ebb and flow, root growth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flutefixer

Reaction score
my plants have been in the 12/12 ebb and flow for 7 days now, they are in 8 inch pots, I started the seedlings in rockwool and transplanted the rockwool cube to hydroton than put that into an 8inch pot,I am getting some root growth comming out of the pots now,am not sure what to do ????should I let them grow and lay exposed in the tray, or should I get some rockwool slabs and set the pots on that, somebody once said I could cut the exposed roots but this sound a bit extreme to me? any ideas. thanks

Ideally, your entire net pot should be buried. Some pics of your system would help.

Here's what I use; my clones are put into 1 inch net pots of hydroton and rooted. When they've rooted, I put them so that the TOP of the net pot is 2" BELOW the surface of my tub of hydroton.

That way, the roots can grow 360 degrees as fast as they can and no light hits any of the roots.

You need to modify your system so that the roots are in some sort of media and hidden completely from light.

My first grow I had the same problem. I fixed it by putting the eight inch pots in one gallon pots with perlite. I put landscape fabric in the bottom of the one gallon pots so the perlite would'nt wash out, then put in enough perlite to bring the rim of the eight inch about an inch below the one gallon pot, then fill in around it with more perlite. As long as your holding tray fills to within 2/3 - 3/4 the hieght of the one gallon pots this should solve your problem, it worked fine for me.
Best of luck and take care.

does this mean your tub is filled with hydroton? I have a 3 x6 table, is it a viable option to fill it with hydroton?seams like ALOT of hydroton,perhaps I misunderstood?

Barbapopa said:
I would put slabs underneath your pots, they still have a lot more growing to do if you are only into week 1 of flower.
this is exactly what I was thinking.

Why no rockwool cubes?

OriginalGrower said:
this is exactly what I was thinking.

Why no rockwool cubes?

Some folks believe that the rockwool holds too much moisture which would deprive the roots of oxygen but alot of people do it successfully. Obviously you wouldn't need to flood nearly as often with more rockwool...GL

flutefixer said:
does this mean your tub is filled with hydroton? I have a 3 x6 table, is it a viable option to fill it with hydroton?seams like ALOT of hydroton,perhaps I misunderstood?
Yes, you fill the entire table with hydroton. It isn't really "a lot", it's just what is needed. The hydroton should be two inches ABOVE the level of the highest water mark. This prevents light from reaching the root system or nutrient solution.

The root system needs to be completely under the surface. Rockwool cubes work great with drip systems IF the drip is adjusted to NOT cause over wetness and root rot.

In an ebb and flow system, it's better to root the plants in 1.5" rockwool and as soon as the roots start showing on the outside of the cube, bury the cube in hydroton and start your ebb and flow.

The cubes should be buried so that the TOP of the rockwool cube is 2 inches below the surface of the hydroton.

I understand that hydroton is expensive. If that is something that stops you from using it, then some other form of growing might be best for you.

Dirt grows are much less costly. Ebb and Flow is probably the most expensive manner of growing there is, initially, but it does pay off with accelerated growth.

TURKEYNECK said:
Some folks believe that the rockwool holds too much moisture which would deprive the roots of oxygen but a lot of people do it successfully. Obviously you wouldn't need to flood nearly as often with more rockwool...GL
Hey TN, you're right on with that info. If rockwool is used as the entire media, with the entire root system inside it for the entire grow in an ebb and flow system, it would be much too wet unless that was compensated for with frequent fills using nutrient solution that was extremely well aerated.

It's much easier and results in faster growth to use hydroton with 1.5" starter cubes of rockwool. The root aeration is much better and results in much better over-all growth and less problems.

I have since taken Cubby`s suggestion,, I will fill the tray with hydroton and follow stoney buds advice also,I am ok with the cost ,it is the washing of the hydroton I am oposed to!!! (lazy) I am going to build some (removeable)shelves for a 50 gal drum I have with a spicket in the bottom, than I will fill the "shelves" with hydroton, turn the hose on and hopefully it will be easier than the 5 gal bucket I am currently using, does anyone re use the hydroton,(my laziness is apparant) I think I would rather dispose of the old and use new, once I figure out an easy way to rinse the hydroton,I totally appreciate the advise and encouragement found here, thanks..

