Drying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bho_expertz

Aloha from Hell
Reaction score
Hi all,

Have a question ... Apart of personnal taste there is any difference between drying the plants upside down or horizontaly in drying nets ?

the only thing I have noticed is the buds flatten out when drying horizontally

Some trichomes get mushed off in the net.

Drying vertically makes the leaves fold down over the buds, protecting them. I found it's easier to remove leaves this way once cured.

I manicure all my buds prior to drying--I believe that you disturb and damage the trichomes far less trimming while the plant is it is wet rather than dry. In addition, I find it way way harder to trim a dry plant than a wet one. I don't really understand leaving leaf material to "protect" the trichs...protect them from what?

I always hang my buds vertically if possible. I do notice that small bud that needs to be dried on a screen always seems to leave trichs on the screen.

I do both, and on the same plant. I trim all the lower buds first, then usually grow lazy and walk away, sometimes leaving the bottom buds untrimmed until dry (both my PE's would be examples lol). I don't see it any harder, but I do think there's a little more damage.

I said lower first...well, it's hanging upside down, so it's truly the top buds, just on bottom :confused2: :rofl:

I read that leaving the leaves on allows the center of the bud to more evenly dry, because the fluid paths are still intact.. though I can't verify this.

As I understand, it protects during the curing process, assuming they're jarred and rotated after slow-drying. Leaves were removed after cure, just before storage.

I found it easier to trim when dry; I would sort of hover one hand around the bud, while gripping the stem with the other, and with a little squeeze they would crackle off; then pinch off the larger fan leaf stems.

I found I could easily rip off the larger fan leaf stems, right down to the center stem, which wasn't effective when wet.

I definitely notice that the small leaves at the top of the bud shrink into the bud, making trimming that part impossible; unlike when trimmed when dry.

Many times, the leaves will rip off with a "string" connecting to the stem still, causing some buds to get ripped off accidentally...slow works best! :)

So no one dries in nets ?

I will have a space to dry that is 2x2x4. I don't think i will able to hang 8 in there :doh:

King Bud said:
....I found it easier to trim when dry; I would sort of hover one hand around the bud, while gripping the stem with the other, and with a little squeeze they would crackle off; then pinch off the larger fan leaf stems.

I found I could easily rip off the larger fan leaf stems, right down to the center stem, which wasn't effective when wet...

LOL--this is funny. I trim when wet for the same reasons. When wet, the stem snaps quite effectively for me and does not have that string thing that Roddy mentioned. When dry, it is so much harder for me and my fingers end up way way stickier, telling me that I have pulled more trichomes off.

I trim my buds wet, and then hang in nets bho. Trimming dry bud is maddening!

Like most everyone else, I trim while wet. I set my buds on wax paper covered cookie sheets. A few trichs fall off but not an amount that could remotely affect the quality. The best part is rubbing the pad of your finger around the wax paper and picking up a fine layer of what makes a nice little hash wafer.

dman1234 said:
JMO but if i trimmrd dry bud i would lose my mind.

Yeah, I just hate it too. On occasion I have cut a plant and then something intervened to prevent me from trimming right away. Trimming dry bud makes me crazy. If too dry, I don't deal with it and it will just go into the hash making baggie. I also hate it when the leaf wraps up around the bud and is almost impossible to trim off. I think leaf material just smokes nasty and I want absolutely as much leaf material gone as is possible.

bho_expertz said:
So no one dries in nets ?

I will have a space to dry that is 2x2x4. I don't think i will able to hang 8 in there :doh:

I hang complete plant when trimmed...no rack!

When the plants were ready for harvesting, the caretakers hung them to dry or used screens as drying racks, balanced on upside-down paper cups, police said.
Apparantly that's how they do it in Chicago :). I trim before drying. I believe the "leaf on to protect tric's" started with guerrilla growers who dried outside in the elements. It would help keep light off buds and protect from wind. This is second hand info but seems logical. Not much to "protect" trich's from in a controlled environment.

Ok guys thanks. Will think a little more and research. Thanks again :aok:

the idea to hang upside down is an old tale imo, i guess they use to think some goodness would run down to the bud by gravity, i think most realize this is not true, i believe we hang upside down just because of the convience. jmo

I trim off the biggun leaves and leave the sugar to dry w/ the rest, then trim. I smoked some scissor hash last night (Jack47 strain) and i was way nicely buzzed...lol. That's how I roll. dif strokes for dif polks, lol

7ge:)

Yeah, we just torched some PE finger hash, gotta love it!!! Your last little bit there says it all...no one way is wrong (unless maybe you use a tree shredder lol), do what is best for you!

Latest posts

Back