DIY Ballast kits???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainechowder

Reaction score
Good morning everyone!

Have any of you out there tried a DIY ballast kits. I saw them for sale on HTG Supply's website and they are priced very reasonably. I really enjoy doing as much as I can myself, both for the satisfaction as well as the $$ savings.

Let me know if any of you have any insight.

Thanks!

:ciao: Me.

When I had a ballast go out, I would just order a ballast kit and put the components in the old box. Piece of cake.

I notice the "kits" don't save you much, cuz you still have to a reflector and stuff. where a complete plug and play light is not much more.
THG's way is very cost effective. Can get ballast replacement that are just as easy to wire up without paying the " DIY kit" price. ;)

Mutt said:
I notice the "kits" don't save you much, cuz you still have to a reflector and stuff. where a complete plug and play light is not much more.
THG's way is very cost effective. Can get ballast replacement that are just as easy to wire up without paying the " DIY kit" price. ;)

I keep an eye out for discontinued and clearance items at Lowe's and Home Depot. Often, you can buy an entire fixture and gut it for parts. Of course, this doesn't work well if it's an emergency and you need a specific part. Last summer, I bought two 100 watt CFL pole lights for $15 each. The light bulbs alone were worth more than the $15.

General Electric: If you have a GE lighting product, call the customer service line and they will give you a coupon for the defective item. In most cases, they will not require that you return the item or produce a receipt, but they do ask for the serial number of the item.

Im still using the 2 400 ballast kits I built into some real nice galvenized metal boxs.

I got everything but the hoods from work so It was a great "deal"

they are easy to wire and can save some bucks. just be sure you keep them in a covered container just like any ballast box. point being to hide all connections and not risk you or water ever touching them when the ballast is energized. safety first...

remember that in a HID lights they use a capacitor. it will hold some serious voltage even when turned off and unplugged. first thing you always do when opening an unplugged ballast is short the 2 contacts on the capacitor with a screwdriver or something like that. you'd be surprised at the spark that will happen. so if you leave the components uncovered/exposed you can run a risk even when the bugger is uplugged.

a capacitor discharging on your hand can really ruin your buzz.

first thing you always do when opening an unplugged ballast is short the 2 contacts on the capacitor with a screwdriver or something like that. you'd be surprised at the spark that will happen.

I've had them blow the tip of the screw driver off. Not fun. Let them sit long enough they will discharge themselves. I always leave em off 6 hours before I open one up.

never ever put a cap in backwards they can explode.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

A lot of good info on here. I didn't know about the capacitors holding a charge even when unplugged. That's helpful information.

I think I will go ahead and pick one up and install the ballast in some sort of box. I'll knock a hood/reflector out out some white tin and rivet it together.

Once again, you guys have been great and very helpful.

Latest posts

Back