DWC v RDWC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have done both a few years ago and it worked awsome no im just doing dirt for the first time

i too am growing in soil fir the first time, im going to bulid my own dwc for my next grow, the "rdwc" looks to me like it would not airate the water well enough but thats just me i may be wrong

mobdaily said:
i too am growing in soil fir the first time, im going to bulid my own dwc for my next grow, the "rdwc" looks to me like it would not airate the water well enough but thats just me i may be wrong

I don't think you are wrong--that's what it looks like to me, also. Get that DWC ready for your next grow, you will be amazed :hubba:.

i have now bought a 2 bucket DWC and i can say how very impressed i am....the airpump is super quite (i got me a twin outlet pump :) ) and airstones,these must be great for cleaning up and everything..no BIG baths too clean out yippeeeee....thanks guys....now i guess the serious questions will start once i get my blueberry clones :)

also bought a 12 pod propagator aeropod for the clones :)

The Hemp Goddess said:
I don't think you are wrong--that's what it looks like to me, also. Get that DWC ready for your next grow, you will be amazed :hubba:.

i hope so i cant wait

The Hemp Goddess said:

I know I was!! Check out my first DWC journal. DWC rocks and is easy.

How do you gather that? Have you heard a airpump? They are SUPER quiet. DWC is the easiest thing ever. I don't like the idea of a water pump trying to provide air by water dripping back down. If it poured back down into the bucket then perhaps... but this would be very loud.

BUDISGUD said:
their are more disadvantages with the DWC than RDWC as it states,such as more airpumps,noise etc...so not exactly a gimmick, RDWC does have a little bit more going for it.

KADE said:
How do you gather that? Have you heard a airpump? They are SUPER quiet. DWC is the easiest thing ever. I don't like the idea of a water pump trying to provide air by water dripping back down. If it poured back down into the bucket then perhaps... but this would be very loud.
read my last post :)

I have used a system similar to this in the past which i built myself. It uses a fitting at the output of the water pump to pull air (through venturi action)throught a hose with a float on end so it sits above the water, this air is then mixed into the nutes which are then flooded over the roots.

A couple problems exist with the design I see in the link. 1) the spray nozzle can become clogged over time. Ditch it. run 1/2 inch flex hose directly into the side of the net basket. 2) reduce the amount of water by 1/2. By doing this you will be leaving the roots hanging in the air where they have access to more oxygen, also the solution pouring over them is highly oxygenated.

This is essentially a self contained NFT system. Only drawback is you need a water pump for each plant. Good thing I have plenty lying around.:D

Hey guys. I'm a pretty experienced dwc grower and must say that my only problem is how loud the airpumps are and I have some that are among the quietest on the market. For this reason RDWC interests me. I don't see it being significantly quiter since you will need one per bucket. Unless you are running only one. Which LOL I am not. Dwc is the most efficient and all around the best method I have used or observed. My buckets are connected like a water farm with a pump in the last bucket in the line pumping a slow steady stream back to my controller bucket. Man this is easy. Buckets stay stirred up so I'm not removing water only adding being mindful a little closer of my ppm and ph. That's what works for me. Good luck and it's a pain to type this stoned on an iPhone.

stunzeed said:
Hey guys. I'm a pretty experienced dwc grower and must say that my only problem is how loud the airpumps are and I have some that are among the quietest on the market. For this reason RDWC interests me. I don't see it being significantly quiter since you will need one per bucket. Unless you are running only one. Which LOL I am not. Dwc is the most efficient and all around the best method I have used or observed. My buckets are connected like a water farm with a pump in the last bucket in the line pumping a slow steady stream back to my controller bucket. Man this is easy. Buckets stay stirred up so I'm not removing water only adding being mindful a little closer of my ppm and ph. That's what works for me. Good luck and it's a pain to type this stoned on an iPhone.

hey i was thinking of setting up a 10 bucket dwc system thats connected with a controller bucket but i never heard of using a pump in the last bucket. what kind of pump and how exactly does it work? could you explain it in more detail please?

I have a res bucket hooked up to my controller bucket. Those are connected together with 1/2 inch hose and the last bucket in line gets a pump. A simple pump that can pump water through half inch hose connected to a twist valve thing (to control the speed of the water) and slowly pump the water back to your controller bucket. Gravity will make sure you don't overflow as long as your valve is going slow. This keeps the water constantly circulating through your buckets. Sorry if my spelling is off but I'm responding on my phone.

Stunzeed..

Doesnt that defeat the pupose of the DWC. To feed one plant at a time it's own PPM? With that type DWC,,one mistake can kill them all,right. I personally dont know,,just going by what Ive read so far,,and thats a freaken lot.:D Dont get mad,,just curious about what happens to the paticular needs of each plant and strain when your using one rez.

i agree cowboy.i have yet to start beans that the plants all pop at the same time and grow at the same rate.its just common sense to me,that each plant,by its personal growth rate,needs individual nute needs.its really simple to me.

doesnt each STRAIN grow by particular ppms and not each plant??????

tchashow said:
doesnt each STRAIN grow by particular ppms and not each plant??????

Has to do with age also. And what if you want to stagger grows?;)

but i dont wanna stagger grows. i understand what you are getting at tho but i read about a guy who grew this way and he said he had no problems. he just grew different strains in different connected bubbler systems.

Hey guys! I too am going with the dwc, using the Prepara power plant, a fairly new to the market, aeroponic window grower, for my dwarf mix of the autoflowering lowryder.
This is my first grow ever, and I am so excited, my plants have grown almost an inch since yesterday, this autoflowing is fun, kinda like the sea monkey's!!:ignore:.
Anyways any tip or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

I think rdwc simply makes it easier to take measurements, instead of using a single dwc bucket. I scrog 2 plants each in its own bucket, but each having undercurrent into its own control bucket. all buckets get airstones. each rez has a pump that pumps water to the top of the plants bucket. basically 4 buckets, 2 rez and 2 plants with hydroton. I never have to lift any lids ever till harvest. when I first began dwc I failed due to ignorance. was used to coco or enf. coco seems to be about roots filling smartpots and uppotting correctly, and proper drip times, and frequency. took some practice, failings. but I learned. both coco and dwc seemed to fail cuz I was overwatering. same with cloning. when I learned this my grows work no matter what method I do. stop overwatering!!!!!!

This is an old thread but certainly worth revisiting. I agree personally about RDWC over DWC for those very reasons. check out my journals. Top-feed-RDWC for the last 5-6 years now I think. I also use coco in smartpot bags within my system, works beautifully.

However, I have to disagree with you somewhat on the overwatering. In hydro, as long as the water temps are correct and it is well aerated, you can leave the plants roots totally submerged in solution. I used to have pics from a buddy of mine who ran his top-feed-RDWC constantly feeding. he had water half an inch deep on top of the pots that the plants were in. They went to the finish multiple times without issue (as long as he kept his temps and pH correct).

Cloning can also be done completely submerged or with little moisture, depending on the method you choose. The water/moisture levels are just one set of variables that control the health of your plants/clones/seedlings. There are many variables that must be considered and balanced while allowing for the dynamic movements of all of the variables in the day to day life.

From the sound of it, you got all of your variables worked out and dialed in for success :)

Latest posts

Back