experienced growers plz

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hero4u2b

Reaction score
Hi everyone,, I have 2 mj plants that are now in their 8th week of veg and I am just about to flip the switch to induce flowering. On one of my plants I have noticed that there are a few bottom leaves that are turning yellow and up top I can see in a few of the bigger fan leaves ( the viens) look quite green. Others ( viens) match the color of the leaf. Over all ,the plants are extremly healthy and growing well and I am tempted not to do anything but I am wondering if this is a common recognizable deficincy and is there something I can do like add trace elements to help this lady out. The other plant isnt like this, I am using FFOF soil. the FF trio nutes and PH everything ofcourse before watering and feeding. I have read all the stickys and leaf deficincy charts and still cant be sure exactly.. If anyone has had this problem I would appreicate some feedback, Otherwise I might just let it go and hope for the best..Thanks Hero

Sunday april 8th 001.jpg

Sunday april 8th 002.jpg

Sunday april 8th 005.jpg

Sunday april 8th 007.jpg

If your ph is on, I would say add some Cal/Mag to your feedings. Next grow, try adding 3/4 cup of fine dolomite lime to each bag of FFOF, it will help regulate your ph and also provide a little cal/mag for your girls.

In my experience the lower leaves will get like that...they get old and start looking "fake" and beat up. I worry most about new growth....as long as it is healthy and green things are fine. Jmo

:yeahthat: to :yeahthat: :D

Most of my gals have battle wounds of this nature around that time of their lives!

Good to hear. I am checking out what cal/mag is and at the same time don't want to mess with her and how well she is doing. all in all. Thanks everyone, Hero

You will need cal/mag anyway.....the gals love some cal/mag in bud. Well, I think they use it to some extent all through growth, truly.

I agree with the others; often times little things like that happen after a couple of months.

Just a thought: How big are those plants, and what size pots do you have them in? Do they need transplanting?

They are in 7 gallon nursery pots. Over all the are incredible.. getting so huge and so healthy.. Just one of the plants is like this. I know it is something but since they are doing so well I am a bit hesitent about doing anything. I am kind of afraid I might make it worst.. What I am going to do is when I water tomorrow or before I water I am going to the local hydro store and buy some cal/mag... Use what is says on the bottle and hope for the best.. Thanks everyone... Hero

I'm just speaking from my experiences with FFOF and the FF 3-pack. CalMag will be necessary when you begin to flower, if you are seeing yellowing and crusty leaves in veg, IMO by week 3 of flowering at the latest you will see much more of this yellowing and dieing leaves and this deficiency will lock out other nutrients.
This is just my opinion, but leaves that look as severe as the pics you posted IS NOT normal in veg. If your plants are massive and the lights are not penetrating to the lower leaves, then maybe some dieing off might happen, but yours look different. I normally don't veg to 8 weeks but IMO your plants are showing you a deficiency. I saw the same deficiency in my first few grows, always around week 2-3 of flowering, but couldn't figure it out and my yields suffered as a result. CalMag helped drastically, and eventually Dolomite Lime was the key that turned my entire show around. I'm no pro by any means, but I do get good results with the FF line. I have been running FFOF with FF nutes for almost my entire 4 years of growing, with every kind of water from tap to RO. CalMag is essential with this soil/nute combo IMO regardless of the quality of water you use.
Again, all of this is just my opinion. Good luck :farm:

Def noted and they will have it in a few hours.. I was in gazeing and talking to them last night.. one other thing I noticed was both do not have dirt all the way up to the top of the nursery pots.. They are lacking say 3 and a half inchs with some top roots a tad exsposed.. I never noticed it before or would have put a few cups of soil over and around the plant.. This is one more thing I plan on doing to ensure she is a happy camper.. Thanks Doc for everything Hero

I think that you can throw some soil so the roots aren't exposed ... Think that happens because watering.

Well I watered and feed with half ammounts of grow big. big bloom. tiger bloom and a tsp of Cal/mag from bonticare.. Isnt it strange the PH after all of that was 6.43 ... Its like when the everythings right.. I dont have to PH ???? I know the tiger bloom made me have to bring it UP and with just the big bloom and grow big it was within range as well.. Funny. Anyways Appreciate it you guys.. Thanks Hero

hero4u2b said:
Well I watered and feed with half ammounts of grow big. big bloom. tiger bloom and a tsp of Cal/mag from bonticare.. Isnt it strange the PH after all of that was 6.43 ... Its like when the everythings right.. I dont have to PH ???? I know the tiger bloom made me have to bring it UP and with just the big bloom and grow big it was within range as well.. Funny. Anyways Appreciate it you guys.. Thanks Hero

Yep, like BHO said you can just add more dirt up to an inch or so below the rim of your container.

