dont mention LED's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

epicstuff

Reaction score
Why is it that theres big arguments over CFL's and HID's but not a mention of LED lighting.

I'd love to know is there anyone really trying them out; is there any proper comparisons done.

I've been reading alot of manufactures claims etc and the theory sounds good . They seem efficient energy wise, more targeted by way of spectrum range. and makes a lot of sense for stealth growers. I would have thought if all these claims were true then there would be people shout out the virtues of them but type LED in the search engine on this forum and ZERO comes up.

Are there any pro growers out there that use them and can endorse them?

I'd love to get some feedback.. wheres Hick? he's always breaking down the figures lumen for lumen. how do these work out I know they are a little ( alot) more costly to buy but how long would the to take to make the difference back from energy saving ?

They are actually mentioned often.
The search engine on this site doesn't do well with three letter terms.

Try this:
PASTE this into google search bar (or browser window)

LED site:marijuanapassion.com

I have a few Ill send ya....some use them for sprouting only...Ive only seen a few peeps have a grow useing LED...but never a finished product....they are way more $$$$ and dont put out the lumes....I would spend the money on good ventilation than I would LEDS..just my thaughts

take care and be safe

Actually, we do talk about LEDs here whenever the subject is brought up. We are not using them because they do not work well. Most of us here have checked into LEDs and found them lacking. IMO, they are simply too much money to be buying to experiment with personally. Thee are some who use them for vegging and do okay. However when it comes to flowering, it is another story. I have never seen an LED grow that I was impressed with--Salespeople with videos on You Tube don't count. Others cannot duplicate their supposed results. We know they hype the fixtures up and claim ridiculous results. The fixtures are really expensive. For over 10 years, I have been thinking that LEDs were the wave of the future, but I am beginning to wonder. I really have not seen much in the way of improvements for growing in that time span and they are still horribly expensive. Until I start seeing some grows that actually produce something, I will stick with my T5s and HPS.

I use led's for sprouting and seedlings only and with the led's a couple of inches from the seedlings they still stretch.

@4u2 you have too seen finished product...lol. over at 'C'... P Jennings is getting results that are as good or better than HID. And the price is more than reasonable. People, the future is now...it takes some research and dialing in but the results I've seen would destroy everyones negative view on LED's.

ive seen some good results on short autoflowers on a different forum. less light penetration needed. might do well for scrogs.
from what ive read most leds out there are useless but a few brands make good ones. blackstar are supposedly good cheap ones with 3w chips(i think)

Google Cidly LED's, the Apollo series, these are the ones my buddy uses and has had incredible results. I am in know way tell a newbie to go out and jump in head first with both feet... PJ is a very experienced hydro grower.

You can customize these lights and housings to your spedificatios with out added cost as well.

epicstuff said:
I've been reading alot of manufactures claims etc and the theory sounds good . They seem efficient energy wise, more targeted by way of spectrum range. and makes a lot of sense for stealth growers. I would have thought if all these claims were true then there would be people shout out the virtues of them but type LED in the search engine on this forum and ZERO comes up.

Are there any pro growers out there that use them and can endorse them?

I'd love to get some feedback.. wheres Hick? he's always breaking down the figures lumen for lumen. how do these work out I know they are a little ( alot) more costly to buy but how long would the to take to make the difference back from energy saving ?

if the manufacturers claims were true, I think a LOT of ppl would be screaming their virtues. But...you just don't see it... If all the youtube clams were true, you'd see it.... but you don't..:confused2:
We've had a limited number of 'posers' come along with similar claims, but "not once" have a single one documented an entire grow for our viewing pleasure. They usually drop in, make a lotta' outrageous claims, leave a mess o' spam, then hightail it as soon as their bluff is called..;)
I'm on the same boat as thg I think. I've been saying/thinking that led's are going to be the next big break through in grow lighting, I just ain't seen it yet.

I can't disagree with most of what Hick said... there are very few successful,well documented grows posted on the web. Plus most of the manufacturers out there are making completely false claims about their results. They can't be trusted at all. I can only speak about what I've seen, and that was a finished, well documented grow using only LED's for flower. Keep in mind this is only one person I've seen pull it off, but wow did he pull it off.

Oh dear ,, there goes another brain wave.. so Is 'Aluminium Monster' working for the LED companies or is he straight up?

So.... if a LED company turned around and offered to back their claim with a free trial to a reputable grower would they take it up or is the mistrust still there with the equipment?

would you HG or Hick use your grow space on a free trial?

