Dispenaries refuse medicine grown by members

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You hit it with the "Marketing" too there NCH. You will have to know ahead of time what the market wants. A few years ago, it was the OG strains and still is to an extent. The above mentioned Strawberry Cough was very popular last year due to some Medical research on it specific to Multiple Sclerosis. A couple years ago, everyone wanted to smoke a "Purple" strain.

In Humboldt County, they have a dispensary, in Arcata, a Co-op to be exact. This business does buy from members. They give you the criteria when you join. You must give them a few grams (cant remember how many) of your product. When they get it a panel will then smoke it. This panel evaluates it and decides what they will offer you for your herb. You are then free to take the cash or not. This process takes a few days before you get the offer. Their prices go from very high to very low for their clients. Remember this is Arcata, where supposedly one in four homes grow indoor.

I agree with NCH, never get comfortable. Things have changed dramatically just in the last four years I have been growing.

ozzydiodude said:
IME people that put down outdoor grows and growing just have not learned how to grow out doors.
:yeahthat:
Even if it became legalized. I wouldn't buy it at a store/dispensary...grow my own till the day I can't :farm:

do you guys really believe this.

do you really believe that i couldnt grow in soil :rofl:

everyone started somewhere...its where you end up that matters ;)

It may be my opinion but i will never have a passion for outdoor. In today's age, in any clinic, there is "top shelf" indoor and there is outdoor. Its like that for a reason. Medical providers create their medicine in a controlled enviornment free of any outside influences. Therefore i do not consider outdoor a good enough quality for medication. Who knows what could have crawled into your bud and died.

LOOK GUYS. Im not trying to change anyones mind, not trying to convince anyone of anything. I have my views so take or leave it.

But to ASSUME someone cant grow outdoor because they have a predisposition to it. Well thats ignorant.

OG No one has said you can't grow outside but all you ever do is put it down, Some of us were growing before the big indoor growing craz started(not me I ain't that old). If you would post that you tried and couldn't grow outside I would say every post you ever made was bull. Growing outside is not hard but mastering it is same with indoors, you have to pay attention to the plants and see what they want.

it is most definately not all i ever do! i put it down it the same identical last two thread i have posted in.

All other OD threads i purposely try to stay out of...right.?...right.!

I agree one can master outdoor just like it takes to master indoor.

let me be clear:
ALL I WAS GETTING AT IS AN UNCONTROLLABLE ENVIORNMENT NEGATIVELY AFFECTS YIELD. OUTDOOR GROWING IS AN UNCONTROLLABLE ENVIORNMENT.

Not to mention proper scientific testing can never be performed on a outdoor crop. Too many variables from season to season.

I am a scientist. Testing things is what i do. i apologize if my findings disturb some.

Hey OG I always tell the Mrs. that its bugs barbequing any time a doob or pipeload sizzles or does anything strange.Crawled into Your Bud and died!!! It's the lettuce's and fresh greens, the apples and oranges you need to worry about,man I need a bigger grow room!!!,Anyway all this talk about dispenserys got me cravin some exotics, at 10 bucks a gram, I can't help myself. I tried this Gucci kush the other day, pretty decent, but i haven't found anything close to aroma and flavor of the weed we grew in the late 70s,plenty of Trichomes, but not much stink.
A friend gave me three blueberry Clones last night, he grew them from feminized seed, ( HMMM interesting clones), I thanked him and put them in a small outdoor greenhouse, today i saw they had mites!!!! What goes around comes around. Nice Friend!!! I gave em a shot of AVID, and i'll put them somewhere outside.There not comin in the house. I wish i knew if they were really blueberry??? I mean this dude's growin clones from seed, who knows what this stuff is. Hey OZZIEDUDE, it is a crazy world, and it is cool, I'm gonna go see if the Easter Bunny hid anything in the back yard, It sucks now that the Grandkids are teenidiots,i mean agers, nobody wants to play!!!

make sure you don't wear the same clothes to the indoor grow either dude..hitch hiking lil crap heads.

