Emergency! Strange reaction to smoking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once something like this happens you freak yourself out the other times and make yourself go crazy.Mold can mess you up.

radikk said:
I actually just registered to this website to research if anyone else has experienced this problem. ive done extensive online research. and all i have come up with is panic attacks/anxiety. which is a side affect of marijuana from extensive use. i noticed after a while when i would get really high that i felt sort of floaty. almost disconnected from my body. then one day i smoked a dro blunt before i got a hair cut. and during my hair cut. it hit me. i felt extremely uncomfortable. sweaty palms heart was racing. it was a panic attack. you feel as though you know whats going on. you can still hear and feel and all your senses are fine. just for some odd reason you feel as if you are having an out of body experience. and it is extremely unpleasant. i tried smoking again an couple of days later. and the same thing happened. the only problem now is that i still dont feel as if im 100% normal after having these panic attacks. does anyone else still not feel normal..? or does it go away after a while. because to be quite honest. i am willing to slow down with marijuana. but i would like to smoke on occasion at some point in time. but right now i'm super hesitant to smoke because i feel as if im going to instantly have a panic attack.
Sounds like anti weed propaganda or fear mongering.I have been around the types who as soon as they smoke start saying their heart is beating to fast or they cant breath or even they feel like they are going to swallow their tongue.I can honestly say everytime it was a girl or a pranoid or wimpy type guy who cant handle it.There are somethings worse then Prison Your Mind.It is ALL in your head.

im the exact opposite of a wimpy type guy. but have you heard or known anyway to eliminate this its all in your head thing.

These are the classic symptoms of a panic attack. Sometimes cannabis can cause it, but I'm not sure why if you are such an experienced smoker. Chemical interactions can be quite mysterious sometimes.

bleh.. i havent smoked in like 2 weeks now.. lol i took a hit of dro last night. and my head just started to feel heavy and got sleepy. i just dont seem to get the high im used to getting anymore.

