Dilemma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getnasty

Reaction score
In another 2 weeks, my plants are going to be rather large for flip time. They'realready 2 feet tall at almost 7 weeks and still haven't shown sex. I hear late sex showers are usually the females, so my fingers are crossed. However, I suspect that they're going to be rather large in 2 weeks when I can afford the new light. Any tips on helping keep them low in preparation for the flip when they take off?

topping or training them would be your best bet. Mayhaps take a cpl starts while yer at it...

edit: lol...yah hit the post button quick THG...lol.

Yeah I wld top the hell out of them, and bend and tie down whatever I cld...jmo

I just fimmed one and topped the other a couple weeks ago now, I believe. Mayhaps this is a good time to keep topping the one I topped and fimming the one I dimmed to see the difference in yields first hand? Sounds like a cool experiment. How do you guys recommend tying them down? Pics are in the gj below, but im in a 4x x 2.5 ft are with about 7 feet of headroom. Should I trim the lower fan leaves and take clones from bottom nodes now?

I like to trim the bottom 1/4-1/3 and take my clones at that time as well. As for lst I use pipe cleaners and drill small anchor holes in the rim of the pot. I love pipe cleaners because they are very versatile. Jmo

My concern is how large they are and how thick the stalk is, and tying them down doesn't appear to be an option without altering how I have everything setup.

Can I fim new growth off of the mainstem to get the same effect? Im probably going to need stakes to support the cola's soon, aren't I?

Not to throw everything out of wack for you but if you want to bend them some and slow the upward growth look into "supercropping". It is basically using your fingers to "gently" crush a small section of stem so that it becomes flimsey enough to bend it over. Once done, the plant will begin repairing the crush site and will form a very sturdy "knuckle" over the spot that was crushed.

If you do this and you want to keep the stem bent over, you will have to tie them down as the plant will repair it and stand the stem right back up. I have done this and didn't tie the stems and came back the next day to find they were all standing right back up. But if you do it over all the stems that are standing the tallest, it will slow the upward growth and buy you another few days after each "crush", and will make those heavy bud carriers more sturdy for sure. :)

Ah, I didn't know that was supercropping! I've been doing that since week 2 or so to get the stems more sturdy. :D just did it to the top ones earlier today, trimmed the bottom of the other plant and took some clones. Fingers crossed for females. Week 72 and still no signs yet. I can't even make out preflowers.

It may take flipping the lights on them to get them to show sex. I have seen that before with some plants, I don't know why it happens.... It's just my thinking but I would go ahead and flip them myself after taking all the cuttings that I need. Just keep an eye on them for the next week or two until they all show good so that you can be sure you don't have any males popping up. Make sure to mark all of the cuttings so that if you do have a male pop up, you can remove the matching cuttings as well. :)

Latest posts

Back