extracting oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busdriver

Reaction score
Please help. i'm having difficulty cooking off the alcohol. i can't get all of it out or i over cook. using a double broiler and going not too hot but nothings working and it's tough wasting pot. looking for some help. what's a better method?

Dont know if you would consider rosin similar to oil but I recently got a rosin press. it is fun to use and much safer.. Was a little spendy but well worth it.. mostly just smoke fresh rosin now .. lots easier on the lungs instead of burning all the time. ☮

Hey there Busdriver and welcome to MP

please explain your method and equipment that you are using

what type of alcohol please , iso , ethanol , what strength?

what is your purge temperature?

what type of container are you using , lab glass , rice cooker?

Hey there Busdriver and welcome to MP

please explain your method and equipment that you are using

what type of alcohol please , iso , ethanol , what strength?

what is your purge temperature?

what type of container are you using , lab glass , rice cooker?
bake weed (14 g's) 30 minutes @ 250 place in freezer over nite with everclear (190) in separate jars. mix and set in fridge for 20 minutes then shake lightly for 30 seconds. strain through coffee filters to get tincture. pour mixture in double broiler, small non stick pan in larger pan with water cook slowly (light boil) to burn off alcohol. this is where i'm having difficulty.

Dont know if you would consider rosin similar to oil but I recently got a rosin press. it is fun to use and much safer.. Was a little spendy but well worth it.. mostly just smoke fresh rosin now .. lots easier on the lungs instead of burning all the time. ☮
thanks for your reply. i got a flat iron and parchment paper but not much luck. i'm curious...how much for press?

I think we gave $1500 for our 2 ton press with plates

anyway , I also make QWET , small batches at a time , like 4-7 grams a wash

we use a 100 micron bubble bag to strain with and anchor hoching custard cups , they can really take the heat and we dab right out of them when done

we do not use a double boiler.....we put our dish right on a single burner gas stove at the very very lowest flame and boil off the alcohol , which is only about a half a cup of everclear

when most of the Everclear has boiled off , we take the bubbling mixture and place in a purge pot with a vacuum pump at -29.6 and purge unail no more bubbles

are you using a vacuum pump?...what happens to your mixture in the double boiler?...what kind of results are you ending up with?

thanks for your reply. i got a flat iron and parchment paper but not much luck. i'm curious...how much for press?
I bought a smaller one and paid half of the price that bigsur paid.. Mini Nugsmasher is what it is called....

I bought a smaller one and paid half of the price that bigsur paid.. Mini Nugsmasher is what it is called....

do you squish flowers?

we make keef and press the keef in nylon bags by Sasquatch

Yeah I press 4 grams of flower at a time.. 160 micron little bags.. or I can do 1 gram at a time with no bag.

What's up busdriver.
From my experience, I have never been able to purge all the alcohol taste out of the oil. No matter how or how long I mixed it. Or what method I used to purge it. Which I always used a vacuum chamber.
No matter what you are going to taste the solvent you used for the extraction, unless you go further into the process. Then you would need to purchase more equipment which cost to much money for the little amounts you are doing.
Like a few other people have said rosin is the way to go. On Amazon you can find table top presses starting at $200.00 which are perfect for the diy'er.
Years ago I had a friend give me a stand up Regular press that is used for like pressing wheel baring and things like that. What I have done is I got 2 peices of thick metal that I heat up with my torch to 190 - 200 degrees. I put 3 Gs of dry ice hash (which I make) in a 90 micron bag and press. I'm pulling almost 2 Gs of good clean rosin.
You know you would be better off just making dry ice hash instead of trying to extract with alcohol.
Anyway good luck. Later..

I think we gave $1500 for our 2 ton press with plates

anyway , I also make QWET , small batches at a time , like 4-7 grams a wash

we use a 100 micron bubble bag to strain with and anchor hoching custard cups , they can really take the heat and we dab right out of them when done

we do not use a double boiler.....we put our dish right on a single burner gas stove at the very very lowest flame and boil off the alcohol , which is only about a half a cup of everclear

when most of the Everclear has boiled off , we take the bubbling mixture and place in a purge pot with a vacuum pump at -29.6 and purge unail no more bubbles

are you using a vacuum pump?...what happens to your mixture in the double boiler?...what kind of results are you ending up with?
damn....weeds gotten so high tech. i don't use a vacuum but i assume it's to get the alcohol that separates from the oil that's left when you take off too early (not wanting to burn it) it seems if i wait too long it gets (overcooked?) and doesn't mix well with terps and booster. don't know what a purge pot is and another problem i have is we have an electric stove so you know about the heat. i did see another method where you just place your oil in a jar and place in lightly boiling water for about an hour and burn it off slower but maybe more effective. the stove top was quicker but time and temp is so critcal. hate wasting weed. thank you for your reply. peace.

