Dying leaves (bottom)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

420 4 ever

I have a three week old plant growing in soil. I haven't started fertilizing it yet, it sits two inches away from 160 watts of fleurescent lights in a small closed up closet that measures 2x2x6 feet, the Ph level is at 6.5, the temperature and humidity is good and it sits in a three gallon pot. The more my plant grows the more leaves that start dying from the bottom going up, they're dark and starting to curl. Could this be because I haven't started to give it fertilizer and if not what else could it be?

1. what kind of soil. pre-fert (like Miracle Grow soil, or just plain unferted soil)

2. which way are they curling up or down? (beleive it or not it matters).

3. can you get some pics up?

If no pre-fert soil its ready to fert after three weeks.

Mutt said:
1. what kind of soil. pre-fert (like Miracle Grow soil, or just plain unferted soil)

2. which way are they curling up or down? (beleive it or not it matters).

3. can you get some pics up?

If no pre-fert soil its ready to fert after three weeks.

1.pro-mix...(pre-fert)
2.curling down.

i got my hands on some 24-8-16 fert n-e good for veg stage??

really need pics, but I will try at this one. but pics would help very much. I am shootin in the dark with this one.

I looked up pro-mix and it didn't say if it was pre-fert or not. Did this problem just pop up in the past week?

If it did. then it sounds like an nitrogen deficiency so yeah, add the fert at 1/2 strength. then work-up from there. it is high in nitrogen which is good for veg. IMHO

Leaves curling down. that is what is throwing me a little. how often are you watering?

Mutt said:
really need pics, but I will try at this one. but pics would help very much. I am shootin in the dark with this one.

I looked up pro-mix and it didn't say if it was pre-fert or not. Did this problem just pop up in the past week?

If it did. then it sounds like an nitrogen deficiency so yeah, add the fert at 1/2 strength. then work-up from there. it is high in nitrogen which is good for veg. IMHO

Leaves curling down. that is what is throwing me a little. how often are you watering?
1.yeah it started about three days ago
2.watering daily

my fertilizer is 24-8-16, i know the 24 & the 8 is ok but is the 16 too high.....thx for the help mutt! much appreciated

because of no pics, that is why I said to use half strength at first. If you see improvement, then you know it was a deficiency. Without pics its really hard for me to tell. but no pre-fert soil and lower leaves dying really sounds like a nUt def. I would fert. esp. after 3 weeks.
That fert is better than no fert. your plant may be starving to death. IMO.
I usually wait until 1 1/2 weeks then start the half strength. by week 3 I'm up to the manuf. recommendations.

thanks again i'll jump right on it & will keep ya posted.

I just noticed affter re-reading. if you water once every day. that is too much. this will cause leaf drooping. This is lack of oxygen to the roots, which could kill the roots and cause root rot. always put your finger in the soil about 2-3 inches. If it is dry then water. Its always easy to correct underwatering (add more water). overwatering is more difficult.

But I still stick to my orig. statment its ready for 1/2 strength. just watch the overwatering. That is the #1 pitfall of all first time growers. The "Am I taking care of her" syndrome.

The reason I water it everyday is because I have a moisture meter, and when I check the moisture it tells me it's dry so I water it. How much water(ml-ltr) would you recommend for a 10" round in diameter (2 gallon pot)?

hey 420 i wouldnt rely on a moisture meter . you shouldnt have to water everyday because marijuana likes a little drought here and there . you will probably be better off to think of it this way the more water you give it the less oxygen your roots will have instead of more water faster plant grows . atleast that is how i used to think of it . but over all i believe mutt is probably right too much water and not enough nitrogen. and as far as how much water is given to your plant all depends on the size of your plant without pictures or telling us the size of your plant i cannot answer that question . i can tell you dont give a 6 inch plant a gallon of water . and also at the beggining of your thread you stated you are using a 3 gallon container and now its a 2 gallon you have to be precise in order for someone to help you . i will tell you this for an exaple of my waterings. when my plants were aprx. 3 weeks old they were about 10 inches tall i would water them about a 20 oz. bottle of water every 2 days then add same amount of water 2 days after with ferts added . then as plants gets taller add with your own judgement . i have a plant now that is very large and is in its 5th week of flowering and it gets about a gallon of water evry other day . well i hope that helps some .

