electrical question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
120 volts x 15 amps =1800 watts

Not reccommended to run at 100% load, better 80%

1800 x 80% = 1440 watts

ooooow...I wouldnt stack more then 70% myself...can the breaker be upgraded to a 30amp?

4u2sm0ke said:
ooooow...I wouldnt stack more then 70% myself...can the breaker be upgraded to a 30amp?

Most likely no. Fifteen amp breakers are generally run with 14 gauge wire--a 20 amp breaker requires 12 gauge wire and a 30 amp breaker requires 10 gauge wire. Do not change out a breaker to a larger breaker unless you know for sure what your wire size is and that it will handle the load.

There is no problem with putting an 80% load on a breaker.

:yeahthat: Do not upgrade a breaker it will over load the wires in the wall causing fires.

:doh: I was in another thread mindways...Man I grow good weed..sometimes smoke too much and reply befor really explaining myself....can Yall not read my mind:p...:rofl: I upgraded my sheds 2 15 amps with 30 but I a;lso ran new wire..sorry for the bad post:hitchair: ...im a go in corner now and smoke my bong

The Hemp Goddess said:
Do not change out a breaker to a larger breaker unless you know for sure what your wire size is and that it will handle the load.
Darn it, I'm an electrical engineer, there's finally a thread that I can answer, and I'm late to the party.

The chances are somewhere between zero and none that the wire is big enough for a larger breaker. It makes no sense for the original electrician to spend money for the larger wire and scrimp on a smaller breaker.

As air conditioners in grow rooms all over the nothern hemisphere come to life i can here all the breakers flipping.

Stay safe everyone.

Classic said:
Darn it, I'm an electrical engineer, there's finally a thread that I can answer, and I'm late to the party.

The chances are somewhere between zero and none that the wire is big enough for a larger breaker. It makes no sense for the original electrician to spend money for the larger wire and scrimp on a smaller breaker.

Good post Classic.

Orange- stay safe!

thanks to all for the replies---i believe there are 2 feeds to the location 14-2 for the outlets and 12-2 for the washer dryer---80% of the load is what i read for the breakers---that is 1440 watts for the 15 amp and 1920 watts for the 20 amp---think i am gonna get me one of them there wattage meters to double check the loads---so whats the guesstimate on how much wattage the washer/dryer are pulling---and---why do they get their own 20 amp breaker???---i also thought i read somewhere that it was OK to use a 30 amp breaker on 12-2 wire???

Im not saying anything...Im still working on this bong:p

lets get that engineeeeeer back

orangesunshine said:
thanks to all for the replies---i believe there are 2 feeds to the location 14-2 for the outlets and 12-2 for the washer dryer---80% of the load is what i read for the breakers---that is 1440 watts for the 15 amp and 1920 watts for the 20 amp---think i am gonna get me one of them there wattage meters to double check the loads---so whats the guesstimate on how much wattage the washer/dryer are pulling---and---why do they get their own 20 amp breaker???---i also thought i read somewhere that it was OK to use a 30 amp breaker on 12-2 wire???
:) The washer/dryer are on their own circuit (20amp) because they both use motors that pull a lot of current on initial startup. The dryer should be on its own circuit if its all electric and should be 240v, as it has to power both the motor and the heating elements. Unless it is a very small dryer or a gas dryer, then it only needs the electricity for the motor and controls and uses gas for the heat. for a given circuit though, it doesn't matter what was on it. The main concern for yu using it, is the breaker size and wire guage to determine the most wattage yu can pull, and if anything else is on that circuit. I would check with a hardware store to find out the load max for 12guage wire:)

Haha, same feeling as Classic here. I'm an electrician, and one question I may help with already gets answered. Running at 80% is fine, though steady current pulling that may start to cause your breaker to trip after time. DO NOT CHANGE YOUR BREAKER TO A HIGHER AMPERAGE!!! Aside from the info already said, if your dryer is electric, you most likely have a 240V 30amp circuit for that. Which would be 10awg wiring, that you safely could tap into and run your lighting on (when the dryer is not being used). Without a multi meter to test your actual load it's kind of hard to really say anything definite. Just don't change a breaker and burn your house down please. :aok:

orangesunshine said:
thanks to all for the replies---i believe there are 2 feeds to the location 14-2 for the outlets and 12-2 for the washer dryer---80% of the load is what i read for the breakers---that is 1440 watts for the 15 amp and 1920 watts for the 20 amp---think i am gonna get me one of them there wattage meters to double check the loads---so whats the guesstimate on how much wattage the washer/dryer are pulling---and---why do they get their own 20 amp breaker???---
The easy way is to look at the nameplates on the washer and dryer. Their amp rating should be on the nameplate. Add the amps and 8 amps for the 1000 watt light and see what you get. If it's over 20, it won't work at all. If it's over about 16, you'll eventually get nuisance trips as ston-loc mentioned.

i also thought i read somewhere that it was OK to use a 30 amp breaker on 12-2 wire???
I bet you were at an Arsonist's website somewhere. ;)

thanks to all concerned about the house burning down---so here is where i am at---it seems that i can share 1 light on the 20 amp running the washer/dryer not to trip so long as all 3 appliances are not running at the same time---there are no openings in the panel---but---thinking about swapping the old single 20 amp breaker for a double and a new line---unless someone in the know has another alternative

:) If you are familiar with electrical wiring you could actually just run a new circuit, if there is enough room on the buss bar. (if you don't know what I am talking about:confused: then you shouldn't attempt it) Often in the breaker boxes in residential setups there are extra slots on the buss bar for adding circuits, and all you have to do is break out the metal tab in the cover for the new breaker. Just go buy some new heavy guage wire and run it where you need it and connect it to the circuit breaker and neutral bar and yer set. I actually tied into the 200amp main and ran a special tap to another external breaker box using 1/0 3-wire cable then put in all my breakers and made separate circuits for everything in my grow-lab. but my setup is big and I am an electrical technician, so I knew what to do. What size grow room are yu planning on building? if its not too big, then you can do like I said with installing a new circuit with a new breaker. gotta be careful tho, electricity isn't very forgiving to mistakes.:)

there are no openings on the bus bar---that is why i was thinking that i should buy a split 20/20 circuit breaker and run a new line to share the breaker with the washer/dryer---a sub panel would be awesome---but i have no need for it---seems like my options are pretty limited

I would think the split breaker should work just fine if you can run the wiring out to where yu need it. If yer grow is smallish then I think 20amps should handle it.

Latest posts

Back