Dimable ballest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hero4u2b

Reaction score
Hey everyone.. Does anyone use a dimable ballest? is it worth the extra few bucks or should I by pass this feature on a light? I know a fan speed control is a must for sound but am wondering about the dimable ballest thing. Thanks Hero

Do you envision a scenario when you would want to dim your ballast? I have a dimmable ( :giggle: not sure this is a real word) ballast, but have never used the dim function and doubt that I will unless I move the light to a smaller space. I just found a good deal on a dimmable one when I needed a new ballast and bought it.

Hmm I would guess it would have to be for veg but I am happy with my CFL's and got gr8 results with them.. Guess I wont be needing one then.. will go with a regular digital ballest then for flowering. Thanks appriciate it. Hero

I have 3, I run a 1000 watt metal halide bulb dimmed to 400 watts during veg for the first 4 weeks then turn it up to 600 for the next 2 weeks and then I switch to a 600 watt HPS for flower. It works great for me now, it took me a while to work the kinks out. I do this mainly out of convenience for me so that I do not have to have more lights than I already have since my veg and flower room are one in the same. JMO

I have not seen a dimmable 1000W that you can take down to 400W--what brand is it?

hero4u2b said:
Hmm I would guess it would have to be for veg but I am happy with my CFL's and got gr8 results with them.. Guess I wont be needing one then.. will go with a regular digital ballest then for flowering. Thanks appriciate it. Hero

My advice is dont dimm in vegg either, I believe in maximum lumens.

I have not seen a dimmable 1000W that you can take down to 400W--what brand is it?
It is a Sun System Galaxy, it does 400, 600, 1000 and has a turbo mode that will do a little more than 1000 but they warn that it might decrease the life of the bulb. I seldom post here but I read alot, i watch THG and HL among a few others the most. This is my 8th grow and I am still learning. My last harvest was .72 grams per watt and that was after throwing away some due to bud rot. I bought one of the ballasts 10 months before the other two and the first one has the interference and the other two do not, I wonder if they have figured out the interference problem. The interference that I am talking about is that it messes with my meters. Thanks for everybodys help here!!!

Latest posts

Back