Dry Ice Decarboxylation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldfogey8

Very grouchy and ornery today…
Reaction score
I have a question for the chemistry experts here. I know traditionally decarboxylation is done with heat(temps and times are an entirely different subject that is an on-going debate). As I think I understand it, decarboxylation takes place when CO2 is knocked off the acid(THCA>THC or CBDA>CBD). Can the frozen CO2(dry ice) do the same thing? Anecdotally I made some dry ice hash/keif a couple of years ago. The trim I used was put in a seal bag and forgotten about(in my cool dark basement) for about 2 years. I found the bag and noticed a fair amount keif at the bottom so I decided to make butter with it. I don’t decarb. I have always used a slow cooker to make my butter with coconut oil. I cook on low for 12+ hours. I tried about a quarter tsp of this batch and was soooo stoned for at least 6 hours. I know THC breaks down into CBN over time so it could be the heavy dose of CBN that did me in but since the starting product wasn’t traditionally decarbed, is it more likely that the batch was decarbed by the dry ice or the quasi-sous vide preparation of slow cooking?

Not sure you could decarb with Dry ice because there is no heat involved.

15 hours later, I still feel a bit buzzed. Not complaining or maybe it is just the covidmonkeypox…
Nope I have old weed and my Guru on tinctures told me and verified it with Lab tests
The old weed will decarb it self as it breaks down . Needs to be over a year old and not stored cold

I am not sure either. I am wondering if there is a chemical reaction though that would use the sublimating CO2 to free the CO2 in the acid compounds.

Maybe they don’t need to? I don’t decarb before I make butter. I always assumed it was my low and slow cooking of my brownies that was decarbing the material in the butter. I am comparing Apples with PC’s though…

Maybe they don’t need to? I don’t decarb before I make butter. I always assumed it was my low and slow cooking of my brownies that was decarbing the material in the butter. I am comparing Apples with PC’s though…
Bring it to a lab and have your method tested to find out

The Crock would have caused decarb

Attachments

• 1654869509678.png
    1654869509678.png
    250.9 KB · Views: 1
I wonder why (I know the experts will tell me in scientific quotes) weed needs to be decarbed? The three different times in my life that my dogs found a stray, undecarbed bud on the floor and got ripped outta their gourds kinda shows that straight weed gets ya high after ingestion.

Latest posts

Back