Dr. Phil Claims Weed Makes You Violent and Lowers IQ

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From High Times
Unlicensed Psychologist Dr. Phil Claims Weed Makes You Violent and Lowers IQ
bD70kc8mDQ-oYknfV39mvycQjT4ZNtgiAWH4UhQuQyeQxRbdHkSGqBR27bQ_C8Zim8Rscr_UmzHCl3_t5Fj09f47jxw=w1200-h630-n-k-no-nu

“When you smoke marijuana, it’s like opening your computer up and pouring water inside,” said Dr. Phil.
November 6, 2019
By A.J. Herrington
Unlicensed television psychologist Dr. Phil McGraw claimed on an episode of his talk show last week that cannabis use can make people violent and cause a drop in IQ scores. McGraw made his claims during a segment about an 11-year-old boy named JJ whose mother sought advice to help control his violent and destructive outbursts on the show Dr. Phil.

Video clips and a voice-over depict JJ as a disturbed boy with a history of violence, including hitting his mother and threatening her with a kitchen knife. JJ’s mom also describes finding photos of him holding a gun and exhaling smoke. Another photograph showed the boy smoking what appears to be a blunt.

After the video clip introducing JJ and his mother, McGraw says that JJ is smoking pot to self-medicate his anxiety, adding that he doesn’t believe cannabis use by children is a wise choice while betraying his own bias on the issue.

“Smoking marijuana at 10 years of age, not a good idea,” McGraw says. “Not a good idea at 11 or 12 or 13. I don’t think it’s a good idea period.”

Dr. Phil Makes Unfounded Claims About Pot

Then McGraw makes a wild assertion with no basis in fact, saying his claims are backed by research but conveniently failing to cite it.

“When you smoke marijuana, it’s like opening your computer up and pouring water inside,” McGraw declares. “A lot of things short out and it connects where it’s not supposed to and really creates problems. And this isn’t my opinion, this is hard, solid scientific research.”

David Juurlink, the head of clinical pharmacology and toxicology at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Center in Toronto, tells Vice that “it’s ludicrous to equate smoking cannabis with pouring water on a computer.”

While cannabis use does have some risks, he adds, the idea that pot can cause permanent damage is sensationalism.

“Maybe Dr. Phil should redirect hyperbole to alcohol, tobacco, opioids, and benzos, all of which are considerably more harmful, as is exploiting your troubled preteen on national television,” Juurlink says.

After making his unsupported claims about cannabis’ supposed harm to brains, McGraw makes more unsubstantiated proclamations about the effects of weed, saying that it lowers intelligence and motivation.

“Even occasional marijuana smokers will look at a multi-point drop in IQ, even with just occasional use, like once a week or two or three times a month, you’ll see IQ drop and motivational drop across time. It changes your brain,” says McGraw.

No License to Practice Psychology

While McGraw has no credentials that qualify him as an expert on cannabis or its effects, he has earned a master’s degree in experimental psychology and a doctorate in clinical psychology from the University of North Texas. However, he is not licensed to practice psychology in any state.

His license to practice psychology in Texas was voluntarily surrendered in 2006. In 1989, he was reprimanded by the Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists for having an inappropriate non-physical relationship with a patient. McGraw first came into prominence by appearing on The Oprah Winfrey Show in the 1990s.

Unlicensed Psychologist Dr. Phil Claims Weed Makes You Violent and Lowers IQ
I mean...he'd know about low IQ's and stuff...he's made himself wealthy telling his low IQ peeps how to think.

That's because that racist b.itch Oprah Winfrey made him famous. Stupid ass white woman watching a black racist c.unt that hates white ppl and traffic's children is why she is so well known.😡
And he is a Fking moron that rode her coattail to where he is today. If it wasn't for C,unt Oprah nobody would even know his name. She used him to make herself look like she liked white ppl. Complete bullshit.

That's because that racist b.itch Oprah Winfrey made him famous. Stupid ass white woman watching a black racist c.unt that hates white ppl and traffic's children is why she is so well known.😡
And he is a Fking moron that rode her coattail to where he is today. If it wasn't for C,unt Oprah nobody would even know his name. She used him to make herself look like she liked white ppl. Complete bullshit.
You know you cant fix c.unt

While Doctor Phil has kinda pulled his head out of his own ass in the last couple of years, he still can't let the marijuana thing go. However he isn't the only Doctor who still drinks the Kool aid in regards to Marijuana and it's use. Dr. Drew who I really like thinks similar things.
Here's my take:
They probably are seeing an increase in Psychotic episodes, depression ect...
But
Just like firearms, The current Generation of young people are mentally weak. They started mentally weak.Maybe not their fault, we dropped the ball on them.
This is why they can't handle being around guns either. They don't have a solid foundation in reality to handle the responsibility to own guns or handle the buzz of Marijuana. For most of us, we lived in reality long enough, and have a strong enough Moral compass to know when you get mad, you don't go grab a gun, we know when you get waaay too stoned, and you start having weird stoner thoughts, that they are just that...STONER THOUGHTS. Don't buy too much into them.
Personally I get kind of annoyed talking to 20 year olds about weed, and not trying to be a ****, it's all these guys know how to talk about
"Read any good books lately?" (Crickets)
"What do you think of this political event" (Crickets)
"Hello is there a brain in there"(Crickets)
IDK maybe I am being overly critical

While Doctor Phil has kinda pulled his head out of his own ass in the last couple of years, he still can't let the marijuana thing go. However he isn't the only Doctor who still drinks the Kool aid in regards to Marijuana and it's use. Dr. Drew who I really like thinks similar things.
Here's my take:
But
Just like firearms, The current Generation of young people are mentally weak. They started mentally weak.Maybe not their fault, we dropped the ball on them.
This is why they can't handle being around guns either. They don't have a solid foundation in reality to handle the responsibility to own guns or handle the buzz of Marijuana. For most of us, we lived in reality long enough, and have a strong enough Moral compass to know when you get mad, you don't go grab a gun, we know when you get waaay too stoned, and you start having weird stoner thoughts, that they are just that...STONER THOUGHTS. Don't buy too much into them.
Personally I get kind of annoyed talking to 20 year olds about weed, and not trying to be a ****, it's all these guys know how to talk about
That is because most parents didn't raise their children, electronics did. When I was a kid we played outside. We came when we were called or else and we didn't talk back unless we wanted the fear of God put into us. Now a days every kid has a device and the parents just let them run wild. No morals no scruples nothing. I was raised to respect life all life. I didn't touch a cell phone until after I was 35 and then it came with the job.

Very very true and well said.
I don't see ANY kids outside anymore. That's why they have no immunity and most couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag.

Here's my take:
But
Good point(s).

Latest posts

Back