I have had a lot of bad experiences with smoking cannabis and getting very panic and breathless almost passing out a few times,once i even went to the emergency room and told them that i smoked a joint and feel very sick,doctor asked me what i used,and i told him only a few tokes of a joint,my simptoms were,rapid heart beats,depersonalization,panic,hiperventilation,muscluar spasms...it felt like it was very very cold and I am sitting naked outside,my jaw was vibrating so much that i couldnt even talk normally!Doctor gave me somekind of vitamin/diazepam bomb,it settled me back to being relaxed but all my symptoms passed about one hour later...after that time things have never been the same for me,I tryed smoking after that but it lasted only a few days and then it would eventually gotten back to the panic and other symptoms everytime i smoked and then i stoped smoking for a few years,in those few years I had more of those episodes,onetime i even got struck on my brothers birthday when we were out celebrating i got admited to the hospital center and stayed for 3 days on observation.they let me go and wrote that i had an acute alchocol poisoning,i mean i only like drinked a little bit of beer,they found only like 0.05% of alcochol in my blood and i assure you it didnt had anything to do with my true problem...after a few years I was diagnosed with social phobia,and panic attack,or how do you call it anxiety attacks,they all occured later after i stoped smoking weed and slowly devouring my confidence and calmness,i feard dying or losing my mind,I feard of disseases and going out alone,almost every time I was stuck outside and like had to walk home a few miles or something I started to lose my breath,my chest was feeling tight,my vision became slowed,I was losing my balance and a lot of different unpleasant things,but after a years of trying to medicate and trying modern medicine i found out what my problem really was,Now I am smoking cannabis almost every day and I have found my relaxation,I found out that it is not the plants fault that it made me sick,but only my own brain,cannabis can induce some kind of psycotic episode,they call it cannabis psycosis or something like that,but dont be intimidated or anything,I maybe got struck by that psycosis and my mental state contibuted to that,but back then i was a kid and smoked my *** out every time and i didnt appreciated the plant and didnt care for it s true values,I can calmly say with a smile in my face,This is what you should do when you get that panic attack when you smoke weed,You need to understand the basics of your anatomy and your body,you need to get to know why your body is acting like it is,panic attack is nothing but your body`s wrong perception of your environment,when you get that heartracing,collapsing feeling,first you need to stay calm,this is the most crucial factor of it all,panic attack will not kill you,it is just your body preparing itself for danger,so that is why your adrenal glands start to release adrenalin in your blood,your veins tighteen up more blood gets into your vital organs and that is why everytime you have that panic attack your hands and feet are cold and sweatty...you cannot die from a panic attack,so if you ever experience this kind of symptoms dont be feared,just stay calm,dont breath to fast,you need to calm yourself and your breathing rhytm,i found my self the best measure for that,slowly and deeply brethe,into your stomach,not into your lungs,as deeper you can and then wait 2 seconds and exhale for about 5 seconds,stay relaxed and just let go to the sensation,dont fight it even if it is scary,just tell yourself hit me as hard as you can and if you are thinking positive and staying calm the adrenalin rush will go away because your body cannot hurt itself,if you want it make your panic worse it will simply go away...I know that in that time of panic the last thing you will do is concentrate and stay calm and possitive,trust me I had like a few hundred of attack and about 30 percent of that was more aggresive than the trip to the hospital attack...I dont know what i can say anymore but just dont ******* worry,i was on a break of being crazy or so I thought but human body is a remarkable machine,but the most important thing is your mind,for me cannabis smoking is not just relaxation,it is a spiritual traveling,I like to go to the nature now and get blasted and listen to the leaves and the wind,and I can tell you the most trippy high was outdoors on my grow site...I got so blasted that i could barely stay on my feet,my heart pumped like 200bpm or more,i had like a huge trip in my head,i saw like the past,the present,and the future all in the same exact moment,and things rapidly repeated,voices,images...it was a very frightening experience but i just tried to stay calm and relay,and in the end I just let go of my self,and my mind started to float,the clouds got so close i could barely touch them,the trees and the leaves and the wind...it was like nature talked to me and i could like see the perfect nature s plan,i could see that death should not be scary,i could see that this life is only a part of the whole nature s process and that we can never truly die,i cannot explain it but i can say after that day i never woken up and first thought how may panic attack i will have to survive this day,it has show me the way,maybe only in my mind but i can now go out and be normal,i am not frightened anymore and i think that my experience how ever scary and uncomfortable it has been,it made me a better and more intelligent person,I never knew fear until i had that first panic attack,my whole fear was that i will kill my self with my mind and my bad thoughts and my constant worrying...so just fuckin relax,get some food and drink and always eat and drink before or at the moment you are smoking,because hunger can make you unpleasant and weak and if you are high from some killer sativa you can get really ****.. up if you know what i mean,so just prepare yourself before you smoke,except the high as something natural and dont jump on every unpleasant cerebral or mental glitch and it will evolve into a state of peace and comfort,and yea dont use cannabis just for fun like those stupid kids everywhere,dont smoke if you are not already a grown normal person or if you have somekind of mental problem,you need to become more aware of your spirit and balance your subconciousnes,that way your highs will become like orgasms,something peacefull,and very pleasant!i prefer smoking alone,that is my way of staying in touch with my spirit,and yea I like early morning smokes,i like to get early in the morning,like in dawn,put on some great music like "dub incorporation" and get so very very high,and just relaxing and thinking about the nature,about my self,about how cannabis is a great plant,a plant that will help me a great deal in my life,help me against all of those diseases i now have so much less chance of getting,just be calm and dont fear of dying if you smoke some weed,that aint gonna happen,even if you pass out it is a good thing,like shutdown but it is really hard to blackout in that state because your body is prepared for danger and pumps more blood and oxygene into your organs,remember deep and slow breathing,food,water and just a possitive feeling,dont worry and i promise you that you will not die or become crazy or any other kind of bad thing,you would be suprised how good a few panic attacks can be for you...you will become less affraid and bohthered about stupid things,and get in touch with your body,Just remember how many times have you even felt that you had a heart,only when you ran a few miles or got really scared...you dont even feel it but maybe you should,maybe we all should have that kind of experience,than we would respect the plant s power,that is why i dont drink alcochole anymore,only smoke weed,respect the plant and mother nature,and it will not harm you!be peacefull and calm and stay that way!