What's funny is there is no catagory for green house weed... Is it indoor? Is it outdoor? I suppose arguements could be made for either way, and yet it is an untapped, marketable expression..

Kinda wonder though, how many people would load up a bowl of something that tastes great and smokes you silly, and then cry about it when they found out it came from someones back yard? In that respect, I doubt anyone would even give a crap. So then why the segregated market? Indoor weed, wether it is superior or equal, is the only thing left keeping the industry afloat for the simple reason it is harder to come by. That's not to say it is hard to come by at all, just in comparison. If more than half the folks you know that grow outdoor are still sitting on most of last years harvest, then there is a valid reality to the neccessity of an indoor model. The outdoor market is headed down a one way street, sadly straight into conglomeration. Mass product funneled under one roof like other commodities. Can you imagine a day where growers would be paid not to grow? The outdoor market is already experiencing the choke out, and it's not even legal yet. Simply dumbfounding.. And yet the "bottled water" of weed will still remain in that specialized indoor market. But is it really better than the incredibly abundant water from our tap? That question, regardless of all the testing on earth, will remain irrelevent as long as there is a consumer base willing to aknowledge (and subsequently pay for) what they believe is a superior product. Bottom line is, IMO, the constantly growing and bloated outdoor market is already shot to hell. If you grow outdoor in a dispensary rich area/state you have no right to any expectations of being compensated in any manner. This will never recover, at least in the sense of how most pot growers think it should. Like NCH said, this is the time to step up your game. In a washed out environement where every backyard and every outdoor grow plot is just like the thousands and thousands before it do something different, because you are hardly standing out. And every year more and more and more growers make sure that remains the truth. It amazes me that I still see posts from peeps that want to move to a legal state to make their living growing pot. 99.99% of them convinced that simply dropping beans in the garden will get them in the fast lane and yet, it doesn't take long before they eating that crow sandwich..

That cable show Weeds had it right all along, didn't they? Remember the opening song? "They're all made out of ticky tack, and they all look just the same"? Man, how friggin' ironic is that?? When you move to Cali or Colorado and you aren't coming in with innovative and super fresh ideas, guess what group you fall into? It ain't the fast lane group.. It's the busted out group, plain and simple. I say this for the benefit of anyone wanting to break into this market (Which I DO NOT claim to be a member..). If you don't have a well defined and thought out plan, then don't waste yours or anyone elses time. Simply put, just go straight to indoor. If that is not an option, but you are still determined to do it, bring your "A" game, 'cause anything less than that is a guarenteed membership into the hall of has-beens. Grow that outdoor crop, but be prepared to hash the whole thing.. Shift your vision. Consider the highly potential and fast growing world of edibles. Consider specialty extraction products. Consider the world of salves, lotions and other means of medical applications. Or, like so many broke and failed operations before you, don't. Indoor and outdoor will never be defined in a lab. Like Perrier or Aquafina, it will be defined by it's label in society. Just like OG and NCH said, if you don't have a name, then all you got is bills and I hear McDonalds is hiring...

Grow that outdoor crop, but be prepared to hash the whole thing..
:hubba: hash just makes life soo much easier.

Mutt said:
:hubba: hash just makes life soo much easier.

I really do believe this is the way, Mutt.. As side industries become more mainstream, then there is opportunity here for more distribution. The trick is finding what it is your target industry expects in terms of raw product. If I am producing topical analgesics, why on earth would I waste my time buying 40 pounds of perfectly trimmed and cured buds when I could get 4 pounds of processed material for the same price? The incredible influx of product and consequent drop in pricing really sets the stage. Now what I am looking for is that smart and entrepreneuring soul that taylors his product to my needs, allowing me all the time in the world to ignore the rest of the growers that don't ;)

Also solves storage issues, lessen bulk weight, and you just hash the whole plant. Skip dry and cure, just make cakes. speeds everything up. :hubba:
Often thought of doing Butane runs on a whole plant. bulk oil for cooking. :eek: but i know no medmj law allows oils like that. :(

OG...you are just plain incorrect my friend. I too laughed at outdoor....until I went to Mendo this season and hooked up with some old friends that have been doing it for years. Flipped me right around.

