dry rapid rooter in veg?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I totally agree with Sunakard on this. I think the problem you are currently having is the roots have dried out too much and the seedlings are having to rebuild them. Don't worry at this point about the leaves that are browning off as that is a result of the roots drying out. Get some "Root66" or other "root tonic" and add a little bit to your water and that will help them repair their roots quicker. Any time you see new plant growth, that is a sign that they are still viable plants.

i didn't know the browning off of the leaves could mean the roots are drying too much, thats weird after i took one of the AKs out of the pots/hydroton to check the roots, the hydroton was still soaked. the only dried roots were the scraggly roots near the top of the rapid rooter that didn't get wet because obviously the water level doesnt touch the rapid rooter but any thoughts on rhizotonic? i know its expenisive but if it gets the job done right then its worth the price. i feel like some people either don't use it and think its basically snake oil and then theres people who used it once and say they'll never grow without it again. and also, any thoughts on H&G root excelerator ?

I can't believe I'm disagreeing with these guys (ducking and running) <br/>
I only see two plants, trash them. Turn off that lamp. Save for a T5 with 6500K and a fan for the canopy, NO domes<br/>
I also think you are fine in those pots. You can top water 2-3 times a day forever, when you see those nice white roots starting out the bottom, start yer ebbing & flowing<br/>
which is pretty much what pcduck said... I just muddied the waters.

The browning off of the leaves can be several things, not just the roots drying out. But in this case, we know that your having trouble keeping the rooter and hydroton moist. Don't be afraid to keep them wet. being in hydro means keeping them wet. They can actually sit completely submerged in water and still do fine. I have seen it done. The key is keeping that water at the proper temperature(67-70) and keeping it aerated with oxygen filled air.

I'm not sure but I don't think you can use Rhizotonic in hydro setup as most of the microbes will drown. If you are going to try to do Organics you can get some liquid working microbes but if you are going to use synthetic nutes like most hydro/soilless growers then you will not need any microbes, and any that you do add will not survive long as they have nothing to eat.

I can't believe I'm disagreeing with these guys (ducking and running) <br/>
I only see two plants, trash them. Turn off that lamp. Save for a T5 with 6500K and a fan for the canopy, NO domes<br/>
I also think you are fine in those pots. You can top water 2-3 times a day forever, when you see those nice white roots starting out the bottom, start yer ebbing & flowing<br/>
which is pretty much what pcduck said... I just muddied the waters.

yeah my whole thing with the domes is they take away air circulation which I've read is key to staying pest, mold and disease free but yes sir thats basically what I'm doing. going from rapid rooter tray (germination.sprout) then put the rapid rooter in a 5" netcup with hydroton (hand water the net cup under the t5) then once the roots are at the bottom of the net cup i know I'm good to flood because the bottom of the netcup is like 1.5" below the flood line I'm just trying to decide if i should wait a week or 2 after i start flooding before i put the 400w on them

The browning off of the leaves can be several things, not just the roots drying out. But in this case, we know that your having trouble keeping the rooter and hydroton moist. Don't be afraid to keep them wet. being in hydro means keeping them wet. They can actually sit completely submerged in water and still do fine. I have seen it done. The key is keeping that water at the proper temperature(67-70) and keeping it aerated with oxygen filled air.

I'm not sure but I don't think you can use Rhizotonic in hydro setup as most of the microbes will drown. If you are going to try to do Organics you can get some liquid working microbes but if you are going to use synthetic nutes like most hydro/soilless growers then you will not need any microbes, and any that you do add will not survive long as they have nothing to eat.

yeah my water temp is at 68-69 degrees but I'm using synthetic i just assumed rhizotonic was applicable in flood and drain, i thought it was cannazyme that couldn't be used because the h2o2 would be render it useless. could something like the root66 be used with h2o2? my shop has it but its organic so doesnt that mean my h202 would make it useless? my shop doesnt have the botanicare rhizo blast though

yeah my whole thing with the domes is they take away air circulation which I've read is key to staying pest, mold and disease free but yes sir thats basically what I'm doing. going from rapid rooter tray (germination.sprout) then put the rapid rooter in a 5&quot; netcup with hydroton (hand water the net cup under the t5) then once the roots are at the bottom of the net cup i know I'm good to flood because the bottom of the netcup is like 1.5&quot; below the flood line I'm just trying to decide if i should wait a week or 2 after i start flooding before i put the 400w on them

