Drying my weed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Track

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or not, but my weed hasn't come out like the pictures I see online.

Now, I quick-dried it by placing it in my grow room with the lights turned on for 3 days. Each day, it was a little dryer until it finally became completely dry.

This is what I see online. As you can see, it's like a small puff ball:
animal_cookies.jpg

Where as my weed looks like dried oregano, with no puffiness. The leaves are all curled and dry. It feels like there is no substance.

IMG_20140531_103818.jpg

Am I seeing wrong? I'd really like some professional input on this.

Thanks!

what wattage did you grow the plant under? alot has to do with the conditions the plant was grown in also every weed is different and a greater part of those compact buds you see there have to do with light intensity plant health and also strain also always try to dry in a dark area

Have you read about curing? You dry in the dark and then jar....

Have you read about curing? You dry in the dark and then jar....

Yes, I've realized that the reason my buds don't look as 'juicy' is because of either the lit drying or the lack of curing.

Curing seems to take about a month. Is it worth it?

Yes it is worth it to do a nice cure. I understand being in a hurry, but that sounds like some nasty harsh stuff that doesn't need to be harsh or nasty.... over drying isn't good.

If it has been dried to 57% it is to late for curing. The curing takes place before the bud dries out.that is why you have to dry it slowly.

What do you mean 'over drying'?

Eventually, the buds will get to be 100% dry, no? As long as they're not connected to the plant.

So, I'm supposed to put them in the mason jar as soon as they reach 50% dryness?

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54451

Check out this thread. It tells you how to cure, step by step.

So, if I'm getting this right:

1.) Trim buds, remove leaves.
2.) Hang the buds in the dark until the stem is slightly harder but not dry.
3.) Cut buds into smaller portions and store in mason jar.
4.) Keep in mason jar for about a month, opening for 10-20 minutes a day.
5.) Once buds reach 55% dryness, they are finished curing.

Is that right? I'm not totally clear about how the stem should feel.. it's already kind of hard and when it's dry it doesn't really snap for me..

Yeah, you got it. I put hygrometers in the jars so I could keep track of the humidity.

It depends on how much you have drying at one time but when I had my grow in ffull swing, I was drying about a pound at a time. I built a cabinet that had shelves in it that were made with window screen. I cut my buds up into good size nuggets after trimming all the leaves off then placed them on a screen and placed in cabinet. The cabinet had holes in the bottom to let in air and a hole in the top with a computer fan connected to a timer.

When I had my cabinet full, I would turn on the fan continuous so that it would pull the moisture out of the cabinet slowly so as to not create a breeze on the buds. I usually let them set in the cabinet for 4-8 days, depending on the amount of bud and the level of ambient moisture in the atmosphere. But I could tell when the buds were ready to be jarred by gently squeezing a few of them. They would feel slightly soft inside but crispy on the outside.

At that point I would take them off the screens and put them in jars. Fill the jars about 3/4 full and close lid then place in dark space for 24hrs. Then go back and open jars and feel the buds. If the buds ffeel wet, I dump them out on the screens again and allow them to sit in air ffor a few hours, then put back in jars for 12hrs, then check again. Usually they would be fine at this point for airing them out every 12hrs for 1 week. Then air them every 24hrs for another week. Then air them out every 48hrs for another week. At that point they are ready ffor use but could be kept in jars and continue to be aired every 48hrs for another 1-3weeks for finer curing to really bring out the fflavors.

The key to knowing when to move to the next function is in feeling the buds for "crispiness" and inner "mushiness", then the buds should lose the "crispiness" on the outside while feeling more stiff or firm on the inside. By the 3rd week they should feel a little "leathery" on the outside but very stiff when squeezed.

Your buds looked to be small, "airy popcorn" buds rather than dense "nuggets". If those are the best of your yield then you are doing something wrong. Some strains will produce "acorn" buds or "golf ball" buds but the density and weight, and tightness of the buds is almost always a result of the amount of light that the plants receive while flowering. Yours look as if they didn't get enough lumens during their development and/or were subjected to continually high temperatures.