And yes, I do not believe that you could grow top notch outdoor at all, not slamming you, we (me included) cannot just jump in and grow top notch outdoor, even if we think we have indoor mastered, complete different monster, and if you think otherwise, you are kidding yourself.Not assuming you can't grow bomb outdoor, I guarantee it.

Never Assume anything about growing man, allways keep your mind open, one of the toughest things to Master as a grower....you can NEVER know it all.

IE. Chemdawg outdoor....to the Divinity tree in DECEMBER...paid 3600 and took it all. It was better then any of the indoor they had.
They had one particular plant that yeilded 9 lb's. Not a typo.
The herb they produced was top notch outdoor and riviled 85% of the indoor I see.
BUT....there is still that 15% that slaps all herbs...indoor and outdoor.
I do agree that an indoor grow maintained correctly and with high quality strains cannot be equaled to outdoor for sure. Stacking Caylx...what Indoor is all about.

Speaking of Hash...we have made upwards of 12 pounds so far this year....off of outdoor trim. Indoor or outdoor, the Hash is the same, but outdoor gives you quite a bit more sugar trim.

The Market.
The Market is in the middle of flipping. Wholesale prices are going up. Well, for top shelf, as there is not enough. I really didn't think it was going to happen this year, but alas, it is.
What I see the Market demanding is still Kush, as the bottom dropped out for purps. Skywalker, Larry, Fire OG's are in HIGH demand. Chem 91' and pretty much anythin that belongs to the "Family" is in high demand. I get alot of requests for Blue Dream too, which suprises me.
As a Vendor, I have found that a high quality Extract is a GREAT way to get into the door at most dispensaries. Extracts are more and more popular along with edibles, but the extracts is a great "key".

NorCalHal said:
OG...you are just plain incorrect my friend. I too laughed at outdoor....until I went to Mendo this season and hooked up with some old friends that have been doing it for years. Flipped me right around.

And yes, I do not believe that you could grow top notch outdoor at all, not slamming you, we (me included) cannot just jump in and grow top notch outdoor, even if we think we have indoor mastered, complete different monster, and if you think otherwise, you are kidding yourself.Not assuming you can't grow bomb outdoor, I guarantee it.

Never Assume anything about growing man, allways keep your mind open, one of the toughest things to Master as a grower....you can NEVER know it all.

IE. Chemdawg outdoor....to the Divinity tree in DECEMBER...paid 3600 and took it all. It was better then any of the indoor they had.
They had one particular plant that yeilded 9 lb's. Not a typo.
The herb they produced was top notch outdoor and riviled 85% of the indoor I see.
BUT....there is still that 15% that slaps all herbs...indoor and outdoor.
I do agree that an indoor grow maintained correctly and with high quality strains cannot be equaled to outdoor for sure. Stacking Caylx...what Indoor is all about.
".

:eek:......... at a couple of things!..:p
I wanna grow a 9 lb plant, and two, your at least, somewhat..... relaxation on your opinion of outdoor "gack"..:p
THANKS! :)

Here's a post by imo one of the kings of outdoor growers Tom Hill. hXXp://www.mjp.com/ic/showpost.php?p=2621339&postcount=13

OG you obviously havn't seen any outdoor grows in ideal climate cultivated by good growers.
lol, people easily drop more money on 1 seasons outdoor grow than a complete indoor setup. because its worth it. more lbs of better bud.
if you're interested in doing outdoor i definately recomend Mycorrhizal Applications- h420p://www.mycorrhizae.com/.
theyre the biggest producer/exporter of mycorrhizae in the world operating out of Grants Pass in Southern Oregon. they have very proffesional and helpful staff that know everything about their product. they're amazing. their myco is 100% pure and they have sooo many different kinds, simply let them know that your cultivating medical cannabis and they will let you know what kinds are beneficial for you.

Latest posts

Back