Do peat pucks need anything else?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradxo

Reaction score
I have four autos I'm waiting in water to germinate, but I don't have any soil just yet. I do have the jiffy pucks that you hydrate to make about an inch and a half in diameter, and the tray etc.
My question is, if I take a germinated seed and put it in the peat at the right depth, is it expecting more in the way of nutrients right away? Just wondering how long they may be able to be in that medium before all the other stuff arrives...

Welcome to the Passion !!!!!! -- You should be fine, use decent water, and you have awhile before you need to worry about nutrients.
Hopefully your equipment and what not is not too far away..

I just popped 6 autos and 2 fem reg .I put allof them in a peat pod damp in a trau covered with water on the bottom ( a little) a cover over a seed matt set at 78.
All eight popped. I stole a hint from Carty on our group and let the tap root get bigger than normal .
Now i need to keep my kaka together for the rest of the grow.
Welcome to our group .
Lots of nice folks here .
Bingo every third thursday
bring money ,no checks ! :rolleyes:

I have never tried to germinate seeds in just water. I always use soil or paper towel. As Joe said, you won’t need nutes for a while even if you are using a medium without nutrients amended in. Seedlings get what they need nutritionally from the cotelydons.

Famous electrician turned grower. something to read.

Attachments

• We-Grow-Cannabis-V1.0.pdf
    18.9 MB · Views: 0
I have never tried to germinate seeds in just water. I always use soil or paper towel. As Joe said, you won’t need nutes for a while even if you are using a medium without nutrients amended in. Seedlings get what they need nutritionally from the cotelydons.
For me (as hydro wicking) post germination I use half seedling nutrient strength if I want to give them something a little early (about 8% normal veg strength). The Rapid Rooter plugs that I use have plenty starter nutrients, but peat pucks may not? Since my medium of sphagnum moss has no nutrients, I have to prepare it with something like the light seedling solution (including a touch of calmag) for the seedlings to immediately thrive. I'm sure this is unnecessary for soil.

For me (as hydro wicking) post germination I use half seedling nutrient strength if I want to give them something a little early (about 8% normal veg strength). The Rapid Rooter plugs that I use have plenty starter nutrients, but peat pucks may not? Since my medium of sphagnum moss has no nutrients, I have to prepare it with something like the light seedling solution (including a touch of calmag) for the seedlings to immediately thrive. I'm sure this is unnecessary for soil.
I didn’t consider that actually. Plants in soil do have access to the nutrients in the soil so maybe the cotelydons are kind of like a mother supplementing her breast milk with baby formula(kinda). Solid advice.

Latest posts

Back