Effect of shade color on outdoor grown cannabis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carpas48

Reaction score
I am going to use an old blue nylon spinnaker as a shade cloth for my plants. Does anyone know if the color blue filtering through the sail have any effect on flower development. I understand that the season moves to Fall, the light color shifts to more red which is a signal to the plant to focus on flowering.
Conversely, if I had a red shade cloth, would that have any effect.
I can pretty much keep them all under shade trees but as the heat/light is getting more intense, it don't want them to suffer & also keep roots as cool as possible.

Why shade your marijuana plants?
I live in Texas where the temps are over 100f everyday and my girls love full sun. We have been at 107 several times and even higher.
My tomato plants need shade to produce fruit when it's that hot but not my weed,,,,and neither do yours. The more sun the better my friend. Marijuana loves full sun. Who told you they need some shade?

Last edited:
IMG_20220803_184159292_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220803_184126453_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220803_184118084_HDR.jpg

Those girls are very healthy. You should see Bigsurs monsters he grows outside in Full Sun.
The plants around my girls are African Giant Marigolds. Bugs hate marigolds so I grow them all around my plants. I have no bugs what so ever. Not even a white fly or grasshopper.

The month just ended was the second hottest July on record, exceeded only by the brutal summer of 1980 when all 31 days of July reached a temperature of 100 degrees or higher. July 2022 had 27 days of 100 degrees or more and an average temperature for the month of 91.8. The July average in 1980 was 92 degrees. We’ve had a total of 36 hundred-degree days so far this summer. The total in 1980 was 69 – second all time to 2011, when there were 71 days with the mercury hitting 100 degrees or more.

Marijuana loves full sun and can handle extreme heat because there is plenty CO2 outside. Just make sure you water your girls and they will be fine.

maybe he is using shade cloth to,protect his plants from hail or maybe trying to hide them from snoopy neighbors?

but yeah , full sun , all……day…….long

Why shade your marijuana plants?
I live in Texas where the temps are over 100f everyday and my girls love full sun. We have been at 107 several times and even higher.
My tomato plants need shade to produce fruit when it's that hot but not my weed,,,,and neither do yours. The more sun the better my friend. Marijuana loves full sun. Who told you they need some shade?
I need shade when I tend to them; I'm a California pantywaist! Was also wondering if intense sunlight would negatively affect trichomes as in cooking the resins.

You are over thinking my friend. I do agree with working in the hot sun. I can't take it the way I used to. I try and work early in the morning or after the sun goes down. If I have to work in the sun I try and wait for the clouds to move in.

My peppers, cukes and squash wilts of a really hot day. But my maters love the sun. i assume marijuana is the same but I have never grown outdoors.

Marijuana loves full sun. It damn sure can't be hotter in California than it is it Texas.
Tend to your girls early in the morning and late in the afternoon.
My girls do not droop unless they are thirsty.
But to each his own. You do you. It's your plants.

You are over thinking my friend. I do agree with working in the hot sun. I can't take it the way I used to. I try and work early in the morning or after the sun goes down. If I have to work in the sun I try and wait for the clouds to move in.

My peppers, cukes and squash wilts of a really hot day. But my maters love the sun. i assume marijuana is the same but I have never grown outdoors.
I was just curious. Especially about using red shade to affect the color shift as one does by turning on red lights to indoor grow for the flowering period.

Latest posts

Back