Domes are for clones. I don't think seeds need nearly the humidity. Keep the place clean and you won't have any problems, but you're right o be wary. You have a T5, perfect. I wouldn't be in a hurry to get them under that HPS again, save it for flower. Maybe you can get an MH bulb for your ballast but I wouldn't. You'll find lots of things to spend money on :-(

everywhere I see overfeeding it seems. this taboo of coco in ebbnflow is false.
I used 2 gal smart pots, 50% coco/chunky perlite. ebbnflow twice a day working fantastic. leaves pointing up. my 1000w stays high not to bleach nothing. I may have to add a third flood...loving it and wont go back now.

Once you get the functions of coco down and remember to use something like the smart pots to prevent the small bits of coir from going into the hydro system, coco works very well. I prefer to use coco coir and pearlite exclusively, but I have recently added some coco chips on the bottom to help with drainage. The roots seem to like it quite well.

Phoenix: yes the root66 will work fine with the H2O2 as it isn't microbe based. But I wouldn't use the H2O2 (I have never needed it in my years of growing) I know its an important component to fight off pathogens in the water but unless you have some issues with your water, it generally isn't needed in an ongoing manner. I have a bottle of it that I bought 5 years ago and brought it in the house as I had not so much as cracked the seal on it.

Once you get the functions of coco down and remember to use something like the smart pots to prevent the small bits of coir from going into the hydro system, coco works very well. I prefer to use coco coir and pearlite exclusively, but I have recently added some coco chips on the bottom to help with drainage. The roots seem to like it quite well.

Phoenix: yes the root66 will work fine with the H2O2 as it isn't microbe based. But I wouldn't use the H2O2 (I have never needed it in my years of growing) I know its an important component to fight off pathogens in the water but unless you have some issues with your water, it generally isn't needed in an ongoing manner. I have a bottle of it that I bought 5 years ago and brought it in the house as I had not so much as cracked the seal on it.

well the only thing is right now I'm having a problem lol in my res i have some clear/white stuff.. it looks almost like old broken up toilet paper floating around in the res and when you take it out and examine it its like a a jelly/gelatin snot-like stuff that floats around and sticks to the air stone and water pump filter. its hard to get a pic of it. i couldn't even see my air stone 5 days after a total res/tray/hose cleaning/sterilization (although, i didn't clean my pump filter) so i cleaned and sterilized it all again today and added another stone but from my research i think its a bacteria bloom and idk where it started from but i definitely need to get rid of it so I'm probably going put some uv in the res and hope that can help me fight whatever is breeding in my res because I'm definitely not trying to fully clean and sterilize my tank and res every 3 or 4 days

View attachment Photo on 1-14-16 at 12.15 AM #2.jpg

View attachment Photo on 1-14-16 at 12.15 AM #3.jpg

View attachment Photo on 1-14-16 at 12.15 AM.jpg

Do you see this every time you start a new rez of solution? is this before, or after using the H2O2, or is this what happens if you don't use the H2O2?

Jesus, remind me not to log on here before eating, man, that's gross, start over!
Use HDPE plastic, clean all again, light bleach, rinse well, let water sit a day after H2O2 (I say 15mL per 5gal)
Is your water always covered? temperature?

ALWAYS USE GLOVES WITH H202 (29%) BEFORE YOU TOUCH THE BOTTLE AND RINSE EVERYTHING ESPECIALLY THE DAMN GLOVES AND BEFORE YOU TAKE THEM OFF, THE STUFF IS AWFUL!!!

Do you see this every time you start a new rez of solution? is this before, or after using the H2O2, or is this what happens if you don't use the H2O2?

well the res change i did 2 days ago was my 3rd res change and i saw it in the other 2 and I've noticed the h2o2 seems to slow it down. when i waited 5 days before reapplying the h2o2 is when it got really bad. couldn't even see my airstone

Jesus, remind me not to log on here before eating, man, that's gross, start over!
Use HDPE plastic, clean all again, light bleach, rinse well, let water sit a day after H2O2 (I say 15mL per 5gal)
Is your water always covered? temperature?

