Dry stressing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafminer

Bloody H E L L !
Reaction score
Anyone here do this? I mean, stressing the plants by wilting them over the last few days before harvest, the aim being to try to stimulate resin production.

I have never really understood this....what does it really mean? Immature trichs do not get you high, so what is really happening from a botanical point of view if a plant does get more resin production?

yes Ive read and tried this...Although they say the resin production is better ..Ive found it to be as the same...But then again Im Hiogh as hell

take care abe safe

The Hemp Goddess said:
I have never really understood this....what does it really mean? Immature trichs do not get you high, so what is really happening from a botanical point of view if a plant does get more resin production?

do you have a link to any info on trichome formation vs. potency?

OP, don't have any science to back it up but letting the plants wilt a bit seems like it would only slow down the processes happening in the plant.

I have heard of it being done to speed up the drying process, but thats it.

I have to keep it as dry as possible anyway, to try and reduce the botrytis risk.

I've heard that keeping the soil too dry raises the chances of hermie...

Is that correct?

I ask because if any of my plants have had "dry stress" Its the Trainwreck and that showed nanners last night...

The Hemp Goddess said:

If this theory does increase trich production, the only good I see it for is bag appeal, or saying how much keif you can get from grinding one of your buds.

"look how frosty my buds are!!!"

I'm going to let the plant speak for itself, by growing the same from start to finish. Just my opinion.

dman1234 said:

Yep, ^that.

I like to water the day before I trim, so the stems are super stiff. If the plant is too dry the stems are all floppy and its a PITA to trim IMO

I have read that keeping the soil overly moist in flower will make the THC diluted so the THC level will be low. I have always questioned that line of thinking because it made me wonder what happens when growing hydro. I mean, how much wetter can you get? Dankity dank weed is grown going hydro with very high THC count.

On my grows i sometimes let my cooling system run during the dark period the last couple weeks, the chill seems to produce trichomes,52 degrees is chilly in puget sound!! ya eye appeal, but I still grow them till they turn amber!! then i let the dirt dry out, never to wilting the plants though, She manicures before I cut the stem from the pot, makes it easier if nothings dead or wilted.

dman1234 said:
ding ding ding

I just don't see how it could help the plant. Water is the life blood of plants and they use it to move nutes and hormones around inside the plant itself. So by reducing the amount of water the plant has available you war restricting the plants abality to grow and function properly.

ozzydiodude said:
I just don't see how it could help the plant. Water is the life blood of plants and they use it to move nutes and hormones around inside the plant itself. So by reducing the amount of water the plant has available you war restricting the plants ability to grow and function properly.

I'm conflicted about it. I see where what you're saying makes perfect logic, but on the other hand I see where what is said about the advantages of "Dry Stressing" could also be logical.

As to which is better...I don't know. I feed and water right up to harvest and always have. It's the only way I grow and my weed always turns out awesome. I'm afraid to change methods for fear that it would lessen the yield or quality from where it is now.

Yeah, I've heard that one too.. I don't think that it works but one if the theorys I've heard is that by withholding water the plant goes into a stress state and then produces more resin as resin is part of it's defense system against attacks., doubt it..

It really depends on what the trichs are for. Nobody knows. There are so many theories. One is that they are a vestige of an insect trapping system (tomatoes also have sticky stems that trap insects) but I haven't seen many insects stuck on mine, so I doubt that idea.
Then there's the idea that it's to make predators forget where they found the plant . . .
Then there's the idea that relates to dry stressing, that the plant uses it to prevent too much moisture evaporating from the leaves in hot dry conditions. But who knows? Probably all these ideas might be wrong...

leafminer said:
...it's to make predators forget where they found the plant . . .

Dude, that gave me a hell of a laugh. I can just see a bug scratchin it's head goin "Now where the hell was that yummy plant?"

A bug buzz. hahaha

Ha, it made me think of elephants. "I swear I never forget ... this is gonna bug the crap out of me all day..."

leafminer said:
Then there's the idea that it's to make predators forget where they found the plant . . .

That probably isn't that far off from the evolutionary truth. Anyone here have a cat? I have lived and grown with a few different cats and all of the cats would bite and eat the leaves of my vegging mj plants whenever they got the chance. But they would never touch budding plants or dried buds. Perhaps the THC production is a way of warding off certain types of insects or herbivores?

-SSF-

leafminer said:
It really depends on what the trichs are for. Nobody knows. There are so many theories. One is that they are a vestige of an insect trapping system (tomatoes also have sticky stems that trap insects) but I haven't seen many insects stuck on mine, so I doubt that idea.
Then there's the idea that relates to dry stressing, that the plant uses it to prevent too much moisture evaporating from the leaves in hot dry conditions. But who knows? Probably all these ideas might be wrong...

Another theory is that the trichomes protect the plant when it's cold. The truly important part is the bud that would make seeds for the next generation. Last winter while snowing I moved a plant in full flower from the shed to the house (20-30 seconds at most) Over the next few days before trimming I watched all the fan leaves curl and die but the trichome covered areas came out like nothing ever happened. I read an article somewhere that supports this but like everything in evolution, I'm sure that no one answer will solve the mystery. You also have to consider the origin of that particular strain and all the ORIGINAL environmental factors that helped to shape that plants response to nature. I've also read something about resin production vs. UV exposure......so many factors.

Like SSF said, warding off insects through being trapped along with resin gumming up insect mouths, it tastes pretty unpleasant and some have less than pleasant odors(depending on who you ask :)

Latest posts

Back