Drying/curring problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayd512

Reaction score
What’s up my grow family.. just another question on the best way to dry and cure without losing all the wonderful smells? Not sure what I’m doing wrong but it seems like I lose a lot of the dankness smell from my buds. I’ve since gotten past the grass/hay smell but I know I’m still doing something wrong please help!
Note: I do the 24hr of darkness before I cut and I usually do half and half wet/dry trim after about 7ish days of hang drying. Usually smokes well but feels like a loss when u don’t get that lovely smell.

Note: I do the 24hr of darkness before I cut and I usually do half and half wet/dry trim after about 7ish days of hang drying. Usually smokes well but feels like a loss when u don’t get that lovely smell.

I am no expert - but this procedure always worked for me - and kept the SKUNK dankness in the buds:

I would hang the buds (still attached to their stems) by strings - keep in a small dark cool bathroom with oscillating fan run on timer - low speed -- 6hrs on 6hrs off / 6hrs on 6hrs off - for a week.

Check dampness - they should feel dry.

Trim buds off stems,
Place buds in large glass canning jars, seal tops.
Place bottle in cool dark closet,

for first 2 weeks - Every 2 days - Burp Them - Remove lids from jars - let them breathe..
(you will notice buds are wet again -from humidity inside jar).
After a few hours - put tops back on jars. - repeat burping cycle.

for next two weeks - Every 4 days - Burp them as described above..

as time passes, you will notice buds are less damp when lids are removed.
So this may change the total time (less/more than 4 weeks - depends on humidity)
Once they stop getting "wet again" - FINISHED

1st day of Fifth week - FIRE AWAY like a proud Daddy...

I do all this also.. small tent for the drying with small fan inside not blowing directly on them. Only thing that sounds a little diff is the burping as I do it every day twice a day for about 30secs to a min each time for the first week. Then once for the second/third week. Then every other day after... I think I might be putting in the jars too soon?? Can’t figure it out. I’ll switch up my burping see if that helps. Thanks for info.

I think 30sec / 1 min(as you described) is way too short on time.

When burping

it is important to let the buds dry (increase your burping time - you don't have to - but you can - carefully dump buds out of bottle onto a towel, then replace in bottle - I never did - just let bottles open for a couple hours - all vapors in bottle will dissipate/evaporate. (3-4 hours is what I do)

Then back sealed for couple/few days till buds are wet/damp again..

I think the cycle of dry/wet dry/wet --- finally dry -- is critical during curing process for quality product.

Very important to keep the jars cool & dark.

later

Yeah sounds like a good idea.. we’ll see next harvest..should be a good one just don’t wanna ruin it.

I pull the fan leaves and hang the limbs until the small stems snap, at which time I trim and jar. I keep the jars in my basement where it is cool and burp them every few days. Once the chlorophyll deprotonates, it will no longer have an alfalfa smell, but should still be rife with terpenes.

rayd512 , if you send me a generous test sample , I can provide you with expert advice on getting the best out of your crop!

PM me for details.

Yep,,get out the bong and ill test everything. Dont want you smoking the wrong stuff. Might take me several bowls to figure it out Rad😁

Careful Hopper looks like a trap.....better take along a couple of your buddies....ha ha!

tenor.gif

Well as long as he gets me and you high i dont care. Just no spankings i aint into that M&M stuff.
😂😂😂😂

I do all this also.. small tent for the drying with small fan inside not blowing directly on them. Only thing that sounds a little diff is the burping as I do it every day twice a day for about 30secs to a min each time for the first week. Then once for the second/third week. Then every other day after... I think I might be putting in the jars too soon?? Can’t figure it out. I’ll switch up my burping see if that helps. Thanks for info.
It's not hard.
Get a hygrometer or two for each jar (or assume all jars are the same).
You need to get the humidity down to 62-65% so they will cure and not mold.
Under 60% and they will be too dry to cure well and will stay harsher tasting.
Over 70% and they should be taken back out of the jars, spread on a tray and allowed to dry for several hours.
Never use a fan directly on the drying pot.
Once you hit 65%, you should place a 62% Boveda pack in each jar to preserve the correct humidity.
You can burp them once a week after that for a few weeks to release the chlorophyl but there's no need to burp them long term once they are at the right humidity and in airtight jars.

Latest posts

Back