Electric Bill

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've grown in 4 different states and each has cost me from $35-$45 a month per 1000 watt...

You got budget plan variance adjusted... heh...

Old_SSSC_Guy said:
I've grown in 4 different states...

Me too!

States I've grown in:

1. When I'm high

2. When I'm not high

3. When I'm drunk.

4. when I'm not drunk.

What?.....

Wait......

Oh....hehe :doh:

Definately agree with Stony. those little meters are handy as hell all around the house, especially in the grow. the 'deluxe' Kill-A-Watt now includes a timer too. they are slick...

only problem with them is they don't make a 220v model.

StoneyBud said:
For those of you that really want to know what each device you have is costing you per/month on your electric bill, you might consider buying a "Kill-A-Watt" Meter.

$20.28 at Home Depot
homedepot.com/buy/electrical/electrical-tools-accessories/kill-a-watt-83064.html

It will allow you to track EXACTLY what each of your devices costs you.

For example, I just hooked it up to my two 430 watt HPS lights in my flowering room. Each 12 hours, it tells me to the decimal point how much electricity was used and to the minute, how much time was involved.

By doing a bit of math, I've found that those two 430 watt HPS cost me $1.30 for each day they are on for 12 hours.

That meter is worth its weight in gold, in peace of mind.

Plus, its just fun to play with...hehe :hubba:

The way I calculate my REAL electric bill costs per/kwh is to use the entire amount of the bill, including taxes for this, taxes for that, this charge, that charge.....it's all part of your bill.

The supposed kwh rating is nonsense after you add all that other stuff.

It knocks mine from ten cents per/kwh, all the way to 13 cents.

I use the past years costs to determine the total and then divide by the number of months for a one month average. For me, that average is 13 cents per/kilowatt.

Get that meter! It's priced great and is one hell of a tool!

Plug and Play!

Old_SSSC_Guy said:
you forgot:

5. When I'm sleeping

6. When I'm awake

Oh hell! I've been in those states too!

But, but, but....they're inclusive within the first four....hehe :D

Old_SSSC_Guy said:
they don't make a 220v model.

They do now...

amazon.co.uk/Plug-In-Power-and-Energy-Monitor/dp/B000Q7PJGW/

220vKill-A-Watt-Meter.jpg

THANKS STONEY!!! i've wanted one of those suckers in 220v for years... i wanna take one apart and mount it in a room control system. it seems to have a non-standard plug type than what's used in the USA, but adaptable.

i genuflect in Stoney's general direction.

well, scratch that. they want about $50 US to ship it...

sigh. i feel so denied...

If you are in California, you have the "drought Surcharges". More you use the more you pay. They came about because of lack of rain. This year was abundant rain, and I highly doubt they just go away, taxes never just go away. I pay $60 for the electrics and $20 for the surcharges. Racket if I ever saw one.

I hope you didn't faint when you opened that bill Rose.

Old_SSSC_Guy said:
well, scratch that. they want about $50 US to ship it...

sigh. i feel so denied...

You could take a 110v one to an electronics repair place to be converted, but the labor would jack the costs to the same thing anyway.

A few resistors and a low profile socket conversion...if you're into electronics...

If not, I'd not mess with it.

If things EVER slow down for me, I might get one and convert it for fun. If I do, I'll post the procedure with pics.

Meco Power guard is a new product out. It supposedly does the same thing as the Kill-A-Volt, but at 220v.

I couldn't find anyone who lists it yet...

Edit: And another product that measures the entire house at once. This could be refined by noting the current reading and then turning on the device you want to see. Then just calculate the difference.

amazon.com/Blue-Line-Innovations-BLI-24000-PowerCost/dp/B000RBEGTS

Rosebud said:
You would be lucky to have either one of us for neighbors, I think. Whenever I mention Oso to my family, they are pretty sure he is a serial killer, but I vouch for him. He's my friend.

Are you in eastern Wa RS?
Yes I do, more or less Central

lol 200 or so is my tv, computers, security, welder, fridge, a/c.....

so 2400 a year is expected minimum.
my parents home used 600 a month when my father was alive. temps at 70 year round

i know mine has gone up 50+$ in the last month also :mad:

you guys are scaring me with these huge freakin #'s

I live in a small 2 bedroom apt, and with 1K of lights, 6 bulb T-5, a few fans including a 6" inline, the a/c and heat for the living room...I'm only running at $80 max...average is $65 :eek:

OGKushman said:
lol 200 or so is my tv, computers, security, welder, fridge, a/c.....

so 2400 a year is expected minimum.
my parents home used 600 a month when my father was alive. temps at 70 year round

i know mine has gone up 50+$ in the last month also :mad:

I hear ya man. The A/C is the big one for me. In the hot months that I have the A/C on 24/7, my bill shoots up to about $300 per/mo with everything else added.

this is a good reason to grow outdoors in the summer if your able. cut that light bill in half. i know some cant swing it because of location. another suggestion, grow more in winter to last entire summer. :hubba: thats what we do, then a few outdoors is a bonus if they make it to harvest.

i hear some throwing out figures of .10 cents a kwh? whatttt! i'm getting robbed badly then. ours is .58 cents a kwh.:eek: and i'm very close to a nuclear power plant.:eek:

my bill is so strange too. it is divided into quarters. four of them. so each week the power usage is set at a different price??? i've always thought it was very strange. .58 is as high as it is in one quarter. (week).:doh:

does anyone else get charged for electric use this way??? i'm baffled...

Irish said:
this is a good reason to grow outdoors in the summer if your able. cut that light bill in half. i know some cant swing it because of location. another suggestion, grow more in winter to last entire summer. :hubba: thats what we do, then a few outdoors is a bonus if they make it to harvest.

i hear some throwing out figures of .10 cents a kwh? whatttt! i'm getting robbed badly then. ours is .58 cents a kwh.:eek: and i'm very close to a nuclear power plant.:eek:

my bill is so strange too. it is divided into quarters. four of them. so each week the power usage is set at a different price??? i've always thought it was very strange. .58 is as high as it is in one quarter. (week).:doh:

does anyone else get charged for electric use this way??? i'm baffled...

No outside growing for this old man. Those days are over! Jeeeez man, you pay .58 per? Holy Crap! I'd have $1,500 power bills!

I think that line from the nuke plant is leakin, man! I always want to divide my electric bill into quarters too.....rip, rip....hehe, but the bastids will still make me pay it!

:yeahthat:

im tier5 just under 20 cents per kw/h

...I have had power bills for over 1400 before. Thanks to San Jose...jerks...

Latest posts

Back