Does water temp matter that much?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonnieB

Reaction score
Ive been thinking about doing a hydro rig. Bubbleponics or something like that. But I read the water needs to be pretty cool. Like 60s-75 degrees. If I did that, my electric bill would be through the roof. Im assuming cool water helps with root health and bacteria problems

Yep,,ive grown in DWCs many times. Need to keep the solution around 70 degrees. If it gets to warm your roots will start to yellow and slim can also get on your roots. I had to keep frozen water bottles in mine. Was a pain in the ass because i didn't have a chiller.

There are things like hydroguard (spell) that will help but yes I also recommend a chiller if you go that route. Freezing old milk bottles gets old real fast

Yeah thats what I was afraid of. Guess it'll be a bit before I do this. My buddy made his own chiller with 50 feet or 25 of garden hose coiled up in a dorm room refrigerator. He coiled it up inside the fridge so the water would spend most of its time in the unit and when it came out the other end it was 67-70 degrees lol

The temperature isn't as much of an issue as the fact that when water gets higher in temperature, it holds much less oxygen. I've seen a few growers compensate for higher temps with more oxygen, but that can be a catch 22 if you use pumps and are in the grow space, they can create heat and the battle rages.

I would suggest trying it in winter before you go through the expense of a chiller.

as the temp rises it only can hold so much DO "dissolved oxygen" no matter how much air or bubbles you add.

Ill definitely need a chiller. The summers here are brutal. I have air conditioner in my grow room but that really racks up my electric bill if I want to cool water down that much. Its not so bad keeping the grow room 78-80 degrees. I guess if I wanna grow hydro that its gonna have to wait or as suggested do a winter grow. Thanks for all the input guys and gals.

Texas heat is why i switched to soil instead of using DWCs. More forgiving. Cant correct problems as fast with soil as you can Hydroponics,, but that's okay.

Latest posts

Back