DIY Clone Machine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmo

Ganja Farmer
Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I've been struggling with cloning recently, so I thought it was time to change my style. The last round of successful cuts that I made took 24 days to root. My current round is on day 20 and still not showing. Now, some of this may be strain related, but I'm thinking my method of clones dipped in clonex gel, placed in rapid rooters, and then under the humidity dome may not be ideal.

I looked in to ready to use cloning machines from the hydro store and was shocked at the cost. I couldn't justify spending several hundred dollars for something I could surely build for under $50.

That lead me to this project:
1 2g bucket and lid ($5)
1 fog maker ($12)
7 2" neoprene inserts ($1.75)
Clonex gel
Clonex solution

I used a hole saw to cut 7 holes in the bucket lid. I chose to wrap the bucket and lid in black vinyl tape to keep light out of the reservoir. I also purchased a slightly smaller opaque paint mixing bucket to use as a humidity dome ($2), but I'm not going to use it this time. I think the fog maker will keep the humidity where I want it, and the tent that the bucket is in has a humidifier that keeps the environment at 60% RH.

Cuts were taken today. Let's see how this baby works!

20220415_180823.jpg
20220415_180800.jpg
Screenshot_20220417-120514_Amazon Shopping.jpg
20220417_114754.jpg
20220417_114810.jpg
20220417_114830.jpg

I’ve been using clone domes for about 15 years.

Tips: open it twice a day and wipe off the condensation with a towel, lift up the plug tray and blow air around the bottom of the plugs. Spray the bottom of the tray under the plugs and tops of plants with 450ppm nute solution. Make sure there is always just a tiny bit of water in the bottom. Don’t crack the vents for 5 days, then open the vents 1/8” a day for a week. For lights all you need is 1 T8 bulb any length from 2-4’ with a 5k-6500k bulb will do. Have the light as close to the dome as possible without really touching it. Keep your temps around 72.
1FF5094C-9E35-4F13-9E5B-1EB2DFCCE40E.jpeg

Reactions: gmo
I've been struggling with cloning recently, so I thought it was time to change my style. The last round of successful cuts that I made took 24 days to root. My current round is on day 20 and still not showing. Now, some of this may be strain related, but I'm thinking my method of clones dipped in clonex gel, placed in rapid rooters, and then under the humidity dome may not be ideal.

I looked in to ready to use cloning machines from the hydro store and was shocked at the cost. I couldn't justify spending several hundred dollars for something I could surely build for under $50.

1 2g bucket and lid ($5)
1 fog maker ($12)
Clonex gel
Clonex solution

I used a hole saw to cut 7 holes in the bucket lid. I chose to wrap the bucket and lid in black vinyl tape to keep light out of the reservoir. I also purchased a slightly smaller opaque paint mixing bucket to use as a humidity dome ($2), but I'm not going to use it this time. I think the fog maker will keep the humidity where I want it, and the tent that the bucket is in has a humidifier that keeps the environment at 60% RH.

View attachment 294124View attachment 294123View attachment 294125View attachment 294122View attachment 294120View attachment 294119
Thanks again for another great idea, and this very thing is on my mind. Bought some Clonex last time I was at grow store.

Bubba

GMO I built the same type and used a low volume pump to attach a sprayer bar to and mounted in bottom of bucket. it gently sprays mist at the stems under the foams.
I got foams cheap on ebay around the price you paid.
Loads of Guides on youtube

I bought Clonex gel....didnt notice a liquid,,,is that for hydro specific?

Bubba

@TheBlackHydra that's very, very similar to what I use to grow full size plants.

This one is a bit different. I think it would be classified as a fogponic cloner.

@Bubba the clonex solution is mixed with the water that is being fogged. The directions say to soak your medium (Rockwood, etc.) And to water with it. I saw it, and thought I could give it a try. It's new to me. I use the clonex rooting hormone gel as well.

down in the south I have heat issues...my aerocloner will cook the roots when the air in the room is 78 degrees...I've gone back to an odd shaped peat pellet type of rooting plug...been happy using the for 3 years now...

1 2g bucket and lid ($5)
1 fog maker ($12)
Clonex gel
Clonex solution

View attachment 294124View attachment 294123View attachment 294125View attachment 294122View attachment 294120View attachment 294119
Looking forward to watching your experiment. Funny, last time I cloned with root riot and raw aloe from my plant. Every one cloned perfect with tons of roots. Maybe because I wasn’t impatiently waiting for them this time. Last time I went with peat plugs. I loved the way the root riot hugged even the smallest clones. I plan to use them again next time

Reactions: gmo

Latest posts

Back