p.s. sorry i wrote so much and for my bad english,I`m from a small country in europe!hope this post helps some of you,and if you ever have any problems with that panic attacks feel free to ask anything because I have a few years of fighting a battle with that problem and I know a lot of things that can help you stay normal and not to lose your confidence and sense!peace

i had a paranoid/ panic attack twice i can remember..........the last time in august gone.....i hadn't smoked in a really really really long time (because we're always broke :( )..........anyways the girl claims it was from canada (dont remember what she called it) but it was the prettiest i had ever seen....the lightest green.....anyhow we smoked a J and when i got downstairs to my sisters house I felt like a crack head .......i was looking out the window wondering if somebody was going to see me....just like unexplainable and stuff........ ( i bought a blunt for $20) btw....... im totally freaking out because i have to go about 20 miles to get back home and freakin out like crazy my sis gave me a one hitter and im all stressed out if i get pulled over etc anyways it finally passed and i was all better :) just thought i'd share that:eek:

radikk said:
im the exact opposite of a wimpy type guy. but have you heard or known anyway to eliminate this its all in your head thing.

Yea smoke more.

Dont even say sorry for that long post. I have waited for years from a response from a person that understood what that bad trip on bud was like.

I have panic attacks and take xanax for it, only thing besides vals that will stop it.

Anyways, you have the EXACT same thing I have experienced when I smoked. I still to this day cant enjoy a good blunt or J. I used to smoke daily and enjoy every moment.

I am glad someone understands.

God bless ya man, good to know Im not the only one that had happened to.

BGW said:
I have been smoking daily for probably two years. never have i had an experience like i did a few days ago. i had been smoking all day just like it was any other day but when i hit one particular bowl i immediately began to freak out. i felt as though i could not breath and like i was constantly on the brink of blacking out. i also had a terrible body high like ive never had. i began to tingle as well. i thought i was having a heart attack but i felt no pain. after hours of this i finally made it home from my friends and fell asleep. the next morning, curious about what had happened the night before, i decided to smoke a bowl and see what happened. well, i freaked out again. exactly the same as before. and this was from a different sack than the night before so its not the weed. now, every time i smoke i feel like i cant take deep enough breaths and i have a terrible body high. what happened to me?! ive never had asthma and this has never happened before. i know people who have been smoking for longer than i have and they are ok. please, someone, help me if you know what my problem is or how to fix it. also, has anyone else ever had this happen?

Although an old thread, i thought i'd chime in here. Yes like several others say the "freaking out" was most likely a "panic attack" which can occur from the onset of a powerful high. When you smoke marijuana your heart rate increases on average by 40 points, so it can cause a shift in blood pressure and heart rate which can cause instability. This is NOT the case for most people, but if you have low blood pressure, anxiety, stress or a host of other conditions, marijuana can help OR hinder those conditions, it fully depends on YOUR BODY & MIND and what strain you are smoking. It could be caused by something as simple as you have not had much to eat or drink, you were stressed, and then smoked some really powerful herbs, creating a panic attack due to the changes in your system.

I suffer from ptsd/anxiety, so some strains of marijuana cause panic attacks for me. Over the years you learn which ones do and dont. I've personally found that Indica's tend to not give me panic attacks, some sativa's do.

Here's a great trick i've learned: Any time you feel like you are suffereing from a panic attack like that, lay on your bed on your stomach and pull up a pillow under your chest and just lay down and rest your head and take slow steady breaths. within a couple minutes you'll be fine :)

i will only say this,when the panic attack starts after you smoked some weed,dont get scared,dont try to walk around and drink much water or do any other **** that people do when they are freaked out,you will only make your paranoia worse,the key to stoping your panic attack is to let yourself go with the flow,like a bamboo on a wind,just sit back,relax your muscles...I know this part is hard because you are trembling and your muscles are going wild,but just sit back and enjoy the ride,it is a similar felling like riding a roller coaster,you just need to tell yourself,come on bit.. hit me as hard as you can and you wont pass out or any other **** if you breathe slowly as possible,and breathe into your stomache,get that air deep as you can and just dont start to hiperventilate,hiperventilation will mess you up,if you breathe slowly your heart rate will soon drop and you will start to feel very relaxed and you will start to enjoy that weird sensation in your body...trust me,i had panic attacks for years,and trust me ganja will show you the way,i was so messed up by that panic attacks,but ganja helped me alot,now i can do all the things i couldn`t do for years,now i dont even think about having panic attacks,remember,panic attack is not a bad thing,it is just your body preparing for somekind of danger but for no obvious reason,relax your muscles,close your eyes and breathe deep and slow as possible,try to set appart your mind from your body and just enjoy that sensations that you are having!It is not a bad sensation it is just your perception of that feelings that are making you feel bad!just relax and enjoy your ganja...!a while ago i got so high that I couldnt believe,I layed on my bed,my body was shaking,every 30 seconds i was hot,so i took of my shirt,and after a minute I was freezing and I was really messed up,believe me you would probably go to the emergency room if you had gotten so much panic but i simply told myself I am going to die now...but i dont give a sh.t and i stayed in my bed and breathe slowly and I swear I went into another state,like my mind was not attached to my body,like I am actually pure energy that is going with the flaw of the entire universe and i started to love that sensation!if anyone has any other question please be free to ask!