What's up busdriver.
From my experience, I have never been able to purge all the alcohol taste out of the oil. No matter how or how long I mixed it. Or what method I used to purge it. Which I always used a vacuum chamber.
No matter what you are going to taste the solvent you used for the extraction, unless you go further into the process. Then you would need to purchase more equipment which cost to much money for the little amounts you are doing.
Like a few other people have said rosin is the way to go. On Amazon you can find table top presses starting at $200.00 which are perfect for the diy'er.
Years ago I had a friend give me a stand up Regular press that is used for like pressing wheel baring and things like that. What I have done is I got 2 peices of thick metal that I heat up with my torch to 190 - 200 degrees. I put 3 Gs of dry ice hash (which I make) in a 90 micron bag and press. I'm pulling almost 2 Gs of good clean rosin.
You know you would be better off just making dry ice hash instead of trying to extract with alcohol.
wow. thanks for the very informative info. amazing the info you can obtain. i'm going to google dry ice hash, not sure if i've seen anything on it. a friend got me on the vape cartridges last year and i love them so i just focused in one direction. i have had some success but not even close to what you can get store bought. the oil is never as clean and it doesn't burn well....at least the few times i've tried a mess every time. thank you again. peace.

What's up busdriver.
well...well...well... first of all thank you again for your advice on the hash. i wish i had that $55.00 back on the alchemy kit i ordered for the oil extraction. i had hash a few times over the years but it's been a while. the method looks very simple and the results looked even better. one thing i would like to ask..what to look out for? what kind of problems could happen. it seems so simple...other than a dry room with low humidity....it's just seems too simple. also....how old is too old weed? i have some over a year but still strong. thanks again for the info....the internet is a wonderful thing. peace fellow stoner.

Bubble hash is a great way to go. It separates your grades and can be pressed into rosin if you like. Another benefit is you can use your trim for it and smoke your buds.

Please help. i'm having difficulty cooking off the alcohol. i can't get all of it out or i over cook. using a double broiler and going not too hot but nothings working and it's tough wasting pot. looking for some help. what's a better method?
Alcohol and cannabis essential oils love each other so are harder to separate. The most effective way I've found is heat and vacuum in a thin film, using either a vacuum chamber/oven or rotovape.

What are you trying to make as an end product? If it is a decarboxylated oil, I recommend that you decarboxylate at 250F after extraction, instead of before, and that will eliminate most of your alcohol.

well...well...well... first of all thank you again for your advice on the hash. i wish i had that $55.00 back on the alchemy kit i ordered for the oil extraction. i had hash a few times over the years but it's been a while. the method looks very simple and the results looked even better. one thing i would like to ask..what to look out for? what kind of problems could happen. it seems so simple...other than a dry room with low humidity....it's just seems too simple. also....how old is too old weed? i have some over a year but still strong. thanks again for the info....the internet is a wonderful thing. peace fellow stoner.
No problem, your welcome.
I would like to say one more thing about you trying to make vape product out of the oil you are making. You will always have a problem when you try and make your vape product because of all the lipids, cannabinoids and fats that are still in your oil. This is why you are getting seperation and it turns into a mess and won't burn right.
Now for the dry ice hash.
It is that easy.
Everyone has their own ways of doing things, which is cool.
This is just how I do it, cause I want the best quality I can get for myself.
You must remember you want the least amount of plant matter in your finished product. So if you start with your weed dried and cured. You are obviously going to get more plant matter in your finished product than if you started with your weed fresh frozen. What I mean by this is. I trim all my buds then hang them to dry. This is just the way I like to do it. And I've been doing it this way for over 40 years.
Now once the buds are trimmed, I get all the trim and put it into jars and freeze it. Fresh Frozen.
Within a week I make my dry ice hash. Using fresh frozen you will get less than half of the plant matter in your hash than if you started with dried weed.
I have 4 separate peices of glass I shake on to. Because each time you shake is considered a different grade of hash. Which means you get more plant matter in the hash.
So I start with a 90 micron bag I shake it till my arms get tired.
This is the best grade. Then I get a different piece of glass and shake again.
Then I change to a 120 micron bag and new glass and shake again till my arms get tired. Then I shake it again on to a different piece of glass.
That's it.
What's left a buddy of mine takes home and shakes it till there is nothing left. Lol. But he likes it.
But by the time he gets it there is hardly any trichs left.
Now you want to let your hash dry out some before you put it into a container. That's it.
Good luck...

Latest posts

Back