Drainage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarheeler

Reaction score
When using the big 5 gallon pots how do you do drainage? I have a metal building that I didn't really want to drill holes into the bottom of.... Any help would be appreciated !

If it is an actual pot and not a bucket or pail it should have drainage holes in the bottom already. If you are using a bucket or pail you will have to make holes in the bottom.

I have my pots elevated so I can put a drip pan under the pot when I water them, then when they have quit dripping I empty the pan after I take a few measurements of the runnoff.

Not sure if you're asking how to drain the buckets or how to drain the runoff.

I doubt it's how to drain the buckets because all you need to do is drill holes in them.

So, it must be the runoff.

I use a kiddie swimming pool. It fills my entire room and I have it stapled to the walls. Then, I line that with a plastic tarp that goes a few inches up all 4 sides.

Most runoff is caught in the tarp and evaporates quickly. Once or twice I have had to get some paper towels and soak up the runoff because I didn't want to extra humidity. There's never enough runoff to get to the pool.

I am also going to elevate my pots this time by setting them on 1" rigid PVC pipe. I like to see what's draining out of the bottom.

I would use drip trays under the buckets. I have a 3 x 6 flowering closet that I keep thinking about putting a shower pan in and connecting to the drainage system.

I never liked drip trays under each separate bucket. My buckets are wall to wall and it's hard to get to them (to drain them) and it's actually hard to see back there when the plants are full.

I had one grow where the back plant was wilting and I didn't know why until I noticed that the drip tray was always full. Just didn't see it that far back.

Now, I use a kiddie swimming pool and no drip trays at all. I also thought about a shower drain or other rigid solution but never found anything exactly the size I needed. The pool works great.

LOL--I never grow bucket to bucket. IMO, that is far too crowded. I like my plants to have a little room around them. However, even if I put a shower pan with a drain in my closet, I would still use individual drip trays--different strains take different strengths of nutes and some are thirstier than others. We each have what works best for us.

I have never done it any other way. LOL

However, I am trying all kinds of new things, now. Thanks to all of you.

:)

Latest posts

Back