escaping smell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blondlebanese

Reaction score
how does one keep the smell from escapeing from the air intake when the air exhaust is not on?

A damper might help.

I use a fan on my intake. Even at the slowest speed, it prevents backdraft.

I constantly pull air from my tents with my inline fans and exhaust out a window. The negative pressure keeps all odors at bay.

A damper may help, but if you do not have a sealed room and your exhaust fan is not on, you are not going to be able to keep the odors in. Like Hammy said, you need negative pressure.

just to make sure I have it right. your saying the exhaust fan should run 24/7 ?

Yes, the exhaust fan should run 24/7.

I also run my oscillating fan and my intake fan 24/7.

You are better off to keep your ventilation fans and oscillation fans going continuously anyway as it will help prevent the build up off humidity and mold issues.

Out of curiosity why should exhaust fans be run 24 hrs of the day ??? i realize oscillating fans should be kept on, but exhaust ???? many growers hook up there exhaust to thermostats right so when temps hit set point they turn on to cool room
once temps hit low set mark it shuts off
many growers grow in heat of summer in there basements cause usually basements are cool in low 60's normally least most houses i go to so with exhaust fan going on 24 hrs a day when lights are off what really happens well room obviously will drop in temps and we all know low temps = slow growth
People will mask the intake area with car fresheners, you name it to try to mask the smell carbon scrubbers help but the smell is always there
passive intake or any other is not going to stop the smell you may not smell it but i can guarantee you its there your just used to the smell
I smoke cigarettes my parents do not everytime i visit even tho i made sure i didn't smoke before i got there father goes *** you eating them
Last time i trimmed i did not smell no weed yet when buddy came over he cold smell it outside ???
His exact words were *** man you venting it outside can almost smell it 1/2 block away
Weed is weed in veg there is a distinct smell in flower its over whelming and YES a grower people living in the house may
Not think it smells but it does if a cop was to walk into your house i would place bets he would smell it thinking 2 things either someone smoked a joint or there growing enough of just cause to pursue it further

Out of curiosity why should exhaust fans be run 24 hrs of the day ??? i realize oscillating fans should be kept on, but exhaust ???? many growers hook up there exhaust to thermostats right so when temps hit set point they turn on to cool room
once temps hit low set mark it shuts off
many growers grow in heat of summer in there basements cause usually basements are cool in low 60's normally least most houses i go to so with exhaust fan going on 24 hrs a day when lights are off what really happens well room obviously will drop in temps and we all know low temps = slow growth
People will mask the intake area with car fresheners, you name it to try to mask the smell carbon scrubbers help but the smell is always there
passive intake or any other is not going to stop the smell you may not smell it but i can guarantee you its there your just used to the smell
I smoke cigarettes my parents do not everytime i visit even tho i made sure i didn't smoke before i got there father goes *** you eating them
Last time i trimmed i did not smell no weed yet when buddy came over he cold smell it outside ???
His exact words were *** man you venting it outside can almost smell it 1/2 block away
Weed is weed in veg there is a distinct smell in flower its over whelming and YES a grower people living in the house may
Not think it smells but it does if a cop was to walk into your house i would place bets he would smell it thinking 2 things either someone smoked a joint or there growing enough of just cause to pursue it further

Many growers run their exhaust 24/7 in order extract as much smell as they can through their carbon filter.

Pretty much what duck said. It is pretty much the only way to keep negative pressure in your space, which keeps the odor from escaping.

A lot of us don't. When I first started growing and had smaller fans, I did use an intake fan, but it didn't take long to realize that I really didn't need one.

I use an intake fan. My one room in not 100% air tight and if I only use negative pressure it ends up drawing air from an area where I don't really want it to. So, I use an intake fan to bring high CO2 air into the room from another part of the house.

Also, the intake fan is pointed right at the plants so it acts in place of one of the oscillating fans.

I also use one in my veg tent. Although I don't have the same problem in the tent that I have in the flower room, if I turn the exhaust fan past 70% it starts to suck the tent inside out. Using the intake fan eliminates that problem. I could turn the exhaust fan down but I want the maximum amount of air exchange. Also, 2 of my tent intake vents are up against a wall and all the others have carbon filter material over them so I really needed more intake.

I had the fan, anyway. It doesn't make much noise or use much electricity. I figure, why not.

However, like Rose said, most people don't use an intake fan. My situation is, somewhat, unusual.

Latest posts

Back