Enough light?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teckS

Reaction score
ok im gonna have 6 plants in my little grow room i have made, its 3x5 feet and is going to my lined with mylar, will a 430watt Son agro HPS which gives out 53000 lumens do the trick???

the light should do, do u got any fans in there to for ventilation

You'll have a very good yield, but with that kind of light and that kind of smallish grow area you will need good ventilation to get fresh air into that room and control the temp/humidity.

Why do people grow vegetation with HPS lights? Its pretty clear that they dont have the colors to make a bushy plant. Plus wont the plant have a hard time when you try to flower? Sure you'll be on 12/12 but its the same light since seedling.... I dunno, but im using metal halide for vege and switching to 12/12 slowly, then ill put in the HPS.

(Plus wont the plant have a hard time when you try to flower? Sure you'll be on 12/12 but its the same light since seedling....)

the cannabis plant regulates its growth and flowering stages by measuring changes in the number of hour of uninterupted darkness to determin when to flower, the plant produces a hormone (phytochrome) beginning at germination. when this chemical builds up to a critical level, the plant switches its mode to vegatative growth to flowering. but this chemical is destroyed in the presense of a few moments of light

Hazer- i agree with u on changing lights for each season but its not the main reason why plants switch to flowering

im going to be installing a ventilation system after i buy the light, and yes i have a fan going almost all the time, and Hazer, im growing with an HPS because its the Son-Agro 430watt version they added 30watts of Blue Spectrum to even out plant growth, or so the Bulb-website says. Any comments on this? will it really not be good for veg?

When talking HPS, rule of thumb is 50 watts per sq/ft.
3' x 5' = 15 sq/ft.

So for optimum light you'll need 750 watts HPS total.

I'd suggest either adding more light or scaling back on the growspace size, otherwise you'll end up with skimpy buds.

430 watts is ideal for a 3' x 3' space.
And don't worry, you can still get 6 plants in a 3' x 3' growspace no prob.

Hazer, because thousands people do so and have an amazing results.
I never used anything like MH or fluoriscent bulbs for veg after I saw what HPS can do with my plants.
teckS, 430 > 400 =) HPS is pretty good for veg.

Hazer, except for rooting clones my plants never see anything else but HPS.
With flo-thro ventilation, straight HPS equals MH, and full spectrum HPS outperforms MH.

straight HPS equals MH, and full spectrum HPS outperforms MH.
..though this may have shown itself to be true in your grow or in your opinion, plant science doesn't neccessarily agree.
I've grown from seed to finish under both, exclusively, and found little difference in the final product. Not in speed/vigor, volume, potency, or flavor. If your environment, nutrients and lumens/PAR are maximized, either lamp will yeild great results.

Latest posts

Back