DIY window ac setup for indoor grow!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyBlazeBK

Reaction score
Yet another one for you guys to help out. I have a flower room with 3 hps lights. 1 is 600w, 1000w, n the new sunlight double ended 1000w. I have a tent on the side in the room with a mars hydro 400w to veg. Also the closest in the room is also a veg room with t5 8 bulb fixture. It gets hot in there obviously. The room was fine until I got the double ended. Since then it's gotten real hot. Upwards of 90+ degrees. Mind u I bought a 12000 btu portable ac. Piece of junk. Room stays at 88-91 with that portable ac. I was hoping has anyone here have experience with a diy window unit being inside the room with a housing in back of the ac to exhaust the Hott air into the attic through a hole in the ceiling. Will this work? Thanks for your time n help.

It can work as long as the AC is not upside down or on its side.
It would take duck work from the back of the unit.

Running the compressor in any but the normal operating position will ruin your AC

It can work as long as the AC is not upside down or on its side.
It would take duck work from the back of the unit.

Running the compressor in any but the normal operating position will ruin your AC

U da man thanks for that. U got me motivated now for sure.

I was actually looking into the portable ac units for my place. In general they seem to operate poorly unless they have multiple exhaust ducts. It has to do with the whole unit being in the room radiating heat, and trying to evap water. Normally this would all be outside, and not be a factor, but many of these units seem to fight themselves.

you might have similar issues with a window unit if the back end is inside. will need insulation, and ducting on the back for hot air/condensation.

I was actually looking into the portable ac units for my place. In general they seem to operate poorly unless they have multiple exhaust ducts. It has to do with the whole unit being in the room radiating heat, and trying to evap water. Normally this would all be outside, and not be a factor, but many of these units seem to fight themselves.

you might have similar issues with a window unit if the back end is inside. will need insulation, and ducting on the back for hot air/condensation.

Absolutely. I agree with the duct work and insulation on the back. I'm hoping with proper insulation I think this could work. The portable was a terrible option. It was just not cooling. The fact that I have all this lights in there it was just not powerful enough. The window unit even though will be inside I feel it much much more efficient and will do triple the job the portable one did. Thanks for your help. Any more tips will be greatful.

You might could make a wooden box to mount the unit in. Sort of like how it mounts in a window. Have the rear sealed and included with a fan exhausting air from the condenser. That may work. Not real sure. Could be I'm just baked right now.

You might could make a wooden box to mount the unit in. Sort of like how it mounts in a window. Have the rear sealed and included with a fan exhausting air from the condenser. That may work. Not real sure. Could be I'm just baked right now.

that's what i was thinking, creating an uncooled area for the back of the unit which is exhausted, just don't forget about drainage.

Na man thanks for the input. Yes you are also right. Gonna get a cfm fan to exhaust the hot air from the back to the ceiling. Yea our greatest thoughts and ideas are when we are baked. It's just putting the thoughts and ideas in motion. Thanks again

Just for the record this was the best thing I ever did to my grow room. The girls love the cool air and give out beautiful colors at harvest plus no bugs!

Latest posts

Back