Don't waste your money on these Chinese Lights!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knowcannabisknowpeace

Cannabeizen
Reaction score
Don't waste your time on Chinese lighting. I ordered (see photos) 3 full spectrum lights from BangGood (Chinese).

Each one was a dismal fraction of it's listed wattage. Using a PAR/LUX Meter each of these came in closer to "one zero less" than advertised.

So; the 1200 Watt light was actually closer to 120 watts than 1200. Continue for each light.

These are excellent for clones or seedlings, but they are insufficient for primary lighting.

Attachments

• BG lights 1.png
    BG lights 1.png
    204.8 KB · Views: 86
  • BG Lights 2.png
    BG Lights 2.png
    276.9 KB · Views: 78
  • BG Lights 3.png
    BG Lights 3.png
    208.8 KB · Views: 78
I mean, you get what you pay for I guess? I have Chinese lights made with Chinese and Korean components, 2000w equivalent draws 235 actual watts but emits the equivalent lumens of 2000w worth of HID lighting, which is what that number means. Not the wall draw. The 10x factor "error" you are seeing is basically true draw vs observed output when compared to HID.
Granted, I paid $300 a pop for mine, they are no joke, and they take me right through harvest. Check out spiderfarmer panels.
I have some cheap sweatshop $25/23w panels that I'd estimate come in around a 150w HID equivalent for the pair, and absolutely love them for seedlings, and an equally unfair-trade $65/40w/300w equivalent that is currently keeping a pair of 5 foot tall mother plants pretty happy.
Use your tools wisely, and be ready to spend real money on quality equipment.
As an aside, if you're using lights like that, don't waste your time on co2. Your next big investment should be lighting, as it is currently your limiting factor, not atmospheric gas levels

Last edited:
I mean, you get what you pay for I guess? I have Chinese lights made with Chinese and Korean components, 2000w equivalent draws 235 actual watts but emits the equivalent lumens of 2000w worth of HID lighting, which is what that number means. Not the wall draw. The 10x factor "error" you are seeing is basically true draw vs observed output when compared to HID.
Granted, I paid $300 a pop for mine, they are no joke, and they take me right through harvest. Check out spiderfarmer panels.
I have some cheap sweatshop $25/23w panels that I'd estimate come in around a 150w HID equivalent and absolutely love them for seedlings, and an equally unfair-trade $65/40w/300w equivalent that is currently keeping a pair of 5 foot tall mother plants pretty happy.
Use your tools wisely, and be ready to spend real money on quality equipment.
As an aside, if you're using lights like that, don't waste your time on co2. Your next big investment should be lighting, as it is currently your limiting factor, not atmospheric gas levels
Thanks for the reply!
I bought these specifically to see if cheap Chinese lights were even close to what they are rated (400/600 Watts HPS or 1200 Watts LED). The results were disappointing even for the insanely priced 1200 Watt lights.

Of course I understood what I was buying, and why, and I wanted to know. I get the wall draw, however, using the PAR/LUX meter told me exactly what I was wondering about these lights, in this price range.

Now ya'll know!

I didn't mention that these are the lights that I use for any kind of primary lighting, my goals for these purchases were clear. My primary in the tent mentioned is seen in the photo.

With the set up I have in there, I think I'll continue using Co2. Lighting, is, in fact, not my limiting factor. My environment is dialed in. Additionally, this has nothing to do with work.

These types of things are questions and techniques that I mess with in my personal grow. Of course some will say that one should already somehow know not to purchase these types of Chinese lights, ( not components built elsewhere), however, after reading numerous posts and questions here, it seems that many don't have that clairvoyant power!

So I'll continue to make odd purchases, try 'em out, and report my findings!

Thanks again for the reply!

Attachments

• MY LIGHTS.png
    MY LIGHTS.png
    282 KB · Views: 47
Don't waste your time on Chinese lighting. I ordered (see photos) 3 full spectrum lights from BangGood (Chinese).

Each one was a dismal fraction of it's listed wattage. Using a PAR/LUX Meter each of these came in closer to "one zero less" than advertised.