Is the problem lack of frequency range or lack of penitration.
Just trying to work out what they need to sort out. If its penitration I suppose they need higher w led chips if its Frequency range they can just use more different wavelength LEDs (which they offer). I see some now offering an UV Bla bla bla maybe 7 or so different wave length or color temp led's in there boards.
Maybe thats far to simplified a question to ask. I know there are so many factor behind the science of lighting to answer that in any easy form.

I'm just interested because I was invited to become an agent for a company in china after making some enquiries about the stuff. I was curious why there was a lack of solid feedback from anyone. Seems there are so many companies out there make the stuff now specifically for horticulture, I assumed they must have made some kind of breakthrough. It would be great to get involved if they were on the verge of revalutionizing growing ...

I've thought they were "on the verge" for a few years now..:confused2: What I have deduced from what I've 'seen' here. There is a significant difference in quality between manufacturers, and 'good' ones are the expensive ones.
I doubt aluminummonster is a pawn of the led mnf... or he'd be the LEDmonster..:p

Sorry to disapoint... but no I don't work for anyone, just myself. My garden takes care of my needs lol. All I was trying to do was let ppl know that I finaly found a good start to finish LED grow. Honestly, I just got my GR to the point where im content. 2800w of hps in flower and almost 500w of T5's for veg. I wont be making the switch to LED's untill the end of next year most likely, but I will be making the switch.

If I had a spare closet, I would give a free LED a test grow, but I wouldn't want it to be the only thing I had going on. I simply have not seen any grows I was impressed with. I have been thinking that they were on the verge of a breakthrough 10 years ago--I just don't think there is going to be any big breakthrough. I think that slowly they are going to get better and larger wattage LEDs that may at some point be strong enough to flower, but I don't expect any big breakthrough. I would be very very leery of foreign LED companies trying to get you to peddle their product.

Also with something like LEDs, results that are obtainable by one should be obtainable by most....and it isn't. It is cool that Peter Jennings is getting some good results, but if that is the only one you have seen, well, it doesn't say much for LEDs as a whole. He is a very experienced grower as mentioned. I am thinking that LEDs are going to require a whole bunch of micro management, too.

The Hemp Goddess said:
It is cool that Peter Jennings is getting some good results, but if that is the only one you have seen, well, it doesn't say much for LEDs as a whole. He is a very experienced grower as mentioned.

Just think what this guy would pull with a real light.

He replaced all of his 1k hps with LED's... and is getting equal to or better than his previous results. How can you say they aren't real lights?

Also, I never said LED's as a whole... I mentioned one brand and one grower.

AluminumMonster said:
He replaced all of his 1k hps with LED's... and is getting equal to or better than his previous results. How can you say they aren't real lights?

Actually, that was my point--one brand and one grower. Unless others can duplicate the results of one person, I cannot help but believe that the lights are not ready to be a standard for growing and I cannot recommend them as a good lighting source, especially for a beginner. Since the lights need to be kept so close, there is going to be a lot of micro-management. No one is saying that no one anywhere every had a good LED grow. We are saying that they simply do not produce the results the salespeople are claiming and are still a ways away from being the best choice for growing.

I follow you completely Monster, but have you personally done it or seen it done first hand? The only 'successes' I have seen have been on YouTube and the web - and none from growers with enough experience to know whether what they got was proportionate. Some of those who claim success might feel that way - but its relative deprivation; they never grew under real light so they think that any return means 'it works great'. There are also people who claim that CFLs are "wonderful" for full-cycle growing. Cough... cough...

Not meaning you any disrespect - not meant that way. Only that I simply don't believe the high results quoted from most LED grows. And when you get enough of them daisy-chained to put off a theoretical "enough" light - the heat and noise from them is just sick; and (I think) you still get 40%-70% less return for the wattage and $$ invested.

Just not seeing the value I guess. A 1000 watt light works, costs MUCH less, and can deliver known, proven, accepted returns. That much I know. Just don't see an advantage to LEDs for grow lights - yet.

Buy one and prove me wrong buddy - and I'll get on the bandwagon... heh...

AluminumMonster said:

Ok, so back to the original questions...

Q;Are there people trying them out? A; Yes there are a few people trying out LED's. PJ being one.
Q;Are there any actual comparisons being done? A; Yes, PJ has performed multiple comparisons with multiple strains. I believe he has posted some of his results at cannazon.

As for the manufacturers claims, well, don't believe 99% of them. Get to know a good grower who has experience with the product you have questions about. I repeat: Don't jump in head first with both feet.

Q; Are there any growers who endorse LED's? A; Only one that I know of at the moment. I do however know 2 other growers that have made the plunge and will start posting results shortly.

A.M.

When the cost drops like micro chips did, to under $1 each we should see an explosion.

I've been waiting too, but right now it's too much $$$$ for too little benefit.

Wet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back