dual rubbermaid setup possible???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperNoob

Reaction score
I'd like to make a setup with extra large rubbermaids and the chicken wire to control height. I was planing on using one tub like \__/ with the plant in it and the other as a cap /--\ and the chicken wire going in between the two tubs. the light was going to come from a fluorescent plant grow light stuck to the top of the top tub. and i would cut out holes for a couple of computer fans in the sides. i'm not sure how hot this lamp gets so maybe i will hang the lamp above the tub with some foil acting as a light director and a bufferzone from the plastic. i have one concern about this, the pot cannot be as deep as a 5 gal bucket, but can be a very wide tray. will this set-up work?

SuberNoob

Im guessing that the height would be between 24-36 inches. Take in account lost space like light fixtures and potting, you will have no space. And even if you did this, how would you see if the hanging floro's are at the proper height with the top on. As for the the potting container, a wide tray would be a cool experiment. Look at hydroponics, just a flat root ball. Just remember that roots dont like light. Good Luck

SuperNoob said:
I'd like to make a setup with extra large rubbermaids and the chicken wire to control height. will this set-up work?

SuberNoob

No, it won't unless you're growing parsley. To grow weed, you have to allow enough height for the plant to grow within reason.

If you're growing anything except a lowryder, you'll need much more room for them.

It would be nice if we could have "mini" grows, but pot doesn't work that way. As the other answer you got says, you have lights, container height, and the mandatory distance between lights and canopy to allow.

Good luck to you man!

It can be done. 36" ht. restriction. No Problem. I can do it with a 250W HPS. But it ain't easy!!!!!

You need to train the plant to grow sideways. You'll have it in a 5 gallon bucket before flower outside of the rubbermaid. you train it along the screen through a hole in the side of the rubbermaid.
Let it veg in the box then when it tall enough bend it thourgh the side.
I've seen tons of these sideway grows online. Excellent for florou grows.

thanks for the help. I'm not sure this will work well for me. I'm off to rethink my plan. i was going to use my attic, but this would be too hot. then i thought about the crawl space, but that might not be tall enough. I might be able to do something in my basement. how cool can you allow the plant area to be? i'm mine is around 65 degrees in the summer and maybe <60 in the winter.

It is much easier and cheaper to heat an area than to cool. (ie. air conditioned). Remember that your lights will only add heat and the circulation fans will only push it around. Regardless where decide to set it up, you will need an exhaust and intake. Setting up a grow area in your basement would provide a perfect growing temp---> 65% + lights = 75%, and in the winter maybe a quality space heater routed into your intake. Obviously you want stealth, have you considered building or purchasing a cabinit and placing it in your basement?

Is your basement very humid? Dont want that. And do you have access to electrical sockets and small opening to run your filtered exhaust outside?

Latest posts

Back