Dirt Farmin` / Favorite Dirt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
to get rid of the gnats, use a top layer of diatomaceous earth

to get rid of the gnats, use a top layer of diatomaceous earth

This works with Sunshine and, say, GH 3 part Flora line? I have them and they are mostly just annoying, and I'd like to rid them as best as I can. I currently just use sticky traps and get them at the "fruit fly" stage.

Unlike Giggy, I do not worry about ordering stuff online even though my state has some strict penalties also. However ordering soil online can be terribly expensive. I cannot get Sunshine Mix or Promix around where I live. I use a product that I get from Home Depot as a base and then add stuff. It is called Kellogg's PatioPlus. It is certified organic and has things like lime and perlite already added. I think it is only available in the NW.

This works with Sunshine and, say, GH 3 part Flora line? I have them and they are mostly just annoying, and I'd like to rid them as best as I can. I currently just use sticky traps and get them at the "fruit fly" stage.
there are no issues with nutes that I know of. if top watering it can leave small gaps in the coverage, but bottom feeding fixes that problem

Watering from the bottom only also alleviates the gnat problem. This will leave the top several inches of soil dry, works same as putting the diatomaceous earth or a layer of sand on top. Main thing ....bye, bye gnats.

So.. water my catch trays? This leads me to one decision then; need larger catch trays! :D

Thanks Umbra and Yooper :aok:

i'm gonna see if i can find some sunshine 4, never have heard of it. home depot has some stuff called jungle forest that i do not like the looks of so i never tried it. and i'll never but scott's organic again, too many sticks.
Jungle forest and most a hardware stores are already full if nutes. Promix and sunshine 4 are both mostly peat moss and perlite. Promix has the mychrochorzie for roots and sunshine has something similar.

Jungle forest and most a hardware stores are already full if nutes. Promix and sunshine 4 are both mostly peat moss and perlite. Promix has the mychrochorzie for roots and sunshine has something similar.

Sunshine = Coco coir, Perlite, Meat Moss, a Multi-species Blend of Endomycorrhizae (Mycorrhizae)

Copy / Paste:
Mycorrhizae refers to fungi that form mutually beneficial relationships with plants. These fungi grow either inside of a plant’s roots (endomycorrhizae) or attach to the root surface (ectomycorrhizae). Mycorrhizae benefit host plants by penetrating and/or surrounding their roots with fungal hyphae (fine, root-like structures) that branch out into the soil, helping the plants better absorb nutrients and water. In turn, the plants feed the mycorrhizal fungi. It’s a win-win all around!

Sunshine is usually contained in a bag. (song reference) :laugh:

Watering from the bottom only also alleviates the gnat problem. This will leave the top several inches of soil dry, works same as putting the diatomaceous earth or a layer of sand on top. Main thing ....bye, bye gnats.

Will also remove several inches of prime root growing area.

there is some mystery about mycorrhiazal fungi, lol. people eat them all the time. this what a truffle is.

Will also remove several inches of prime root growing area.

Never caused me a problem. After harvest, when I unpot and clean everything up the root ball was mostly in the bottom half of the pot. This was when I watered from the top or both. Now only from the bottom. Did not really notice much difference between the 2 ways. Pots I use are about 4 1/2 - 5 gallon. Use small clay saucers and small clay pots in the bottom of the big one to help draw the moisture up. Works great for me.

Never caused me a problem. After harvest, when I unpot and clean everything up the root ball was mostly in the bottom half of the pot. This was when I watered from the top or both. Now only from the bottom. Did not really notice much difference between the 2 ways. Pots I use are about 4 1/2 - 5 gallon. Use small clay saucers and small clay pots in the bottom of the big one to help draw the moisture up. Works great for me.

Never said it would cause problems, just that it removed several inches of prime root growing area. Most plants the roots like air and moisture and this zone occurs at the upper levels the easiest. Phil Narto has an interesting read called "Roots Dymistified" that explains it quite well.

Sunshine mix#4 or ProMix for my garden. Just gotta watch out for the pre-nuted ProMix.... it is crap.

AM,
OK, sounds like one vote each huh ?

Voting Update :
Sunshine #4...|||||
Mix Your Own...|||||||
ProMix...|||
Canna Terra Pro...|

I mix my own from MG Seed Starter, Perlite, and Sweet Lime. I don't have access to anything else so I learned to make due.

You have been making that work well for a fair number of years now.:vap-Bong_smoker:

Use the peat moss from the people who make SS#4, Premier peat moss. In fact, I was using it before they ever made SS, or the other name (One is out west and one in the east. Same product, different names).

Anyway, Premier and their products are pretty much the highest quality you can source AFA peat moss.

Wet

Latest posts

Back