So; the 1200 Watt light was actually closer to 120 watts than 1200. Continue for each light.

These are excellent for clones or seedlings, but they are insufficient for primary lighting.

Are these the ones they sell on eBarf? I am glad that you posted this today because I was about ready to buy one of those 8000w panels from Shenzhen, China for $40. :mad:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8000W-144L...or-Indoor-Home-Garden-Veg-Plants/353018154718

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=8000w+grow+light&_sop=15

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'm sorry for breaking in but I have a question about lighting and thought this would be a good time to ask questions, if you don't mind. Right now my plants are starting to enter the veg. stage from being seedlings (I think), Right now at the tops of the plants my PAR reading is 250-300. Should I increase PAR and if so how do I know when? I originally had it up to 650-700 PAR and killed the majority of my plants and am just soooooo afraid of going down that road again. Thank you and sorry for jumping in

Sorry buddy. That sucks. I would suggest spiderfarmer lights

Hi everyone, I'm sorry for breaking in but I have a question about lighting and thought this would be a good time to ask questions, if you don't mind. Right now my plants are starting to enter the veg. stage from being seedlings (I think), Right now at the tops of the plants my PAR reading is 250-300. Should I increase PAR and if so how do I know when? I originally had it up to 650-700 PAR and killed the majority of my plants and am just soooooo afraid of going down that road again. Thank you and sorry for jumping in
When you say about to hit veg, what do you mean. After seedling phase i start my full power lighting, with it way off the plants, then inch it down

So , at what period does the plant go from being a seedling to veg state, very first leaves, secondary or full leaf, or maybe 2-3 inches 4-5 inches, that's what I mean, what determines the point of change from seedling to veg state

So , at what period does the plant go from being a seedling to veg state, very first leaves, secondary or full leaf, or maybe 2-3 inches 4-5 inches, that's what I mean, what determines the point of change from seedling to veg state
I consider it vegetative when the first 4 fan leaves form. Then i turn up the light

any particular PAR schedule to follow? ....and thank you for your help
No. I dont even have anything to measure par. You should start a thread next time if you have questions. I can be considered rude to the op to keep asking questions on the thread. Not that we arent happy to help.

LED grow lights sure have come a long way in last few years and with these new full spectrum LEDs on the market, I just don’t see much of a reason to hunt down cheap Blurple LED from China. Unless it’s some a sort of hobby for you.

There’s some good YouTube channels out there that do side by side testing
and the Blurple LEDs can’t compete on the same level of spectrum and efficiency with these new LEDs. Even a lot of the well known Chinese brands are quickly moving away from Blurple lights.

Typically seedling stage is two weeks.

I really can't imagine any grower buying the lights shown in that first post and if you have a "2000 watt" light that only draws a little over 200 watts you are definitely not getting a 2000 watt equivalent. I have the ViparSpectra light in the pic, here's a few specs on it:

Specifications:

- Replaces a 1000W HPS/MH

- Vegetative Coverage at 44": 5x5ft

- Flowering Coverage at 18": 32": 4x4ft

- Avg. Power Draw: 608W MAX

- (270pcs) High Intensity 5W Bridgelux/Epileds LED Chips

- Input Voltage: AC100-240V, Frequency: 50-60Hz

Early last year when I bought mine it was $100+ more. Figures.

Attachments

• screenshot-www.amazon.com-2020.05.03-01_31_04.png
    screenshot-www.amazon.com-2020.05.03-01_31_04.png
    282.9 KB · Views: 46
You get what you pay for and you take your choice. You guys are lucky to have the option, where I live its all Chinese lights.
QYjtpN8

87hrSW7

DKsMh64

Last edited:
IMG_20200503_112406.jpg
I got this from China for $10

a>

a>

Par is 1000 @ about 4"

This is a lame thing to ask but what does PAR mean?

PAR is essentially a measurement of light emission within the photosynthetic range of 400-700nm. This represents the area of light that plants use for photosynthesis, or to grow. PAR is measured by the amount of micro moles of light per square meter per second.

Latest posts

Back