Electrical question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tool46

Reaction score
Im probably way off, but i was just wondering, If on my home breaker box, if i can replace one of the 15 amp breakers with a 20 amp breaker. just by swapping them or do i have to have it rewired for 20 amps? I hope that made sense? Does anyone know i really appreciate any help!

Normally you can. I have 3-30 amp breakers for the wiring/outlets in my room. If not, ask a electrician.. especially since there are very many different breaker boxes made. Any electrician could tell u for free.

for 120v there should only be 1 black wire probably # 14 which is good for 20 amps..you can switch the breaker just by swapping the black (hot feed) to the new breaker, there should also be a white (neutral) and/or green (ground) that attatch to a "neutral terminal" leave it there. you shouldnt have to rewire anything. Just make sure you get the right style breaker for your panel (cutler Hammer...Square D....ect)

When water is involved it is wise to spend the extra few bucks and get a "ground fault" breaker.

Thanks alot guys, now im not so worried.

um, no LoL 14 guage is good till 15 amps. If you put on more, you can have a fire hazzard, and your switches and receptacles can melt or catch on fire. Would I worry about 5 amps running once in a while, no, all day, yes.

WrEkkED said:
um, no LoL 14 guage is good till 15 amps. If you put on more, you can have a fire hazzard, and your switches and receptacles can melt or catch on fire. Would I worry about 5 amps running once in a while, no, all day, yes.

14-2 wire is what is run through everyones home. It is rated for over 30 amps. *** ARE U TALKING ABOUT!?? 20 is the most you'd want... and it is not a problem in any way to run 20 on it.

Unless ur running a washer and dryer on the same one... ur not gonna blow f all.

Zoning laws do change all the time... theoretically a person should check on the wiring law in ur area... but it is pretty much generic when it comes to safety.

KADE said:
14-2 wire is what is run through everyones home. It is rated for over 30 amps. *** ARE U TALKING ABOUT!?? 20 is the most you'd want... and it is not a problem in any way to run 20 on it.

Unless ur running a washer and dryer on the same one... ur not gonna blow f all.

Zoning laws do change all the time... theoretically a person should check on the wiring law in ur area... but it is pretty much generic when it comes to safety.

14 awg is rated for 15 amps for residential wireing per NEC
http://www.ci.watertown.mn.us/docs/electrial_inspection_handout.pdf

Look up NEC 240.3

Growdude said:
14 awg is rated for 15 amps for residential wireing per NEC
http://www.ci.watertown.mn.us/docs/electrial_inspection_handout.pdf

Look up NEC 240.3

Perhaps I shouldn't of said "rated". It didn't sound right for what I wanted to say... i had a big writeup explaining... but i deleted it...

It really comes down to local laws, regulations... and the person plugging things in.

Guarenteed, the plugs would burn out waaaay before the wire ever dreamed of it.

theres a reason for rating rules. no matter of where you are at, 14AWG is rated at 600v 15 amps. TOPS. derated by 80% also.

check out your recepticles, they will even say 125v 15a on them. you can buy 20, but the wire can burn out.

the cross sectional area is not enough and will cause too much resistance=heat=fire possibility.

Let me add this also. And maybe I shouldn't, but it' better to be informed and make your own decision rather than just listen to others tell you what to do.

In the electrical world everyone cheats everything. One instance was just last week. The boss said to run 350 MCM because he had some left over at the shop, but we really needed to run 500MCM. This was running on a ups system. I won't go into what that is, but it runs 24/7 and every computer in this area runs off of it, or at least their pwer is filtered through it. Was it correct? Not by a long shot. Will it set on fire? possibly. Would I be worried about it? No.

But thats a pretty big wire so they can usually handle running at 100% of their load instead of the 80% derating without too much notice.

In this instance, 14 guage is to run at no more than 12 amps derated. 15 is 100% which it is not sopposed to hit. But now you will ask that wire i your house to run 20 amps which is 133% of what it can handle. Likelyhood of a fire is very small. But a possibility. If your house burnt down and the fire inspector saw that, you wouldn't get 1 dime for your house.

So it's up to you wether the risk is worth it or not. In my house, I wouldn't do it.

Good luck whatever you decide!

p.s. Kade, I didn't mean to come across strong or belitteling (sp?) your knowledge. I read my post over agian and that's how it came accross to me, so sorry if i offended you.

hahahahhahahah i agree with Kade i run so much stuff so if wreked would be right i would leave under the bridge for few yers now
hahahahah

brouli said:
hahahahhahahah i agree with Kade i run so much stuff so if wreked would be right i would leave under the bridge for few yers now
hahahahah

Yea but as I say, it's a possibility. Not too likely to happen in the short term. In like 5-10 years, you'd probably notice it more. You'd see things like insulation burning off etc.

Normally, a wire will burn off, short to ground and flip the breaker. Then you turn the breaker back on and it blows again.

So as I said before, you can run 20 amps, I wouldn't suggest it if it can be avoided.

Wrekked i really apriciate advice but i was workin as electricien for few yers i think i stick to ma way but you are right on that i just not going to explaine how stuff work in my House too much info

o yeaaaa but the way you explaning to people its good its safe and thats what matters the most i send you some rep points bro

now much better welcome to the bright side :)

Latest posts

Back