extracting oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problem, your welcome.
I would like to say one more thing about you trying to make vape product out of the oil you are making. You will always have a problem when you try and make your vape product because of all the lipids, cannabinoids and fats that are still in your oil. This is why you are getting seperation and it turns into a mess and won't burn right.
Now for the dry ice hash.
It is that easy.
Everyone has their own ways of doing things, which is cool.
This is just how I do it, cause I want the best quality I can get for myself.
You must remember you want the least amount of plant matter in your finished product. So if you start with your weed dried and cured. You are obviously going to get more plant matter in your finished product than if you started with your weed fresh frozen. What I mean by this is. I trim all my buds then hang them to dry. This is just the way I like to do it. And I've been doing it this way for over 40 years.
Now once the buds are trimmed, I get all the trim and put it into jars and freeze it. Fresh Frozen.
Within a week I make my dry ice hash. Using fresh frozen you will get less than half of the plant matter in your hash than if you started with dried weed.
I have 4 separate peices of glass I shake on to. Because each time you shake is considered a different grade of hash. Which means you get more plant matter in the hash.
So I start with a 90 micron bag I shake it till my arms get tired.
This is the best grade. Then I get a different piece of glass and shake again.
Then I change to a 120 micron bag and new glass and shake again till my arms get tired. Then I shake it again on to a different piece of glass.
That's it.
What's left a buddy of mine takes home and shakes it till there is nothing left. Lol. But he likes it.
But by the time he gets it there is hardly any trichs left.
Now you want to let your hash dry out some before you put it into a container. That's it.
Good luck...
thanks for your reply. waiting on my bags to come in and I'm looking forward to trying it. my last try at the oil turned out to be a disaster. i put my tincture (in mason jar) in pot of boiling water (180 deg) to burn the alcohol off. during the process the jar cracked and i lost oil from a good ounce of weed. if i can ask you....i have about 76 grams of weed almost 2 years old. it smells old but it's still sticky and gets you high would you use this for your first try at dry ice hash or use something fresher? thanks for your input. peace.

bake weed (14 g's) 30 minutes @ 250 place in freezer over nite with everclear (190) in separate jars. mix and set in fridge for 20 minutes then shake lightly for 30 seconds. strain through coffee filters to get tincture. pour mixture in double broiler, small non stick pan in larger pan with water cook slowly (light boil) to burn off alcohol. this is where i'm having difficulty.
hi. this is where i am having difficulty as well. I got everything even the distiller to recoup the alcohol but i found out that i absolutely need a vaccum oven and i still have to buy it. I don't think it is waste of money, i am eager to extract that golden thc solution you get from washing the first run with alcohol. you can't get that with dry ice and bubble bags.

thanks for your reply. waiting on my bags to come in and I'm looking forward to trying it. my last try at the oil turned out to be a disaster. i put my tincture (in mason jar) in pot of boiling water (180 deg) to burn the alcohol off. during the process the jar cracked and i lost oil from a good ounce of weed. if i can ask you....i have about 76 grams of weed almost 2 years old. it smells old but it's still sticky and gets you high would you use this for your first try at dry ice hash or use something fresher? thanks for your input. peace.
Sure use that old weed. And remember you can always press that hash if it gets to much plant matter in it or even if it doesn't.
Let me know how things go.
Good luck bro.

hi. this is where i am having difficulty as well. I got everything even the distiller to recoup the alcohol but i found out that i absolutely need a vaccum oven and i still have to buy it. I don't think it is waste of money, i am eager to extract that golden thc solution you get from washing the first run with alcohol. you can't get that with dry ice and bubble bags.
A vac oven is definitely not a waste of money.
Also someone can get that golden thc solution with dry ice hash. You just need to smash it.
It takes a 2 step process. But both of these are easier and faster than extracting with a solvent and then having to purge it. Also smashing gives you a better for you cleaner product.
I think.
Don't get me wrong I still make oil and purge. But it's for somebody else, not me.
Everyone has their own way of doing things, which is cool.
Good luck bro....

