digilux hps bulb on an old school magnetic ballast ? says specifically digital

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budking

hydroking
Reaction score
Any one us digilux bulbs on magnetic ballasts. They are the bright bulb on the market but I don't have digital ballasts.

I do not have/use hps magnetic ballast, but this is what distributor says about them.

plantlightinghydroponics.com said:
Engineered to operate on electronic digital ballasts; not recommended for use with magnetic ballasts

If they are not recommended for magnetic ballasts, I would not use them in one.

I do have to say that over the years, I have purchased many different brands of HPS bulbs and I have never found any difference in growth or quality from expensive bulbs versus inexpensive bulbs. I like to change my bulbs out every 6-8 months or so and have taken to just buying the less expensive bulbs. This is another area where I believe there is exaggerated sales hype--I really do not know that any bulb is significantly superior to another, although I do look for bulbs with higher lumens.

I'm just purchasing the lights 600w HPS should I go with a digital ballast? Is it worth the extra money? Help

Being an electronics technician, I have seen a lot of stuff happen with electronics. I believe the magnetic ballasts are more reliable than the digis but where they are inferior is in the power output, they have a tendency to hum and buzz, they run hotter than the digis, and are quite heavy. The downside for digis are the solid state electronics pushing a lot of voltage and considerable current causes them to be more subject to failure. I have seen some expensive electronics fail way too early, but I have also seen some cheap electronic last a lifetime. All that said, I run digital ballasts with the more expensive bulbs (not the most expensive but middle of the pack) :)

i have all magnetic ballasts and they were super cheap and im going on 6 years lol so they def are reliable. i think ill just stick with hortilux

Latest posts

Back