Canimakeit said:
Dont even say sorry for that long post. I have waited for years from a response from a person that understood what that bad trip on bud was like.

I have panic attacks and take xanax for it, only thing besides vals that will stop it.

Anyways, you have the EXACT same thing I have experienced when I smoked. I still to this day cant enjoy a good blunt or J. I used to smoke daily and enjoy every moment.

I am glad someone understands.

God bless ya man, good to know Im not the only one that had happened to.

Try to ask your doctor to presrcibe you some Paroxetinum (Seroxat) Deprozel is how they call it in my country,It has minimal bad effects,but it should help you get rid of panic attacks for the long turm!but it is all in your head,just be pozitive about it,try to understand that it really al a natural sensation and that your body would never hurt you,it is your defensive mechanism that is just confused for some reason,and you need to find out what that reason is and take care of it,and the panic attacks will stope i promise you!

Young Jay said:
Any at all?

Hey man were you coughing hard before it happens? Same thing happens to me all the time,you can controll it some what,it's like if a bear is attacking you,your body has a natural reaction to shut you down so you don't feal him eating you,it's somethinglike a panic at attack ,happens if I cough too hard or standing up fast after squatting,check your sugar,I'm a diabetic and certain strains will affect me more than others.

you were having a panic attack quit smoking for a wile it will go away, remember 2 much of anything is bad.

This is pretty interesting, found this thread by accident. I actually had a panic attack myself some time ago, and it's one of the reasons I stopped toking bud for a while.

I don't believe it was directly caused by getting high, but only really amplified my already existing anxiety/stress issues and turned into a full blown anxiety/panic attack as a result. It was quite an extremely unpleasant experience. I was drinking tons of caffeine at the time, which I later found out to be a terrible trigger for anxiety. I also have unusually low blood pressure, and I believe this may factor in somehow.

In any case, I've actually come upon some news that smoking cannabis via combustion (as opposed to eating it or using a vape) can actually attribute to higher chances of an anxiety attack in some people because of the chemicals and mild oxygen deprivation. I've read that 'smoking' using a vaporizer has a very anti-anxiety, 'clean' high.

I'm planning to buy a vape soon and checking this out. I haven't smoked in quite a while, and been wanting to get back, but been a bit nervous because I really don't want to deal with any anxiety when high. Some of the previous posts describe the feeling pretty damn accurately... it's just overall f'ed up and unpleasant. It's somewhat reassuring I'm not the only one though.

Hey, so I may not be a person with years of experience like many of you who have had this happen, but I've always had friends who pass a bowl around and I'll very very occasionally take a hit. I just usually don't because I worried yhat my asthma may kick in.

So my guess is that my really intense, crazy reaction was because of my asthma, and or maybe the alcohol I had been drinking. And also the fact that I had taken wayyyyyy bigger a hit than I was used to off a bowl I hadn't used before. (Thus I inhaled more without realising it, because the hit was easier to take.)

Anyway, this is now the morning after what happened and I'm still asking my gf what she all saw. Because to her apparently I was just really chill for like 5 minutes, (after coughing till my stomach was queazy) and then I was acting a bit fidgety, and said a few concerning things like 'why aren't you scared for me?' And such.... And then I asked for a notebook (because I'm an artist and it's been a long time interest to me to draw something while high since I ALREADY draw surreal art.) and I drew something really strange. and then I guess how I was acting started to get scary and she wasn't sure what to do. And I wrote my moms number down and she called (couldn't get ahold of her so she left a vague message to call back.) and then my friends kid wandered out and I was like (****, girl, pull it together. Don't let him see!) and i did. I WAS barely able to focus but i was able to act natural enough. Then my mom called my gf back and i said hand me the phone and was able to cover up the reason for the call. Like i just. Wam bam. Had a phoney reason. (Thank goodness) and from there after i started to act more normal. And thats apparently what SHE saw.

