Dirt Farmin` / Best Cheap Device

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yooper420

Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
A very cheap device, $10.00 or less, that you can use everyday to keep from over watering your girls. It`s a very simple to use Moisture Meter. Ya stick it in the dirt and read what the needle points to. Easy enough huh ? I have used one for over forty years. Use it and believe it.

View attachment IMG_0431.jpg

View attachment IMG_0430.jpg

Some of those are worthless meters, but some of them are real good. :)

I stick a bamboo skewer in the pot. If it is damp they don't get water. If it is dry I give 'em a drink. Accurate, never breaks and the battery lasts forever.:vap_bong__emoticon:

Hushpuppy,
Never ran across a bad one.

St Nick,
No batteries needed.

Yes, pick up the pot for weight or I always stick my finger way down in the pot to see if it is really dry, which is what I want before watering again. The truth be known I just usually look at my plants and I know...a little before the wilting starts. ha.

Picking up the pot to feel for weight works great, until they become too big. Then I gotta have another way. Stick your finger in the dirt ? I water from the bottom only, which will leave the top 2"-3" dry. This dry soil on top eliminates soil knats. Also grow a large pot of Marigolds along with my MJ girls. Marigolds drive other bugs away. Do agree that after a few grows you can tell by looking at `em if they need a drink or not.

I do like Rosebud, when I see a little wilting starting to happen it is time to water and I know they have had their dry cycle.

I'll keep the meter in mind if I put my mothers in (shudder) dirt. I'm used to looking at numbers when it comes to hydro, so it would fit in the routine.

The grow I set up for my friend was plagued with the buggers. An inch of sand on top finally stopped them cold. (thanks for the tip, Boozo!)

just pick the pot up, no tools needed

^^^^^THAT^^^^^

Now, I've gotten to the point where I only need to nudge the pot with my foot, or a slight kick. This is much easier on the back with the larger containers, mostly outdoors.

Does take a bit of practice, but not that hard.

Wet

Latest posts

Back