i take clones in 1.5" rockwool cubes, when the clones are rooted i put them into 4" cubes and leave them to veg, when i put them in flower i fill the tray with hydroton and bury the cubes, my tray holds about 50 litres of hydroton, that costs about £15 and i can use the hydroton 3 times with minimal cleaning in between with no problems

stonegroove said:
i take clones in 1.5" rockwool cubes, when the clones are rooted i put them into 4" cubes and leave them to veg, when i put them in flower i fill the tray with hydroton and bury the cubes, my tray holds about 50 litres of hydroton, that costs about £15 and i can use the hydroton 3 times with minimal cleaning in between with no problems
Interesting method you have, stonegroove. I use the same grow chambers for both vegetative growth and flowering, so my plants never have to be moved. I just put the 1.5" directly into the hydroton.

flutefixer said:
I have since taken Cubby`s suggestion,, I will fill the tray with hydroton and follow stoney buds advice also,I am ok with the cost ,it is the washing of the hydroton I am oposed to!!! (lazy) I am going to build some (removeable)shelves for a 50 gal drum I have with a spicket in the bottom, than I will fill the "shelves" with hydroton, turn the hose on and hopefully it will be easier than the 5 gal bucket I am currently using, does anyone re use the hydroton,(my laziness is apparant) I think I would rather dispose of the old and use new, once I figure out an easy way to rinse the hydroton,I totally appreciate the advise and encouragement found here, thanks..

cleaning hydroton is a never ending process i have 18 2.5 gallon pots and once a week i clean the insides. If hydroton is not for you i would suggest lava rocks. i have had friends use this stuff as apposed to hydroton with great results.

StoneyBud said:
It's much easier and results in faster growth to use hydroton with 1.5" starter cubes of rockwool. The root aeration is much better and results in much better over-all growth and less problems.

stoneybud, do the roots get sucked into the fittings on the drain cycle? I had my plants in pots with coco and when the roots grew out of the bottom of the pot they got sucked into the fittings, it didnt cause a prob i was just curios about your method.

smoky anda bandit said:
stoneybud, do the roots get sucked into the fittings on the drain cycle? I had my plants in pots with coco and when the roots grew out of the bottom of the pot they got sucked into the fittings, it didnt cause a prob i was just curios about your method.
Hey smoky, I use oversized fill and drain fittings with 1" inside diameters for that very reason. The few roots that do happen to find their way to the drain don't matter much. In all the crops I've done, I've only had a couple have a minor amount of roots in the drain and never any in the fill line. The 1" lines also make it so that there is no pressure in either line, ever. It's a simple gravity flow in a partially filled line.

if hydroton is to pricey for you. you could alway use Lava rock from a garden supply center it's cheap it holds a lot of water very porous and doesn't need to be watered that often. I would suggest if you chose to,use it is to wash it good to get any dirt out of it. I have been using it for a long time and I love it and so do the plants . and it was made in hell . don't get no hotter there! most of all it's cheap 23.00 bucks a cubic yard. I have 2 complete ebb and flow systems. one 24 site and one 12 site. most of all most garden centers carry it . good luck and enjoy Viper1951

viper1951 said:
if hydroton is to pricey for you. you could always use Lava rock from a garden supply center it's cheap it holds a lot of water very porous and doesn't need to be watered that often.
Hey viper, you're right as can be. Lava works great! Years ago, when I was first using hydroponic gardening, I used lava rock. It was the best that existed at that time. Man oh Man, was it expensive then! :shocked:

I don't remember what I paid for it 28 years ago, but I remember thinking I was glad I didn't have to buy it more than once. Kinda like Hydroton now.

Now, it's the least expensive of the two "rock" for hydro.

It does work great too. I think it works just as good as hydroton, but isn't as easy to handle.

I have a big metal tub that I jack up on cinder-block over a propane burner and I fill it with either hydroton or lava when I need to clean and sterilized it. I fill it with water and boil it good. All the junk comes to the top and can be skimmed off and when you're done, it's as clean as it can ever get.

It costs me about $10 to clean the entire batch I have.

good stuff for sure it really holds the water and nutes . I think it does a better job on holding water then hydroton does but thats just my opinion I know I don't have to water as often. which means less time the pumps are on. less wear on the pumps which means cheaper over all costs to grow a crop .Lava rock has so many cavities and is so porous, sharp which will cut roots so that they double up every time a root gets cuts it forms a y and you get 2 new ones I now have the best root systems I have ever had . no complaints here good stuff for sure Viper1951

Latest posts

Back