Extra lime...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SensiStarFan

Reaction score
Hi all,
So where I live the natural soil outdoors is not very good. I ended up going to the garden center in town to find out more about the soil and what I can do for my lawn. The people there knew about the type of lawn grass I have and explained that I need to put down lime twice a year because of the crappy soil we have around this area. I ended up picking up this lime that is pelletized for use in a lawn spreader, and I was wondering if it is possible to also use it for MJ plants in soil to stabalize ph and add cal/mag? I have never tried it but would if it might be beneficial. I took a picture of the breakdown of the lime if that helps.

-SSF-

lime 004.JPG

SSF, from what i've read you want to use powdered dolomite lime. the pellets can release too much lime and cause nutrient lockout. I suppose you could powder the pellets your self, just becareful that you dont inhale the lime dust... It can cause cancer and lung infections and so on. I read somewhere about a guy who used a coffee bean grinder to powder his lime, you could try that....?

Yes. Get it working now, it will take months to breakdown. Just mix into some soil and water. Use that soil to ammend other soil. It wont cause nutrient lockout. At best it increases uptake. Dont bother grinding. GL

i've used powdered lime for my mj and pellets in my yard for years. the only difference in pellets and powder is that the pellets take longer to break down and be affective than the powder if they're both dolomite that is. now there are different types of lime. dolomite lime will only take your ph to around 7ish or so, where hydrated powdered lime can take it up to the 12's from what i've read. if your not having ph issues with your mj i wouldn't add it in as it could through your routine off and cause more problems than it will help.. if it ain't broke don't fix it.. jmo

thanks everyone for the advice. I'm not having ph issues I was just wondering if there was a potential benefit to using it. I use pro-mix BX soil, the 3 part GH floro, micro, bloom, floralicious plus and liquid koolbloom once I get a couple weeks into flower. My tap water is very low on ppm's down in the 20's-30's. This bag of lime says it provides cal/mag and I was just wondering if that would be a help.

-SSF-

i use promix and had a small ph issue early on but got it fixed. alot of ppl add lime to promix before they plant in it. its really up to you. if you decide to use it i think a 1tbs per gallon of soil is what you add. might wanna research that though im not 100% sure.

slowmo77 said:
i use promix and had a small ph issue early on but got it fixed. alot of ppl add lime to promix before they plant in it. its really up to you. if you decide to use it i think a 1tbs per gallon of soil is what you add. might wanna research that though im not 100% sure.

Thanks slowmo. I have not used the lime and would hesitate to just start mixing it with the soil of all plants. Maybe next grow I will do one plant with added lime in the pot and see how it compares to those plants in promix-bx without added lime.

-SSF-

i've never had my soil tested but i have ammended the soil every year for the first seven with all organic supplements...
i.e.; 100lbs. earthworm castings cert. organic, blood and bone meal, humic acid, canadian peat moss, compost (my own), perlite, bat guano(flowering) and sometimes aged cow manuer all of this is done in the winter so cum spring im ready to grow...everything grew bigger and tasted better than store bought so im happy
oh yea and a nice big bag of sweet dolomite

nouvellechef said:
Yes. Get it working now, it will take months to breakdown. Just mix into some soil and water. Use that soil to ammend other soil. It wont cause nutrient lockout. At best it increases uptake. Dont bother grinding. GL

Yup, get it in there. I add both the powdered and pellets to my mix. The pellets start kicking in about the time the powdered is exhausted, plus, I recycle my mix.

I think the promix bx has some added, but not much and the pellets should start working about the time the other is exhausted. "I" would add lime to any peat based mix.

I've grown 'stuff' in pure crushed limestone if that answers any questions about over application. Just stay away from hydrated. That has been chemically altered and can do a lot of damage if misused.

Wet

I do it like wetdog...;) I use powdered dolomite sweet lime for short term control of the ph of my soil and add the pellets for long term stability. I do grind my pelletized lime very briefly in an old coffee grinder to break it down just a bit but it's still pretty chunky...

Happy Growing~!:cool:

Wetdog said:
Yup, get it in there. I add both the powdered and pellets to my mix. The pellets start kicking in about the time the powdered is exhausted, plus, I recycle my mix.

I think the promix bx has some added, but not much and the pellets should start working about the time the other is exhausted. "I" would add lime to any peat based mix.

I've grown 'stuff' in pure crushed limestone if that answers any questions about over application. Just stay away from hydrated. That has been chemically altered and can do a lot of damage if misused.

Wet

Thanks Wetdog,
I don't think it is hydrated. It just says "Pelletized Dolomitic Limestone". At least it doesn't say hydrated anywhere on the bag. Can I mix it into the top of the soil of my existing plants or does it need to be mixed evenly into the whole pot of soil?
3-17-11 005.JPG
-SSF-

Wow, for existing, that's a toughie. With pellets, even mixed into the entire pot of soil it is very slow release, so as a top dressing ...........

If you can only top dress, I'd get it as fine as you can.

I top dress it in my garden, but in the fall, so it will be available the following spring, 5-6 months later.

Just remember, it's ground up rock. It doesn't dissolve and blend in like say, dry fertilizer or something.

Wet

Wetdog said:
Wow, for existing, that's a toughie. With pellets, even mixed into the entire pot of soil it is very slow release, so as a top dressing ...........

If you can only top dress, I'd get it as fine as you can.

I top dress it in my garden, but in the fall, so it will be available the following spring, 5-6 months later.

Just remember, it's ground up rock. It doesn't dissolve and blend in like say, dry fertilizer or something.

Wet

Ok thanks Wetdog. I only have 5 weeks left in flowering so I will just keep doing what I have been doing. I recycle my soil so after this grow I will add some lime to the recycled soil. I think the 1-2 tablespoons per gallon is about right....does anyone think this is an incorrect amount?

-SSF-

1-2 tbl spoons/gallon is good, I grab as much as one of my hands can hold and thro it in a 5 gal pot.

Latest posts

Back