distilled water

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bigjimflub

I have read that you should use distilled water when germinating.how important is this or will it still germinate with good old tap water. Also during the growing stage do you need to have a particular ph or will it grow anyway.For the record im just looking to grow for myself regardless of yield.

I germinate in regular old tap water. works fine for me.
Dirt, and water. at first. no pre-fertilized soil. My dirt mix is typ. 2/3 soil 1/3 perlite/vermiculite mix. And 1 tsp. of garden lime for a PH buffer.

Good to see someone else growing for personal. Welcome to the forum.

nice one. yeah i went to amsterdam and caught the buzz. too much of a hassle looking for someone to buy from so ill just grow a little if all goes well.i have learnt so much from the site already its good craic.

Good growing conditions are used not only to maximize yield but to improve potency, taste, etc. and to complete the cycle quicker.
Using proper pH is a contributing factor to all of those attributes.
Startring with water that is too acid or alkaline can block the uptake of nutrients, slowing growth and eventually potency and taste.

You can buy a simple pH test kit at most garden stores for about $10.00. It's not super-accurate but it's hella better than nothing. Growhops/hydro stores carry better digital pH testers starting at about $30.00.
And pH up and pH down are cheap.
Spend a max. of $40.00 to have improved yield taste & potency and get it quicker--worth it?
It is to me.

P.S. Tip: put water into a bucket and leave it (preferably outside) for several days before use. That lets the chlorine evaporate.
Distilled water is ok for seedlings, but it's not good for most plants, animals or people. Distilled water is water without all the minerals removed, and most living things need minerals.
Many markets in my area have water machines outside (some inside) that vend water for about 25 cents/gal.
They usually offer 2 kinds--distilled (mainly for irons and mixing up baby formula) and another kind that's called either spring or drinking water. If you want better water this is a good place to get it from.

When I lived in SoCal I hosted a campground up in the mountains that was near a spring. Since I went there every weekend I bought 10 five-gallon water bottles and would fill them up every week for my hydro garden. I was the only guy in the city I knew of that used what my chemist friend called "living water".
It was the best tasting weed if I do say so myself.

Mutt said:
I germinate in regular old tap water. works fine for me.
Dirt, and water. at first. no pre-fertilized soil. My dirt mix is typ. 2/3 soil 1/3 perlite/vermiculite mix. And 1 tsp. of garden lime for a PH buffer.

Good to see someone else growing for personal. Welcome to the forum.

Hey Mutt I grow just for personal. Well you already knew
that Yeah welcome to the forum Big Jim. And Like everyone
eles said you can use good old tap water and Sometimes not
having the right PH levels can Cause BIG Problems.........I lost
3 of my sprouts do to PH problems!!!!! So it would be smart to
check you PH Levels Regularly!! Peace out and HAPPY GROWIN

I don't like the distilled because it has no minerals. I like tap water (aged to remove chlorine), and I use PH down to get my mix where I need it.

Latest posts

Back