ALWAYS USE GLOVES WITH H202 (29%) BEFORE YOU TOUCH THE BOTTLE AND RINSE EVERYTHING ESPECIALLY THE DAMN GLOVES AND BEFORE YOU TAKE THEM OFF, THE STUFF IS AWFUL!!!

lol sorry dude but yeah i absolutely cleaned and sterilized everything from my pump and filter to my syringe and ph meter and tray. i even used the hose in my sink to totally flush the plants and sterilized the outside of the pots and used a spray bottle to pour h2o2 in the pots and of course i use gloves that **** fuckin burns if it gets on you and i have 35% too lol but no i don't cover it to not get algae and bacteria build up on the cover and stuff, i did buy black hose and another airstone and an air pump thats 3 times more powerful and uses 2 air stones though. and my res temps around around 68-69. never over 69 though

lol sorry dude but yeah i absolutely cleaned and sterilized everything from my pump and filter to my syringe and ph meter and tray. i even used the hose in my sink to totally flush the plants and sterilized the outside of the pots and used a spray bottle to pour h2o2 in the pots and of course i use gloves that **** fuckin burns if it gets on you and i have 35% too lol but no i don't cover it to not get algae and bacteria build up on the cover and stuff, i did buy black hose and another airstone and an air pump thats 3 times more powerful and uses 2 air stones though. and my res temps around around 68-69. never over 69 though

I was relieved to see the lol there, you're having a rough go of it, I should be a more tactful here, I feel your pain! Temps are good but I don't think you'll get away with water uncovered (I got that **** on my hand IN THE STORE, it should come in a plastic bag like that acid to unclog drains, cripes, 35%... isn't that rocket fuel?)

I was relieved to see the lol there, you're having a rough go of it, I should be a more tactful here, I feel your pain! Temps are good but I don't think you'll get away with water uncovered (I got that **** on my hand IN THE STORE, it should come in a plastic bag like that acid to unclog drains, cripes, 35%... isn't that rocket fuel?)

yeah I'm hoping everything will be good and clear now so i can actually start seeing some real growth in these damn plants lol but I'm thinking I'm probably going to cover it once my northern lights are ready to transplant because thats when I'm going put up my black tubing in place of the clear tubing but yeah thats some strong stuff, it'll temporarily bleach the skin and have you itching like a crackhead lol

Are you certain that its bacteria and not single cell algae from having too much light getting into the water. Are you using well water or city water? I would have it tested to see what that is.

Are you certain that its bacteria and not single cell algae from having too much light getting into the water. Are you using well water or city water? I would have it tested to see what that is.

i mean i guess it could be that (I'm not qualified or experienced enough to know) but everywhere i read it said that if its clear it probably isn't algae because algae need to photosynthesize to grow and doing that gives it some sort or color, unless single celled algae is different but idk, I'm not educated on single cell algae but believe it or not, the tank doesnt get much light because my tray fits perfectly in my tent and my res is only like 4 or 5in under it so most of the light gets blocked. the only other light i have is my t5 which is on the side of the res but the light hits more of the drain tubing then it does in the res plus its a few inches lower then the res so there isn't much lighting hitting the water. and i was thinking about having it tested but idk *** to look for in a test lol. i was also thinking about putting a uv light at the top of the res to help with the sterilization, like i said my whole res is supposed to be sterile and synthetic anyway so i don't see how it could do any harm. any thoughts on the uv light?

If you could get a UV light under the table so that its not shining up onto the plants but run it on the same schedule as your lights.

I would take a water sample from your source water and have it tested to see if there is something in your system. I have a single cell pink organism that is prevalent in my water but it doesn't harm anything unless you don't clean the toilets in the house. Then it will build a thin pink slime. I get some slime growth in my system but it doesn't get to where its a problem. It may be the same stuff that gets in the toilets but I'm not sure.

If you could get a UV light under the table so that its not shining up onto the plants but run it on the same schedule as your lights.

I would take a water sample from your source water and have it tested to see if there is something in your system. I have a single cell pink organism that is prevalent in my water but it doesn't harm anything unless you don't clean the toilets in the house. Then it will build a thin pink slime. I get some slime growth in my system but it doesn't get to where its a problem. It may be the same stuff that gets in the toilets but I'm not sure.
thats a pretty good idea to make the area surrounding my res sterile but the pink organism stays away aslong as the toilets are clean? ***? loll but yeah then I'm definitely going to get it tested because i need the problem solved before i put my northern lights in the flood table but thanks for the responses and feedback dude!!

Latest posts

Back