DIY bennies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zem

Reaction score
I recently got to the conclusion that i want to remove peroxide or any oxidants from my hydro. I learned about bennies and how they work. My problem is that i do not have a source to buy them online to where i am so i will have to hack this one. I still have not scratched the surface so i am asking here first, where do you think is a good source of beneficial bacteria to my res? I was thinking maybe a compost tea low in npk high in bacteria. Any suggestions on how to proceed with this? Thanks!

I recently got to the conclusion that i want to remove peroxide or any oxidants from my hydro. I learned about bennies and how they work. My problem is that i do not have a source to buy them online to where i am so i will have to hack this one. I still have not scratched the surface so i am asking here first, where do you think is a good source of beneficial bacteria to my res? I was thinking maybe a compost tea low in npk high in bacteria. Any suggestions on how to proceed with this? Thanks!
This might be doable for you. I think it is similar to how EM-1 is made.

https://www.planetnatural.com/composting-101/indoor-composting/bokashi-composting/

Sorry zem. I gotta admit, I didn’t read the article. I thought bokashi was a microorganism brew. I have used EM-1 for microbes and I like it. I buy the stuff from Teraganix but that doesn’t sound like an option for your locale. This video I think shows how to make it though. Looks pretty easy and inexpensive to give it a try. I would look for a recipe though. One comment on the video says the ratio is off.

EM-1 works really well for me. I have had Christmas Cactii flower about 2 weeks after treating them with EM-1(EM stands for effective microorganisms) and I can get them to flower 4 times a year.

I hope this helps.

this is some good info OF. Thanks. I can basically use milk rice to make lactic acid and can use yeast and soil for other types of bacteria too.

So i finally did it after i ran out of h2o2 my plants were stunted because it was so hot and they were recently transplanted into hydroton that was not so thoroughly cleaned. I gave them a shock of chlorine waited 4 days then innoculated with my home made lactic acid bacteria. I have to say the results were so good better than i had expected. It reversed the decline in health and everything grew fast. I am still not decided on whether or not to do the bokashi tea for a flood and drain hydro. My concern is whether or not i will invite unwanted pathogens into my res. I am for the time being satisfied with my LAB and happy to how easy it is to make. I removed oxidants from my feeding solution. I also used it for PM control seems to be doing the job. However regular milk has worked good for treating PM.

If you know about aquariums, they put some porous rocks in them mainly for the good bacteria to have something to cling onto. Does anyone know if this is helpful in a hydroponic res that is being given lactic acid bacteria or other beneficials?

So i finally did it after i ran out of h2o2 my plants were stunted because it was so hot and they were recently transplanted into hydroton that was not so thoroughly cleaned. I gave them a shock of chlorine waited 4 days then innoculated with my home made lactic acid bacteria. I have to say the results were so good better than i had expected. It reversed the decline in health and everything grew fast. I am still not decided on whether or not to do the bokashi tea for a flood and drain hydro. My concern is whether or not i will invite unwanted pathogens into my res. I am for the time being satisfied with my LAB and happy to how easy it is to make. I removed oxidants from my feeding solution. I also used it for PM control seems to be doing the job. However regular milk has worked good for treating PM.
I will have to look into making the LAB. I am running low on EM-1. Does the LAB have a sour milk odor?

I will have to look into making the LAB. I am running low on EM-1. Does the LAB have a sour milk odor?
OF LAB is yellow and has sort of a strong milk odor and is potent stuff as i am finding out. I was surprised as to how effective it is. Mind you that the conditions that i was in when i appplied it were extreme. Water temps were at 28C and it is the only thing in my res that is fighting with the bad bacteria and seems to be winning. No more oxidants.

I was hoping to get some answer about adding porous rocks like in aquariums for good bacteria. Any ideas?

Lava rocks are good for growing in hydro.

Reactions: zem
Lava rocks are good for growing in hydro.
What i mean is when they put porous rock inside of an aquarium to allow for good bacteria to grow on them, is this a good practice to do in a hydroponic res? This pic is of a dead plant that was completely wilted and i chopped it but it had a small side branch. I cleaned up as much of the rotten leaves and bleached the roots then gave LAB with my feeding. Look at the result i am in the process of being amazed to what simple home made LAB can do by itself.

Attachments

• 20230827_101312.jpg
    20230827_101312.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Why no oxidants if you don't mind asking

Why no oxidants if you don't mind asking
Oxidants are damaging the roots. Peroxide kills everything organic. I think i will get a better result with beneficials.

I never had a problem growing in DWCs unless the solution got to warm or there were light leaks.

Latest posts

Back