It was the same for me in many ways, but just not everything was the same. I felt my heart rate increase and I was twitchy and jittery, and then i felt my body getting more and more limply relaxed, then it got a bit scary when my body got hot, but it was still fun and interesting. Then i couldnt stop smiling. My cheeks hurt. Then i got giggly and talkative (all the while having incontrollable fidgets, high pulse, and way too warm, numb tingly limbs) i asked for the notebook, (and i DO still have the drawing!!!) :D and i remember holding the sharpie up trying to decide what to draw. Then i felt the pen move down and my head like followed after. Looking down i could see the page and i myself wanted to start drawing an eye. And as i began i had like NO motor control. And then i kinda felt my mind race and i started to shake and feel twitches like i was gonna have a heart attack or a seizure so i tried all the time to calm myself. But as i started to worry i started to babble and say clipped phrases and as my head bobbled around with each twitch of my body my pen LED ahead... Or behind? My motions? And so it was like the pen would move in a swooop similar to my motion and stop. And an ink/sharpie dot would form. Then i really Felt strange because it felt like with each pound of my racing heart that i was bouncing in and out of reality. I couldnt tell if i was ACTUALLY freaking out this much. Or if i had just passed out? Or was hallucinating? Or my body trying to tell me im going into shock? I didnt know. So i asked things like what time is it? And anything that would give me a sign to if im actually awake or asleep (because i can control things i do in my dreams (lucid dreaming) so i can't always tell based on my ability to function) anyway, so as i was pulsing in and iut, and ocassionally feeling like i blacked out, but also like i was AND wasnt losing time, i started to try different things to get back to normal. I tried to just overpower my fear and focus on reality, but i didnt know where that was, then my gf tried to kiss me to snap me out of it (she later said that yes she did do that) and that helped tether me to reality. But then i started rambling things like 'i love you' 'im scared' 'do i seem okay?' 'Why arent you caring?' 'I love you. I Love. Love. Love. LOVe...' then i felt my self slipping into darkness, and yelled: DONT YOU DIE ON HER! I LOVE YOU J!' And slapped myself. (She later confirmed i did Do that.) and i kind of got quiet as everything seemed to zoom into focus/reality/something. And i tried focussing on breathing. But could only hear my pounding heartbeat in my ears, and felt it painfully banging in my chest. I also want to go back and note that i said 'why arent you caring?' Because i wasnt sure if i was really awake or not, maybe zoning in and out. I saw it almost like bouncing up and down through a unseen filter between real/fake/real/fake because sometimes peoples expressions would flash from looking normal/concerned to smiling maniacally. ) thus my intense confusion and fear! Yeah but anyway to cut a very long story short. As scary as it was: i still kept asking the time, and tried digging myself out of that strange high, and i was still in my head thinking 'did this get laced?' 'Was this just my asthma?' 'A bigger unknown medical issue?' 'How can i snap myself out of this' etc. So it was weird. And id NEVER felt anything like that. Hell, id never even gotten anything more than a bit giggly and hungry or tired after a hit or a shotgun. So part of me wasnt sure if it was normal. But it seemed WAY too intense to be any normal mj high....

So yeah. Thats what happened. At least all the main stuff. After i was finally down from the high i realised that the really intense stuff i remember happened for a half an hour while our one friend was out picking up her other kid. And then kind of took me two more hours to REALLY grab hold of reality and snap back to normal. And then my gf drove us hone and i zonked out shortly after. Slept like a rock and woke up itchy but otherwise fine. (But apparently she only saw me really freak out for like.... 5-10 minutes. Not a half hour)

So yup. Thats it. That's the gist of it. Annnnnnnd i never want to feel that way again. I was so ******* scared. (And yet also really intrigued)

Thoughts or comments anyone?

Where can i get some of that weed,,,Damn. Never had a reaction like that from Smoking,,freaked out a few times eating to much,,,but Damn Bro.

Latest posts

Back