Does Veg Age Affect Potency?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBFan

Days of Wine and....Roses
Reaction score
I'm curius about the relationship of vegetative age relative to potency. I've read posts claiming that a plant needs to be vegged for at least 3 months or until sexual maturity is reached, otherwise you are sacrificing potency.

Does anyone know if there is any research to back this up?

If you grow from seed and go straight to 12/12 to induce flowering, are you ending up with a less potent end product? Of course you'll end up with less product in terms of quantity, but will that product be any less potent in terms of THC content than if you had vegged for 3 months?

Isn't the "flower" period the same (once flowers have shown)?

Many factors influence the production of THC. In general, the older a plant, the greater its potential to produce THC. This is true, however, only if the plant remains healthy and vigorous, THC production requires the proper quantity and quality of light. It seems that none of the biosynthetic processes operate efficiently when low light conditions prevent proper photosynthesis.
chapter four of Clarkes "MJ BOTANY"
hXXp://www.mellowgold.com/grow/mjbotany-removed/

"I" believe 'early' force flowering is detrimental to potency. IMO, it only stands to reason. Even though a plant won't flower before it becomes 'sexually mature'. You are still depriving the plant of essential "long" days, 'rushing' it into the premordial stage.

not excactly sure about potency howver your gonna have one big momma if you veg for three months.too big for indoor surely bro!:hubba:

Hi BB...

I've grown many strains over time and it always seems like they just get better over time. I guess if we think about nature and the 'average' growing season it makes sense that plants take several months to get to maturity. They start in the spring and grow for several months before the grand design has them flower... It sure seems like a perfect design to me... How do it know? :rolleyes:

Peace!:cool:

Many factors influence the production of THC. In general, the older a plant, the greater its potential to produce THC. This is true, however, only if the plant remains healthy and vigorous, THC production requires the proper quantity and quality of light. It seems that none of the biosynthetic processes operate efficiently when low light conditions prevent proper photosynthesis.

To me, that leaves a bit to interpretation. I've read many posts and threads about micro-grows and going 12/12 at sprouting. I've never seen anyone comment on reduced potency though.

dirtyolsouth said:
Hi BB...

I've grown many strains over time and it always seems like they just get better over time. I guess if we think about nature and the 'average' growing season it makes sense that plants take several months to get to maturity. They start in the spring and grow for several months before the grand design has them flower... It sure seems like a perfect design to me... How do it know? :rolleyes:

Peace!:cool:

Hey DOS-

Are you saying you've noticed a difference in the same strains potency when given a longer veg time? I usually veg for about 6-8 weeks and always see preflowers by then and then switch to 12/12. Are you saying if I let it veg for another 6-8 weeks I'll end up with more potent product?

I can't say I can tell any difference (in terms of potency) between the same strain that I've grown indoors vs. outdoors.

BBFan said:
To me, that leaves a bit to interpretation. I've read many posts and threads about micro-grows and going 12/12 at sprouting. I've never seen anyone comment on reduced potency though.
Would you really "expect" them to?.. :hubba:
We're headed for another "scientific blind test" thread.. :p hee hee..
you asked, I gave you not only a quote from a respected authority, but my 'opinion' and experience. :confused2:...

Are you saying you've noticed a difference in the same strains potency when given a longer veg time? I usually veg for about 6-8 weeks and always see preflowers by then and then switch to 12/12. Are you saying if I let it veg for another 6-8 weeks I'll end up with more potent product?
"IMO".. once 'sexual maturity' is reached, you 'should' be able to achieve 'maximum' potency. But.. there sre sooo many influencing factors. In order to come to any kind of real conclusion.

Latest posts

Back