Every State Flag Is Wrong, and Here Is Why

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YYZ Skinhead

RIP Neil Peart 9/12/1952 -- 1/7/2020
Reaction score
People, this is not a political subject, it is a vexillological subject, and only for folks who can laugh at themselves.

Flag Day is June 14. Around half of USA state flags look virtually identical: a state seal on a field some shade of blue. At a distance it is difficult to tell them apart. The non-creativity of state flags is a running joke among American vexillologists.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...is-wrong-and-here-is-why/3499577762719287858/
I shall start with my state:
320px-Flag_of_California.svg.png

Okay, California. Half credit for containing a bear. But you have not been a Republic since 1846, so this flag is misleading. I guess the words “California Republic” were necessary because otherwise you could be mistaken for something having to do with the Soviet Union.

(Trivium: the California flag was originally nothing but a red star.)

Last edited:
Thank you for teaching me a new word! awesome. The link didn't work, shoot.

I think I fixed it. I hope it works because it is a hilarious article. I like the term "vexillology" because it is so obscure that nobody other than vexillologists and heraldrists know it exists.

Latest posts

Back