way IMO) :)

After going back and rereading yer post, I am inclined to think you are not getting fresh air from outside of the grow space. Ventilation is critical for good growth and yeild. The high output T5 lights will produce more heat than the regular flourescent lights as they are also producing more radiance which gives heat as well. exausting the older stale air from up high in the space and pulling in cooler fresh cooler air from down low then having some fans to stir up the air and cool the tops of the plants will change the whole dynamic of the grow.

monkeytail said:
The trouble with forums is alot of people are high!!!

You mean medicated? lol, ofcourse is that not the whole idea.
I'd take HPs advice and get some fresh air in there asap

It's all about the lumens and spectrum. How large is your space? I am thinking that you are probably underlit. The 24W T5s only put out 2000 lumens, so you are good for a space about 1 ft x 3 ft. If your space is larger than that, you are underlit. The T5s that I run are 54W and emit 5000 lumens per tube. I also keep my T5s really really close to the top of my plants--an inch or 2.

Hushpuppy said:
It sounds like temps may be your problem. 30c is a bit high especially if they aren't getting good ventilation. Are you keeping a fan blowing on them? I have noticed that in high temps(even allowable range) if the humidity is very low and the lights are close to the plants then they are getting hot and dry. They will curl to try to conserve water and release heat. Are they using a lot of water? If so then that is the problem. The T5s shouldn't hurt the plants if the other conditions are right.

I had exhaust 110 cfm on a 24 x 19 inch space. The draft intake is from a 25 degree room. So humidity is hard, even with a humidifier I get 40 percent constant. But thats alot of watering, the humidifier everyday.

At the 25 degree temperature range, they seem to get cold and stop growing. The leaves curl up to the light if I lower the light to them , or they dont grow at that temp.

I just added an 110 intake fan , but its intake is my livingroom at 25 degrees celsius and dry .. so I can adjust the fans for a few days and see what I can do to get the temps down and humidity and circulation up.

I've also just readded a warm air humidifier but I will have to make sure I can keep the temps low. But with exhausting the air , moisture is hard. I hope I dont have to relocate the growbox to a basement. What do apartment dwellers do?????

These are just seedlings and use little water.. I want to set my timer to turn the lights off for a few hours to lower heat also.

I am not sure, If you can post a pic of the setup so that we can see what's happening maybe we can better diagnose the problem. Are you in hydro or soil? What kind of medium? how old are the plants? are they from bagseed or commercial?

If your humidity is low use less nutes since the plants are taking more water from the soil to keep up with transpiration.

Latest posts

Back