well...well...well... first of all thank you again for your advice on the hash. i wish i had that $55.00 back on the alchemy kit i ordered for the oil extraction. i had hash a few times over the years but it's been a while. the method looks very simple and the results looked even better. one thing i would like to ask..what to look out for? what kind of problems could happen. it seems so simple...other than a dry room with low humidity....it's just seems too simple. also....how old is too old weed? i have some over a year but still strong. thanks again for the info....the internet is a wonderful thing. peace fellow stoner.
hey herbwatcher;
i got my bags and made dry ice hash.wow....so easy and great results. i started with a 90 and then 190. on approx. 90 grams of weed i got approx. 26 grams of hash (total) the old weed is still really good....thank you for your advice. if you could give me advice on one more thing. i had an alchemy kit on the way before i knew about the dry ice so i made another batch of oil. i've got about 20ml's of liquid. it's approx. 15 ml's oil, 3 terps and booster and the worst part..... 2 ml's (maybe less) alcohol. i spaced and mixed the terps and booster i thought i had all the alcohol off) and now not sure was such a good idea. is there anything i can do to salvage the oil and use? i didn't want to cook it down too far so i backed off. open for suggestions. thanks for your time. peace.

hey herbwatcher;
i got my bags and made dry ice hash.wow....so easy and great results. i started with a 90 and then 190. on approx. 90 grams of weed i got approx. 26 grams of hash (total) the old weed is still really good....thank you for your advice. if you could give me advice on one more thing. i had an alchemy kit on the way before i knew about the dry ice so i made another batch of oil. i've got about 20ml's of liquid. it's approx. 15 ml's oil, 3 terps and booster and the worst part..... 2 ml's (maybe less) alcohol. i spaced and mixed the terps and booster i thought i had all the alcohol off) and now not sure was such a good idea. is there anything i can do to salvage the oil and use? i didn't want to cook it down too far so i backed off. open for suggestions. thanks for your time. peace.
well.....i don't know shit about chemistry. i put that solution in a shot glass measuring cup with a cheese cloth over it. the first day 2 mils had evaporated, another day another 2 mils. slowly it's now down to 4.5 mils. it had to be the alcohol? way more than i thought. it has a good texture and even though it's very slight you can still smell some alcohol but not bad and the grape flavor smells just right. i'm going to give it another day but might add .5 mls booster mix and have 5 mils of decent oil. it has the best texture of any i've done yet.....and this will be the last the hash is great.

well.....i don't know **** about chemistry. i put that solution in a shot glass measuring cup with a cheese cloth over it. the first day 2 mils had evaporated, another day another 2 mils. slowly it's now down to 4.5 mils. it had to be the alcohol? way more than i thought. it has a good texture and even though it's very slight you can still smell some alcohol but not bad and the grape flavor smells just right. i'm going to give it another day but might add .5 mls booster mix and have 5 mils of decent oil. it has the best texture of any i've done yet.....and this will be the last the hash is great.
What's up busdriver?
Yes sitting the oil out and covered it will slowly evaporate.
The thing is with a alcohol extraction you will always have a slight smell and taste problem.
May I suggest going to Amazons site and check out Best Value Vac. They sell vac chambers and they even sell kits where you can get the vac chamber and the pump for like $100.00 to $200.00. This is what you want to be using to purge your product.
It's very simple to use and it takes a little bit of time. But this is alot better and safer to purge with than the way you are trying to do it.
But like I stated before you will still taste the solvent you used to extract with. Unless you go further into your extraction process. But that concise of spending alot more money for more equipment.
If you want good safe oil to dab or vape. You are better off making your hash and then smashing it to get your oil

What's up busdriver?
Yes sitting the oil out and covered it will slowly evaporate.
The thing is with a alcohol extraction you will always have a slight smell and taste problem.
May I suggest going to Amazons site and check out Best Value Vac. They sell vac chambers and they even sell kits where you can get the vac chamber and the pump for like $100.00 to $200.00. This is what you want to be using to purge your product.
It's very simple to use and it takes a little bit of time. But this is alot better and safer to purge with than the way you are trying to do it.
But like I stated before you will still taste the solvent you used to extract with. Unless you go further into your extraction process. But that concise of spending alot more money for more equipment.
If you want good safe oil to dab or vape. You are better off making your hash and then smashing it to get your oil
Busdriver,
For some reason when I posted the previous post it cut off a paragraph.
While you are in the Amazon site check out Nug Smashers, there is alot of them out there.
Good luck and take care bro.

Busdriver,
For some reason when I posted the previous post it cut off a paragraph.
While you are in the Amazon site check out Nug Smashers, there is alot of them out there.
Good luck and take care bro.
thanks for the info herbwatcher. weeds definitely not just weed anymore and a huge market with so many different methods of usage to prove it. i got 6 mls out of the last batch and yes taste a little harsh but a good high... going to stick with the hash for a while too much money and weed over the last year on oil process. thanks again for the info. health & happiness.

Latest posts

Back