Do I need CO2?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Landing

There's one thing that's always been in the back of my head now that I am doing ScrOG - CO2.

I don't know if I need it or not. Some people say it really helps, others say you shouldn't bother.

What do you guys think?

Fresh air is all you need, CO2 has its uses but unless you are doing a Norcal hal type of deal fresh air is all you need.

I run co2 and I like it.

I want to run CO2, but I'm not sure if I could effectively do it yet.

"Need" to? No...You can get wonderful results without!!
"Does is help when dialed in to near perfection"?...exceedingly well.

All plants need CO2 for proper photosynthesis, but they can get what they need through proper air exchange. CO2 enhancement can be quite expensive and unless your space is dialed in and set up for it, it is really not going to do much good.

My recommendation is to learn to grow first and then down the road, if you decide that the benefit warrants the cost, think about adding it.

Plants only use CO2 during a light period.

20-30,000 years ago the atmosphere had 1,500 ppm CO2 in it, plants were able to use this easily to aid growth, all plants today still have that ability, but normal atmosphere today has only 350 ppm, the theory is if you increase the PPM to 1.200 in the grow room the plants will grow 20% faster and bigger.

Dry ice is cheap, getting it to evaporate at the correct speed is difficult.

You have just been given a pointer.

:peace:

All plants need CO2 for proper photosynthesis, but they can get what they need through proper air exchange. CO2 enhancement can be quite expensive and unless your space is dialed in and set up for it, it is really not going to do much good.

My recommendation is to learn to grow first and then down the road, if you decide that the benefit warrants the cost, think about adding it.

What exactly do you mean by 'dialed in'? I think we've addressed all the possible problems in my room(s) in my air filtering thread.

And why is it expensive? An entire kit costs about $100 around here. That's the equivalent of 4g of product.

Meaning, if this CO2 can get me an increase of 20% of my 2-4lb. tri-annual harvest, it will be worth upwards of 100x what it costs.

No, you cannot do it properly for $100--you are going to be looking at closer to $600-800 by the time you buy the monitors and controllers. To be effective, CO2 MUST be monitored and controlled--you cannot really just release CO2 at some unknown rate. This takes special equipment that is not cheap. I can get a CO2 tank for cheap, but that is just the beginning. I can tell you than anything you buy for $100 is not going to be worth the money.

Your space will have to be absolutely air tight and you will have to coordinate CO2 release and ventilation. You need enhanced lumens and a little higher temps. Your plants may require more food.

And whether or not you get an extra 20% is debatable--some people get that much more and some don't. That would be like the high end and like breeder's yield estimates, it can be more optimistic than it may end up being in real life. And this is with a real CO2 setup--CO2 tanks or generators, monitors, controllers, more light, more food, etc, etc. Something you buy for $100 is not going to do anything.

Just the co2 controller and monitor cost more then that. Add in the tank/generator and regulator plus a sealed room and it is more then you mentioned.
Need to recheck your costs

No, you cannot do it properly for $100--you are going to be looking at closer to $600-800 by the time you buy the monitors and controllers. To be effective, CO2 MUST be monitored and controlled--you cannot really just release CO2 at some unknown rate. This takes special equipment that is not cheap. I can get a CO2 tank for cheap, but that is just the beginning. I can tell you than anything you buy for $100 is not going to be worth the money.

Your space will have to be absolutely air tight and you will have to coordinate CO2 release and ventilation. You need enhanced lumens and a little higher temps. Your plants may require more food.

And whether or not you get an extra 20% is debatable--some people get that much more and some don't. That would be like the high end and like breeder's yield estimates, it can be more optimistic than it may end up being in real life. And this is with a real CO2 setup--CO2 tanks or generators, monitors, controllers, more light, more food, etc, etc. Something you buy for $100 is not going to do anything.

Well, as far as I know you just need a meter that can check whether the CO2 is at its optimum 1200-1500 PPM or not, which shouldn't be too expensive.

Either way, $800 for a 20% increase is nothing.

Though, I will grow without CO2 until I figure out what my yields actually are now that my room is complete. Otherwise, I wouldn't have any point of reference.

Though, the temps shouldn't be a problem. I'ts 20C here :)

Landing--you cannot even get your room airtight to control the smells--forget the CO2! Jeez why do you have to argue with EVERYTHING anyone tells you??!!??

He can't control the odor. He has a 40% clone rate. He knows what nutes are best. He wants to play Johnny Appleseed with his extra cuts... He must be a pro:)

Latest posts

Back