Does Marijuana Repress Dreams

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMorgan1973

NaturalWiccan
Reaction score
Does marijuana repress dreams?
:confused:
I ask this because up until about a month ago I was a very regular smoker for about 8 years daily multiple times a day and during that time I really didnt dream or at least didnt remember them.
Recently, over the past couple of weeks of not having any smoke or being able to get any I have been having all sorts of dreams... that I remember vividly.
Opinions welcome and desired
:holysheep:

I don't believe mj represses dreams, but it may inhibit the ability to remember them in some people. I know it is very common for dreams to extremely vivid and realistic when going without MJ for a period of time after being a heavy smoker. It happens to me every year when I stop for a few weeks. The intensity should subside after 2-3 weeks in most people.

The dreams that you experience during marijuana withdrawal can be very intense and vivid, and many people (myself included) have had crazy end-of-the-world nightmares. When you smoke a lot of pot, you tend not to dream as much, or at least not remember them, so getting used to dreaming and interpreting dreams takes some time. I have found that my dreams stabilize after about a month, and the bad dreams subside within the first couple weeks.
marijuana-addict . c o m .

I dont think it represses dreams but i think a body use to having it and is now going without it causes more vivid dreams, i have heard many say they have alot of bad dreams when not smoking weed.

but i wouldnt know i think I have smoked close to daily for about 19 years since i was 18.

boy i can speak on the vivid dreams during withdrawl. i've been a heavy smoker for about 40 years and stopped 'cold turkey' for 60 days just to prove i could. the first 30 days or so were full to the brim with cool dreams; so much so that i slept a lot more 'cause they were so fun. then they tapered off to normal and got back to mildy amusing.

much worse was the almost total lack of taste and flavor for the whole 60 days. food became boring and bland, tasteless within a couple of days after stopping. fresh fruit was about as tasty as saltine crackers. all tastes and flavors returned in minutes after smoking again. went through a few of the addictions forums and did not find anyone who said they had the same problem; but it was SO dramatic to me that i can't imagine i am the only one it happens to. all things considered it was the worse part of the withdrawl experience for me.

to me its not that you do not dream with smoking heavy - its more a case of noticing the dreams more when going through withdrawl. your brain is going crazy to find euphoria (and stress relief) and generates it the only safe way it can.

There is an article written about this in one of the Cannabibles that I have and it says that it does supress dreams. That by no means makes it a fact but I thought Id just share it.

I've personally noticed that since I have started smoking marijuana 4 years ago, my dreams do seem to be repressed. I do not remember them, if I even have them. Before I started, I remembered my dreams vividly as well. Perhaps it's a "side effect" not everybody experiences.

-nasty

maybe? but in my case ive smoked for 20 yrs and been to frikin high to dream or remember them. when i dont smoke the first day or few i get crazy dreams or i cant sleep, thinking to much, (i sleep like a rock!) lol IMO

I've experienced similar vivid dreams when I don't smoke. I didn't know if it was the type of sleep I was getting or not. This makes me wanna look it up though.

Wow!!!
I love all of the responses!
I had smoked every day mostly multiple times a day since 1998. This is the first time that I havent had any for more than a day or two the entire time.
It does reassure me that it is the cause for these strange dreams, whether I had them and didnt remember them or not at least I know why its happening.
As far as the kind of sleep I may or may not be getting, I have no idea what kind of sleep I get or dont get. :huh:
I do know that falling asleep takes forever. I lay there and stare at the ceiling or listen to the ceiling fan go around... annoying as heck! :hairpull:
I didnt really remember dreaming before my extended friendship with MJ :) so I never thought that my lack of dreaming was related to smoking all the time. :icon_smile:
As for the taste of food, if I was hungry at all I would be able to tell more :)
I think I've lost 10 pounds not getting the munchies
Thank you everyone
You have all made me feel much better :aok:

Anybody else got high in a dream?

I take awhile to get to sleep also so I put on some music or an audiobook to go to sleep to. sad bc I'm a grown *** man ha ha

I recently started smokin' again after being clean for 20 years. I have chronic Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from war time military experiences. Part of PTSD is not being able to sleep, vivid nightmares, and a lack of self control (anger). Since I started smokin' again my PTSD symptoms have dimished. I fall asleep easily and I never wake up with nightmares when I'm stoned. I have heard of many veterans tokin to subside their PTSD symptoms especially the nightmares.

well im glad something can help fat sachel! i wouldnt wish bad dream like yours on anyone. nuff respect for doing what you did for us. here smoke more & try some hash

I haven't noticed much correlation between dreams and marijuana.

In my experience I remember my dreams most often in two different scenarios.

First is when I'm really stressed, like when I was so disorganized that I only had a few hours a sleep a night. I found myself having vivid nightmares that steered me the right way. Some may have predicted some good and bad scenarios I later experienced :huh::stoned:

The other is when I've been fairly healthy for a steady while. The dreams are less nightmarish, often centering around fully recovering from past stresses. Less often, they'll encourage good paths to follow, or remind me of specific things I need to figure out or understand. :eek:

To better remember my dreams, I think about wanting to remember my dreams before sleep, and especially right after I wake up, so that I can keep it in my mind to really absorb it's lessons.

What were yours about?

I really think so. I have been a multiple time a day(everyday) smoker for the past 10 years. I never remember dreaming, hey maybe its just the remembering that I was dreaming part, as my memory certainly suffers! I was locked up once for 30 days about 3 years ago, after a week of not smoking I started dreaming vividly every night for the remainder of my sentence. After getting out and back to smoking I quit dreaming again right away! I have always said my smoking represses my dreams!!!
Thank for letting me share,

B.P.

Fat Sachel said:
I recently started smokin' again after being clean for 20 years. I have chronic Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from war time military experiences. Part of PTSD is not being able to sleep, vivid nightmares, and a lack of self control (anger). Since I started smokin' again my PTSD symptoms have dimished. I fall asleep easily and I never wake up with nightmares when I'm stoned. I have heard of many veterans tokin to subside their PTSD symptoms especially the nightmares.
Thank you for sharing a part of your story with us.
I know that my anxiety and my dreams where never a problem when I smoke.
I had PTSD from some things that happened in my childhood and I had no problems sleeping when I smoked then when I couldnt get any my dreams started coming back and my anxiety went through the roof. My mind would race like crazy the moment I laid my head on the pillow and closing my eyes was not a good thing.
My dad is a vietnam vet with VERY bad PTSD related nightmares. I know that he would sleep better if he puffed.
I really dont even consider MJ to be a "drug" the medicinal uses faroutweigh any negatives that come from it... in my opinion and the opinion of many who I have spoken to on the subject (including my father) agree that alcohol is more dangerous than any amout of pot and alcohol is legal.
Regulate it and tax it like everything else and so many problems would be eliminated.

Latest posts

Back