skunk said:
hey 420 i wouldnt rely on a moisture meter . you shouldnt have to water everyday because marijuana likes a little drought here and there . you will probably be better off to think of it this way the more water you give it the less oxygen your roots will have instead of more water faster plant grows . atleast that is how i used to think of it . but over all i believe mutt is probably right too much water and not enough nitrogen. and as far as how much water is given to your plant all depends on the size of your plant without pictures or telling us the size of your plant i cannot answer that question . i can tell you dont give a 6 inch plant a gallon of water . and also at the beggining of your thread you stated you are using a 3 gallon container and now its a 2 gallon you have to be precise in order for someone to help you . i will tell you this for an exaple of my waterings. when my plants were aprx. 3 weeks old they were about 10 inches tall i would water them about a 20 oz. bottle of water every 2 days then add same amount of water 2 days after with ferts added . then as plants gets taller add with your own judgement . i have a plant now that is very large and is in its 5th week of flowering and it gets about a gallon of water evry other day . well i hope that helps some .
thanks alot for the info skunk really appriciated, my plant is 3 1/2 weeks old in a 2 GALLON POT.

your welcome 420. ps i would also go ahead and retransplant into a 5 to 7 gallon bucket before you decide to flower. if not you probably wont have a very large harvest with a 2 gallon container i think the size of your container is equivalant to 2 foot in height on your plant 1foot of height per gallon im almost positive on that but just in case i got friends watching my back for mistakes lol.

ps there is also many more factors on waterings like soil type , perlite /vermiculite mix tempeture ect. i was just giving you an example of my waterings and you cannot go by that i have a 1500 watt heater on my pots not plants it will burn plants on my pots on escalate to keep roots warm and it causes it to dry out faster in you case if in a house heated at 70 degrees it may not even need water for a week so just do the finger job like mutt said to do that away you shouldnt have to worry about over waterings nomore .

skunk said:
1foot of height per gallon im almost positive on that but just in case i got friends watching my back for mistakes lol.

Hey 420 4 ever listen to this dude. He is dead nut accurate. (damn skunk never thought of going to a 7 gallon. May have to see if that will help my next harvest out a little. Thanks.)

your welcome 420. ps i would also go ahead and retransplant into a 5 to 7 gallon bucket before you decide to flower. if not you probably wont have a very large harvest with a 2 gallon container i think the size of your container is equivalant to 2 foot in height on your plant 1foot of height per gallon im almost positive on that but just in case i got friends watching my back for mistakes lol.

hey skunk. I agree that a 5 gallon container would be much better. however, ive done a lotta research lately (cuz im on my first grow) and ive read that its about 2 feet for every gallon. So if you have a 2 gallon container, u can grow about 4 feet. I think ive read this in a couple places. I could be wrong but im pretty sure. just thought id throw that in

This is from: http://www.buydutchseeds.com/growingguide.php

"Plant size in soil is directly related to pot size. If you want the plant to grow bigger, put it in a bigger pot. Usually, 1/2 gallon per foot of plant is sufficient. A six foot plant would require a minimum of a 3 gallon pot. Remember, square containers have more volume in a square space (like a closet)."

I found this after a short search. however, other sites agree with the rule: one foot per one gallon. Anyone know for sure? (im using 2 gallon by the way so it kinda affects me :confused: )

but with the link you just gave. It is advice given from a seed breeder. If you plant is stunted in growth your yield will be down. So you will have to order more seeds. Just my thought on that one.

Check out Skunks grow. I think what he did will prove it to ya. His grow is perfect. make note of his pot sizes in comparicon to the size of the plant.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1721

alright i know wut ur sayin mutt. I dont think i really have the room for 5 gallon containers. Plus im using smaller strains: NL5 and WW. They r usually 3-4 feet. Im also planning on topping twice, but im guessing that doesnt really matter cuz the roots r gonna need to have the same amount of room for a topped or untopped plant (i dunno).

tmj havent been in for a day or 2 and i am not clicking on the link that im sure i clicked on 50 or more times before . but i will tell you this much rootbound is a case where roots are intertwined packed in and nowhere to run packed down like a rock in some cases . marijuana in my exsperience (grown outdoors in its natural state) roots exspand just as much wide as it does deep. do you know why that is? i will tell you .the roots that spread out wide are there so it can get the oxygen needed. the ones that grow deep are responsible for collecting minerals deeps below the surface and also support for when it is time to flower. now you can however keep them in your 2 gallon container if you want to but you may have alot more problems in future . i can almost guarantee you that like 420 is already having. MUTT i know it is a pain in the ass to keep trans planting i just transplant 3 in flowering last week i hated to do it but i leave them in the 3 gallon containers till there ready to distinguish m/f then been using what 7 gallons container i do have i wished i had 1 for my big one which is in a 5 g . but its probably too late its 8th week will be up on the 12 th of march. but anyway i guess someone knows why its better to grow in square container now .

skunk. look at me edit below. sorry you misunderstood me.

Latest posts

Back