exhaust fan help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trojan46312

Reaction score
How can one tell if an exhaust fan is working too hard? I ask because I only have a passive intake and not sure if the right amount of air is getting in with the filters I covered the intake hole with. I don't want to blow out my fan prematurely if its possible. The fan is not getting very hot so I'm guessing its ok. Any thoughts on this?

I have an Oracle 6 inch 440 cfm fan for the exhaust connected to two air cooled reflectors using flexible duct. The passive intake hole is about 8 inches towards the bottom of the room. I can feel air breezing thru the intake but not sure if its enough to not have a vacuum.

I guess i would judge by the room temp if the room is staying at a good temp your intake is ok, if temps are high its prob to small.

:yeahthat:

what are the plants telling you?

dman1234 said:
I guess i would judge by the room temp if the room is staying at a good temp your intake is ok, if temps are high its prob to small.

Ok. The temps are pretty consistent so far but I just put the filter over the intake so I'll keep an eye out.

4u2sm0ke said:
:yeahthat:
what are the plants telling you?

They haven't had a chance to speak yet cause I just hooked everything up not too long ago :)

why do you need a filter on the intake? if the exuast is working well all of what little bit of smell you have will be exuasted! right? depending on where your exuast is going, that is where some sort of carbon simple filter should be if any at all,, right?? that is at least what I thought. I exuast right thru my closet roof into the empty atic space with just passive small intake hole 1600watts of hps light and a fan moving the air around in the room and thats all, it is a little warm @ 90f lights on but my plants seem to like warm like that. I think the filter shuld go and you will be fine! good luck!

BudLover#69 said:
why do you need a filter on the intake? if the exuast is working well all of what little bit of smell you have will be exuasted! right? depending on where your exuast is going, that is where some sort of carbon simple filter should be if any at all,, right?? that is at least what I thought. I exuast right thru my closet roof into the empty atic space with just passive small intake hole 1600watts of hps light and a fan moving the air around in the room and thats all, it is a little warm @ 90f lights on but my plants seem to like warm like that. I think the filter shuld go and you will be fine! good luck!

The reason for the intake filter is for bugs and dust being sucked in the room. I think I'll leave it just as a precaution. I got lucky as my room is very close to my chimney so I'm exhausting outside.

Listen to your fan with all doors closed, if the fan speeds up you have too small a air intake.

On air filters just look at the package and most of them have their cfm rating listed.

Trojan46312 said:
The reason for the intake filter is for bugs and dust being sucked in the room. I think I'll leave it just as a precaution. I got lucky as my room is very close to my chimney so I'm exhausting outside.

When I first started growing a few years ago, I was always worried about bugs becuase everyone talks about them! I am a semi-newgrower 2yrs now indoors so I still have So much to learn. But after a couple harvest and having my 3 fav strains I keep everything in house and have harvested them 8-10 times now and have never seen one bug other than nats from the storebought soil. Got rid of them and recycle my soil too just add menure to it and it works great the weed turns out even better now!! same Original cuttings from two years ago, I just cut two cuttings off each plant the day I put them in flower it works out pretty good. Sorry my point was that if your inside and clean/carefull you should not have a bug issue :) I havent yet! lol hope it stays that way now that I talked sh*t! lol,, Well I am sure your fan is fine I hope you get Dank bud!

Funny I better get a filter now! he he lol, Dam for real! You got me scared again :)

BudLover#69 said:
When I first started growing a few years ago, I was always worried about bugs becuase everyone talks about them! I am a semi-newgrower 2yrs now indoors so I still have So much to learn. But after a couple harvest and having my 3 fav strains I keep everything in house and have harvested them 8-10 times now and have never seen one bug other than nats from the storebought soil. Got rid of them and recycle my soil too just add menure to it and it works great the weed turns out even better now!! same Original cuttings from two years ago, I just cut two cuttings off each plant the day I put them in flower it works out pretty good. Sorry my point was that if your inside and clean/carefull you should not have a bug issue :) I havent yet! lol hope it stays that way now that I talked sh*t! lol,, Well I am sure your fan is fine I hope you get Dank bud!

Funny I better get a filter now! he he lol, Dam for real! You got me scared again :)

Hahaaaa! I hear you bro. Actually, I didn't have any problems before the filter and I've gone for only 2 harvests myself. It's just that I've learned pretty much everything I know about gardening from this forum and that's how many of the growers here suggest so I just did it. Plus I'm not the cleanest person in the world :) My house collects dust very fast for some reason...its hard to keep up :)

ozzydiodude said:
Listen to your fan with all doors closed, if the fan speeds up you have too small a air intake.

On air filters just look at the package and most of them have their cfm rating listed.

Good advice. Will do. I just needed a reference like this to see if the fan was working too hard. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back