don't know how I'm doing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country_Boy

Reaction score
first time growing. plants are behind about a month, just saved them from dying and now starting to grow, my friends are getting real tall and full, his are a month ahead of mine since mine started to die before. tell me how they look please and any comments are apprectiated.

I don't see any pics, but I know what you're going through. I had some plants that I tried revegetating for the first time. Most of them didn't make it, but the one that did grew bigger and better. Then the hurricane took her and I was sad. No power for weeks means no lights. If you can post some pics, I'd love to see them!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/783950/2

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

It looks like you have a magnesium deficiency. The leaves are starting to point and curl up. Older leaves are turning yellow and crispy. I would check your PH.

Lookin pretty good for coming back to life though.
pi_thumbsup.gif

a magnesium deficiency..what do i do to fix that problem? and how would i go about to check my PH level?

thanks for the help

You can get PH tests (get the probe kind) at Wal-mart or similar in the aquarium section.

Magnesium gets locked out with PH any lower than 6.4 +/- (soil) 6.0 +/- hydro. These are very close approx. there is a chart somewhere on this site.

Soil
If it is low you can water with a mix of spring water and hydrated Lime to up it.
Your PH can get wacked if your using tap water. Chlorine and calcium can lock out Magnesium. I would water with bottled spring water (which is at 7.0PH neutral). about a dollar a gallon.

Just my opinion. I would wait for a couple of others post just to see what they say.

im using tap water, but i put it into a 2L bottle and then let it sit for like 4 days or so before using that water to water the plants.. so by that time all the chlorine is gone from it by then, or so iv been told it should be all gone after sitting out for that amount of time.. do you know if this is right or wrong?
how much are PH testers do you know?
thanks alot i apreciate the help

Letting it sit works. but you still have calcium in my opinion. I just go ahead and buy the water, lot less headache. IMHO

you can a cheap probe for I think 10 bucks, that will work ok. Of course more accurate the better. Budget will dictate.

Hope I helped you out.
peace.gif

how do you get your PH level to go down? mine is either at 7 or is over 7 ph..

You Should be able to go to a garden store( Callaways, Homedepot, Your local hydro store) and buy a kit with tester and PH up and down. Should be kind of cheap. There is household stuff you can use to adjust the ph but I am not fimalmilar with all of them, white vinegar should lower and bakingsoda will raise it. Don't use either of them until you check and make sure thats right. But i know it is basic stuff like that. I got a PH test kit for like $15 so just look around. Hope that helps.

well i got a PH tester today from a local garen center around the corner from my house, i just want to know how to make it go down a bit.. cuz it is 7 just under the top of the soil, but if u put the probe down far it goes up.. is this bad? or good?

Country_Boy said:
well i got a PH tester today from a local garen center around the corner from my house, i just want to know how to make it go down a bit.. cuz it is 7 just under the top of the soil, but if u put the probe down far it goes up.. is this bad? or good?

im pretty sure that that means you have a salt build up or some kind of nutrient build up. just flush the plant with the correct ph water

the water im using.. after sitting for 4 days has a ph of 6.5? thats not okay?

I agree with BC. Salts are the by product of plants. This will screw up your PH. You need to flush your plants to remove that salt build-up. O'wise those plants are sitting in there own crap so to speak.

Get the bath tub ready for a mess, and flush that plant.

for every gallon of soil you need to flush it with 3X the amount of water. so a 3 gallon pot would take 9 gallons of water to flush. The water needs to come out of the bottom clear not that nasty brown color.

so i put the plant in my bath tub still in the pot its in and just put water through the dirt? or what do u mean?

You can fix a mg. deficiancy by spraying the plants with epsom salts mixed in water. I'm sorry I don't recall the correct ratio (high).
To let chlorine evaporate you need to let the water sit for several days in a container like a bucket. Interaction with O2 breaks down the chlorine.
-Vinegar & baking soda can adjust pH but should only be used in a pinch. They are both very short-lived and unstable. You need to check and adjust daily.
With a solution MADE for pH up and/or down, the effects are more long-lived, they can remain stable for up to 2 weeks at least. I would adjust the res. of my ebb n flo every 2 weeks right after I changed the water, it remained at that level.
-Check pH AFTER you add nutrients to the water because they will throw it off.

Country_Boy said:
so i put the plant in my bath tub still in the pot its in and just put water through the dirt? or what do u mean?

you pour the water through slowely and let it drain out the bottom. You keep doing this until the water coming out of the bottom of the pot is not brown anymore.

Latest posts

Back