If your ph is ending up around 6.4 for that particular mix, then go with it. Keep in mind your ph might vary next time you mix your solution so it's important to always check it. I usually have to use 'Up' to get mine where I want it, as most of my mixes using FF end up in the 4.5-5.0 range.

If you aren't already, I would also recommend checking the EC/ppms of your solution. If you are using GB,BB,TB and CalMag together all at once, it's pretty easy to get your mix too strong. It all depends on your strain of course, but it's definitely something to keep an eye on. And keep a record of what you are giving them, it really helps later on if you run into any problems.

How tall are your girls and how long til you plan to flip them?

I always will use my PH meter now.. Thanks to you guys.. I don't know what EC is.. I know ppm is probobly parts per million.. ? Is this something I should have another meter for? Something else to learn? I am eager to learn as long as it isnt comlicated ( so I dont feel stupid. lol ) When I started these plants I was using an inexspensive PETERS 20-20-20 blue in color fertilizer that seemed to work fine although I had to PH down because it made everything a bit high.. Now a few weeks ago I bought the FF grow big. big bloom and I didnt have to touch the PH.. for some reason it was is range, almost perfect ( 6.5) Now recently knowing my plants were reaching adulthood and showing alternating nodes and female pistals I bought the tiger bloom which I noticed made my water so I had to bring the PH up. and as of today with the new cal/mag after mixing everything up ( the nutes a half or third strenth) it all came out like perfect.. it was 6.43 or something.. My ladys are a lil over 2 foot tall ,very busy 13 or 14 double nodes. There are a few pics a them a few days ago I took and posted.. I delete them from my pc and my phone after.. a bit paranoid I suppose..I was even going to take a few more pics for you but now my PC isnt recognizing my SD card in my phone.. its a setting.. I dont even know how to use it well. lol.. Have to go to the sprint store again. lol Anyways Thanks and take care.. Hero

If your taking pics with your phone I hope you have turned off your gps satelites. cops can track down where a picture was taken from.

well.. I hope they aint tracking me. lol I have 2 MJ plants and yes we have grow house busts all the time here in Florida but I have been watching the news and recently saw 2 seperate arrests for ppl growing some weed indoors . One guy was a man who called the police because people came to his home.. (home invasion) robbed him of jewlery and video game stuff and when the cops went to his house they went into the guys garage and he was growing weed .. Needless to say.. They did arrest him.. His bond was 3k.. So was another guy who was caught growing.. They didnt use the term cultivating they used the term producing. both these guys were held on a 3 thousand dollar bond.. Here thats right beside DUI. There is a difference between renting a house.. warehouse other type place to grow weed commerically . and haveing a few plants.. ME... I have 2 MJ plants.. I don't advertise it. dont even tell friends but If they want to go get probable cause to come into my home and get a search warrent and break down my door for 2 MJ plants.. well.. I am wating on them. lol

hero4u2b said:
I don't know what EC is.. I know ppm is probobly parts per million.. ? Is this something I should have another meter for? Something else to learn?

EC is 'electrical conductivity', a measurement of the TDS (total dissolved solids) in your solution. PPM's are a translation of that in parts per million.
Yes, you need a meter that reads TDS. Some growers go without, but it's a must have IMO. It's essential to know exactly how much of what you are giving your girls.

Dr. Manny Bowles said:
If your ph is on, I would say add some Cal/Mag to your feedings. Next grow, try adding 3/4 cup of fine dolomite lime to each bag of FFOF, it will help regulate your ph and also provide a little cal/mag for your girls.

:yeahthat: :goodposting:

Only thing I would do different is 1 1/2 cups of the dolo (1cup/cf).

I don't use cal/mag at all with that amount of lime, but have noticed sometimes, early on, you might need to use a bit of epsom salts till the mag in the dolomite becomes available. Seldom more than one application.

Wet

Hero if you are in soil save your money on the ec/TDS/ppm meter....while it is a valuable tool in hydro applications it is not needed in my opinion in soil. If you plan on ever going hydro then I wld pick one up before you do.

Latest posts

Back