Hushpuppy I am also learning how to cure . I am gonna try the method you explained i left mine in a dry rack for like a month there were way dry and i was wondering why the smoke i cured was not so good . thanks HP

It depends on how much you have drying at one time but when I had my grow in ffull swing, I was drying about a pound at a time. I built a cabinet that had shelves in it that were made with window screen. I cut my buds up into good size nuggets after trimming all the leaves off then placed them on a screen and placed in cabinet. The cabinet had holes in the bottom to let in air and a hole in the top with a computer fan connected to a timer.

Sounds like what you created was similar to this:
http://boards.cannabis.com/attachme...2-showing-off-my-new-drying-rack-000_0279.jpg

Your buds looked to be small, "airy popcorn" buds rather than dense "nuggets". If those are the best of your yield then you are doing something wrong. Some strains will produce "acorn" buds or "golf ball" buds but the density and weight, and tightness of the buds is almost always a result of the amount of light that the plants receive while flowering. Yours look as if they didn't get enough lumens during their development and/or were subjected to continually high temperatures.

Those are definitely not my biggest buds. I took small ones just for a test.
However, I do agree that my buds aren't as big as some I've seen.

The light can't be the reason. I have 5 plants under a 1000w HPS.

The temperature could be the reason. I didn't have an airconditioner until about 3 weeks ago, and the temps were high.
But even now, I only have the air conditioner working every half hour, not continuously.. so there are spikes - something hot sometimes cold. Is that okay?

The buds are not going to try tight and nuggy if they are not tight and nuggy to begin with. If the buds are airier, it is most likely because you simply did not have as dense as the bud you posted. There is simply no way to cure and/or dry that will make buds that did not start out dense denser. If anything they get a little more open and airier.

I also trim off far more leaf material than you did--virtually all the leaf material that I can. Leaf material makes the bud smoke harsh. And it is not like you are wasting it--you can make hash when you get enough.

I was looking into a system like this one for drying my nugs.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Cure-Drying-Rack-Flowers/dp/B004MS4L5G/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1401644836&sr=8-12&keywords=herb+drying+rack[/ame]

The buds are not going to try tight and nuggy if they are not tight and nuggy to begin with. If the buds are airier, it is most likely because you simply did not have as dense as the bud you posted. There is simply no way to cure and/or dry that will make buds that did not start out dense denser. If anything they get a little more open and airier.

I also trim off far more leaf material than you did--virtually all the leaf material that I can. Leaf material makes the bud smoke harsh. And it is not like you are wasting it--you can make hash when you get enough.

Yeah, the hash idea was given to me by a friend. I'll look into that.

I gave it to a good friend of mine and he said it's as good as what he's used to buying around here.

So, that means that a bud that has been light-dried, not cured and left hanging in my grow room for 6 days is easily sell-able, which is very good news for me :D

Lyffespan: I think that is a good drying rack, even though I have never used one like that. Mine was similar, just home-made. It is important to have very little air movement but just enough to pull the moist air away from the buds without creating a breeze that would over-dry them.

Track: it is certainly possible for the high temps and temp swings to cause the buds to be airy. You really have to maintain a balanced environment with very little extremes or wild temp swings. It also makes a difference that the water is kept cool, 65-72f(18-22c). The plants don't like water above 75f(23c). If what you have done so far is on par with the local stuff then you are on your way. As you get more experience and knowledge, you will be able to produce buds that blow away the commercial stuff.

Track: it is certainly possible for the high temps and temp swings to cause the buds to be airy. You really have to maintain a balanced environment with very little extremes or wild temp swings. It also makes a difference that the water is kept cool, 65-72f(18-22c). The plants don't like water above 75f(23c). If what you have done so far is on par with the local stuff then you are on your way. As you get more experience and knowledge, you will be able to produce buds that blow away the commercial stuff.

So, you're saying that by turning the airconditioner on and off I am actually doing more bad than good?

In that case, I should set it to a lower temperature and keep it on 24/7?

Latest posts

Back